From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


  • Who's taking minutes? -> Ratty

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.





  • Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. Contact at Google says they don't want additional specific consumers of the service right now and want to enable some general way of accessing it "some time" - We can only wait right now. No easy solution in sight. Also, discussing a possible open Geolocation service.

SeaMonkey 2.0.5

open blockers (3) blocker requests (1) fixed (45)

  • Based on Gecko, targeted for May 13, see Releases.
  • Builds probably start this week; builds on beta channel ASAP after that.
  • Three bugs are waiting for landing, they should do so soon to make this release.

SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 1

open blockers (3) blocker requests (6) targeted (20) fixed (180)

  • New 2.1 Features are on their own page now, please help updating it!
  • We'll release this alpha soon, both to show things are moving and to get some more testing on that code.
  • Tentative freeze TODAY, can we hold that up? When can we move to releasing this?
    • [Ratty] we need to ship 2.1a1 without a broken new addons manager in case it re-lands on trunk.
    • Delaying freeze to next meeting might result in an even more broken trunk.
    • Agreed to freeze a1 now and go for a quick a2 at the next meeting. This would would fit in with the plan to cut a2 as soon as places bookmarks land (probably with a few days of baking).
  • Plans for 2.1: 6-8 weeks per milestone, a2 once places bookmarks have landed and baked for a few days, at latest in July, b1 in August/September, and a final in October/November (will also need to watch plans for Firefox to align ourselves where reasonable or needed).

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 37 new, 23 fixed, 2073 triaged.

  • 1981 of the triaged bugs have been mass-EXPIRED, 57 resolved on the bugday (which touched 135 bugs in total).
  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!
    • Ratty picked Error Console.

Major wanted/needed features:


  • bug 423281 Help updates.
    • status/progress?
      • KaiRo landed the help update for places history on branch (bug 472873).
    • bug 463903 (form autocomplete documentation).
    • FAQ to cover e.g. double-click / down arrow in form fields?
  • bug 483282 Make sure normal SeaMonkey use doesn't pay a price for having venkman installed [Mnyromyr].
    • Needs at least a core patch landing for bug 364864 (nsICategoryManager::deleteCategoryEntry does not persist outside of component registration) which depends on bug 480851 getting fixed on trunk.
    • Mnyromyr hopes to get to look into venkman now that he's released Mnenhy 0.8.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 471346 Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service [mcsmurf].
    • status/progress?


  • bug 460953 kill-rdf port [sgautherie].
    • Postponed until mcsmurf (or sgautherie) can resume work on it.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 410613 OpenSearch. helpwanted.
    • We need to check if OpenSearch can support all our existing functionality, for example the INTEPRETS section in Sherlock search plugins. Mnyromyr will check on that, and on how extensible the Firefox code is.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
    • Jeffrey Lee, a Seneca student, is looking into that!
    • status/progress?
  • bug 498596 Places bookmarks. [KaiRo]
    • KaiRo has try builds up, please test them. Still need to work out how to drive this into the tree without taking ages for it.
  • bug 480734 Satchel data editor ("Form Manager").
    • unowned so far.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Gecko 1.9.3) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze will look into that once KompoZer 0.8 is done.
    • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. He's made good progress and is hoping to have DocumentTabs patch ready by Sunday. We're still trying to work out some organizational issues.
    • At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That's something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (dmose) At the latest during the Firefox summit.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
    • A list of TODO icons is up in the bug.
    • Still needs quite a bit of work.
    • status/progress?
    • bug 522023 is working on improving the browser globe in task icons, etc..
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.
    • The rest is unowned so far.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 521927 Make Search, Folder Location and Views widgets for MailNews customizable toolbars. [IanN]
    • status/progress?
  • bug 545110 Add/port about:support (Troubleshooting Information page) to SeaMonkey. [InvisibleSmiley]
    • FF-parity part is in. Changes for Modern (bug 561668) have just been checked-in.
  • bug 97023 Search/Find in page UI: toolbar instead of dialog [bfrisch].
    • bfrisch said that he is currently busy with exams, but should be able to get findbar in shape for a2.
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
    • Mailnews sessionstore didn't get any feedback, so misak is planning to update the patch and get it reviewed nex week.
  • bug 467867 [META] Implement Firefox TabBrowser API in Seamonkey [misak].
    • Has patches for all documented methods that SM lacks. we need to look into properties too.

We also should take a look at the other items on 2.1-wanted Also the nominations need triaging.

  • We need to find a solution for Lightning, which is targeting Thunderbird 3.1 now.


Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).






  • Have been looking at the new Addons Manager even before it landed on trunk.
  • Bugs fixed:
    • bug 561663 Help is broken: undefined entity &printCmd.commandkey;
  • Working on:
    • bug 561600 Implement the New Addons Manager UI for SeaMonkey (about:addons).
    • bug 560772 Make use of mozilla::services for comm-central.
    • bug 560007 Remove ifdefs relating to MOZILLA_1_9_2 from generic build config.


  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 521927 Make Search, Folder Location and Views widgets for MailNews.


  • Fixed:
    • bug 554418 Enable synthesizeDragStart to specify coordinates.
    • bug 547931 Update Help for the additional settings in Software Installation preferences.
    • bug 547458 Modern theme needs CSS for about:memory.
    • bug 543160 Search Messages dialog closes when Enter is hit, rather than starting search.
    • bug 561668 Port |bug 518989 - Themes cannot give about:support an original design| to Modern.
  • Waiting for review:
    • bug 192728 Add possibility to drag downloaded files from download window and drop/move them to desktop (as example).
    • bug 556887 Reordering of newsgroups using drag & drop doesn't work anymore.


  • Lots of work on the context menu test, including its checks for duplicate accesskeys (bug 487692), including a small improvement for the Firefox version of it (bug 560867). In a second step, fixed Windows failures and some more cases, filed followups for more tests (bug 562705) and potentially hiding items (bug 562711).
  • Some discussion on our remaining test failures.
  • Landed help update for places history on branch as well (bug 472873).
  • Landed help update for places expiration changes (bug 546936).
  • Created and landed patch for using Services.jsm in nsSuiteGlue (bug 560593).
  • More work on project area tool at
  • Filed a bug and poked people for new-style bug flags for 2.1 (bug 560523), poked people for getting those created (thanks to reed and justdave!) and finally triaged old flags and requests to new ones as much as possible. Filed bug 562102 in the process to possibly get flag change mails on those new-style custom fields/flags.
  • Helped the SeaMonkey bugday, which was a great success:
  • Discussed my expiration proposal in the meeting and it was accepted, so I posted a proposal for the comment, and finally performed this step.
  • Did some small local updates on my places bookmarks patchset (bug 498596) and got some good feedback from try build testers - no major issues, but some small things. Worked on some of the bugs then, also wrote a small tool to detect potentially unused strings and filed bug 563031 to kill unused strings from Firefox places as well.
  • Landed a major update of German help (bug 560833).
  • Discussion of tree reds so we get SeaMonkey greener in this last week before the alpha freeze. Thanks to Bas, Standard8, and everyone else who helped there!
  • Also followed some exciting work going on in places, which will need porting to our side once they land.
  • Lots of updates for German L10n, bringing core and SeaMonkey trunk to green state for a short time.
  • Had some talk with the GSoC student I'm mentoring, to find some plan on what to work on first. hasilk will be workin on Weave Sync for SeaMonkey tabs and MailNews metadata.
  • Tested the Account Manager add-on in SeaMonkey and provided some feedback to that project.
  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my work, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps.


Working on:

  • bug 471346 Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service.
  • bug 507896 Upgrading Seamonkey changes file type icon for HTML files to mail.


Fixed (or in-progress) bugs:

  • bug 558614 Implement Firefox TabBrowser API: loadTabs(). Waiting for review.
  • bug 558641 Port bug 529674 [Restore windows at the saved position without moving them around on the screen] to SeaMonkey. Waiting for review.
  • bug 558646 Port bug 506482 Don't write sessionstore.js to disk for "read only" events.
  • bug 558996 Port bug 522545 [some tabs not loaded, are stuck in zombie mode] to SeaMonkey. Waiting for review.
  • bug 561728 - Port bug 537289 [Only save form data for fields that aren't the default value] to SeaMonkey.


Working on:

  • bug 521803 tabbrowser.xml: "Error: this.mPanelContainer is null", opening MailNews.
  • bug 563101 Make personas (addon) work with SeaMonkey 2.



Bugs fixed:

  • bug 538964 do_QueryObject to query nsRefPtr pointers.
  • bug 557127 [Debug SeaMonkey 2.1] mochitest-plain-5: "test_feed_discovery.html | Test timed out.", caused by "ASSERTION: Implicit native wrapper in content code".
  • bug 557374 history.pushState forgets favicon and feeds.
  • bug 560715 Windows trunk builds failing due to: storagecomps.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals.
  • bug 561116 [SeaMonkey] mochitests-5: 8 "test_form_autocomplete.html | Checking length of expected menu - got 4, expected n".
  • bug 561734 Use do_QueryObject.

Working on:

  • bug 499785 SeaMonkey can't handle spaces in OpenURL, Firefox can.
  • bug 561768 Deleting a locked profile fails silently.

Expired Bugs:

  • bug 111917 Cleanup msgSynchronize.xul.
  • bug 125452 Space shouldn't advance message when message pane collapsed.
  • bug 126366 make Set As Wallpaper support background images.
  • bug 139214 File > Open should include *.xpi.
  • bug 165362 Add menu item for "Caret Browsing (F7)".
  • bug 202806 composer: Right mouse on select radio checkbox won't open property dialog.
  • bug 210676 Editing existing selection list deletes it (using Debug/Form/Selection List).
  • bug 252276 JavaScript error: chrome://navigator/content/navigator.js, line 734: bt.database has no properties.


Working on:

  • bug 534831 Mailing List dialog not resizable.
  • bug 555452 [Addressbook] Mail List Dialog header sections should use <hbox align="end"> instead of spacers to align the labels.
  • bug 539066 port bug 151244 to seamonkey, so return receipts keep working.
  • bug 555972 Save multiple messages as individual files in directory.


  • Fixed (or in-progress) SeaMonkey (related) bugs:
    • bug 560104 rename toolkit places utils.js to PlacesUtils.jsm
    • bug 561053 mochitest-browser-chrome: "browser_feed_tab.js | Number of feeds listed: 0, should be 3"
    • bug 552731 Switch FUEL to use the new EM API
  • Fixed (or in-progress) MailNews Core bugs:
    • bug 557060 [Windows] After bug 551254, Firefox/SeaMonkey fails to build or run with error like "?_Throw@std@@YAXABVexception@stdext@@@Z"
    • bug 562655 Port bug 560723 - Sort out why the _Throw() hack doesn't work on VC10, and find an alternative to comm-central
  • Fixed (or in-progress) Core bugs:
    • bug 492476 [MacOSX] mochitest-chrome: the 3 layout/base/tests/test_printpreview*.xul need to report 'todo'
    • bug 535905 [SeaMonkey 2.1] mochitest-browser-chrome: "Exception thrown at chrome://mochikit/content/browser/toolkit/components/places/tests/browser/browser_bug399606.js:74 - ReferenceError: XPCOMUtils is not defined"
    • bug 556686 [Debug Windows SeaMonkey 2.1] mochitest-chrome: layout/base/tests/chrome/test_bug396024.xul, /test_bug482976.xul and test_printpreview.xul time out
    • bug 427500 Upgrade the copy of MochiKit used in Mochitest, to v1.4.2
  • Fixed (or in-progress) other projects bugs:
    • [qimportbz] bug 533890 Need to figure out encoding/decoding of patches in qimportbz




Any other business?

  • Need to find a way to take some of the review burden off Neil.
    • Standard8 has not been doing much Moz stuff outside of when he's working since joining MoMo.
    • jag hasn't done a sr for a long time and has barely come back to IRC recently.
    • IanN can do reviews in Modern or Themes in general.
  • The next meeting will be in two weeks, same time, same channel, but please reply to the question about possible rescheduling in the newsgroup thread announcing this meeting.