From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


  • Who's taking minutes? -> Ratty

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.





  • Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. Contact at Google says they don't want additional specific consumers of the service right now and want to enable some general way of accessing it "some time" - We can only wait right now. No easy solution in sight. Also, discussing a possible open Geolocation service.

SeaMonkey 2.0.5

open blockers (1) blocker requests (0) fixed (54)

  • Builds done and on beta channel, ready for release from our POV.
  • Based on Gecko, target for Firefox releases has been pushed to June 1, see Releases.
  • We're waiting for them to release the same security fixes as FF 3.5.10 in sync.

SeaMonkey 2.0.6

open blockers (2) blocker requests (0) fixed (6)

  • Based on Gecko, target dates TBD, see Releases.

SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 1

open blockers (1) targeted (18) fixed (184)

  • Please help updating New 2.1 Features page!
  • Builds are done, from all we know we look good enough to release it today!
  • The only things left to do are for the release notes to be finished and then having an announcement made. If we can do both today, we can release today so, please, everyone who can, help with getting those two things written up.

SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 2

open blockers (2) blocker requests (6) targeted (0) fixed (12)

  • Plans for 2.1: 6-8 weeks per milestone, a2 once places bookmarks have landed and baked for a few days, at latest in July, b1 in August/September, and a final in October/November.
  • This seems to match recently presented Firefox 4 plans relatively well - they'll go for beta in June and Final in the same timeframe as we have in those plans right now.
  • It would be good to get OOPP (Out Of Process Plugins) for SM2.1 but we need some way to build libxul to be able to build OOPP. Various mailnews work has to be done for that to be possible.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 33 new, 28 fixed, 38 triaged.

Major wanted/needed features:


  • bug 423281 Help updates.
    • some work done by IanN and InvisibleSmiley.
    • bug 463903 (form autocomplete documentation): no progress.
    • FAQ to cover e.g. double-click / down arrow in form fields?
  • bug 483282 Make sure normal SeaMonkey use doesn't pay a price for having venkman installed [Mnyromyr].
    • Needs at least a core patch landing for bug 364864 (nsICategoryManager::deleteCategoryEntry does not persist outside of component registration) which depends on bug 480851 getting fixed on trunk.
    • Mnyromyr hopes to get to look into venkman now that he's released Mnenhy 0.8.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 471346 Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service [mcsmurf].
    • Needs more review from IanN.


  • bug 460953 kill-rdf port [sgautherie].
    • Postponed until mcsmurf (or sgautherie) can resume work on it.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 410613 OpenSearch. helpwanted.
    • We need to check if OpenSearch can support all our existing functionality, for example the INTEPRETS section in Sherlock search plugins. Mnyromyr will check on that, and on how extensible the Firefox code is.
    • status/progress?
    • The current consensus it to get some basic functionality going with OpenSearch first. And then later to see how much of the old functionality we can reimplement in follow-ups.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
    • Jeffrey Lee, a Seneca student, is looking into that!
    • status/progress?
  • bug 498596 Places bookmarks. [KaiRo]
    • KaiRo has try builds up, please test them. Still need to work out how to drive this into the tree without taking ages for it. More progress locally on porting ongoing changes in Firefox land and fixing bugs in earlier patch sets.
  • bug 480734 Satchel data editor ("Form Manager").
    • unowned so far.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Gecko 1.9.3) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze will look into that once KompoZer 0.8 is done.
    • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. He's made good progress and is hoping to have DocumentTabs patch ready by Sunday. We're still trying to work out some organizational issues.
    • At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That's something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (dmose) At the latest during the Firefox summit.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
    • A list of TODO icons is up in the bug.
    • Still needs quite a bit of work.
    • status/progress?
    • bug 522023 is working on improving the browser globe in task icons, etc..
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.
    • The rest is unowned so far.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 521927 Make Search, Folder Location and Views widgets for MailNews customizable toolbars. [IanN]
    • Waiting for feedback.
  • bug 545110 Add/port about:support (Troubleshooting Information page) to SeaMonkey. [InvisibleSmiley]
    • about:support itself is done (including Modern), the Help menu item is about to be added and a Help bug will be filed. Any changes beyond that (e.g. MailNews data etc.) should probably go to follow-up bugs.
  • bug 97023 Search/Find in page UI: toolbar instead of dialog [bfrisch].
    • bfrisch said that he is currently busy with exams, but should be able to get findbar in shape for a2.
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
    • status/progress?
  • bug 467867 [META] Implement Firefox TabBrowser API in Seamonkey [misak].
    • Misak did few review spins, basically done.

We also should take a look at the other items on 2.1-wanted Also the nominations need triaging.

  • We need to find a solution for Lightning, which is targeting Thunderbird 3.1 now.


Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).







  • bug 560007 Remove ifdefs relating to MOZILLA_1_9_2 from generic build config.
  • bug 566167 Can't build c-c when configured with a relative path (Fix regression from bug 560007).

Working on:

  • bug 561600 Implement the New Addons Manager UI for SeaMonkey (about:addons).
  • bug 565191 Add build option "--with-debug-label".


  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
  • Working on (waiting for feedback):
    • bug 521927 Make Search, Folder Location and Views widgets for MailNews.
  • Working on (waiting for review):
    • bug 566424 [SM] Customize toolbar sheet moves when selecting the show dropdown menu
    • bug 566425 [TB] Customize toolbar sheet moves when selecting the show dropdown menu
    • bug 364201 Hidden toolbars should be visible while customizing
  • Triaging bugs in Help component.


  • Fixed:
    • bug 159254 Font help for User Defined.
    • bug 547559 Port winstripe about:config CSS change to Modern. Revert the change after bug 558059 brought back the flex attribute.
    • bug 556887 Reordering of newsgroups using drag & drop doesn't work anymore. Ported d&d code from TB, introducing Services.jsm to SM MailNews.
    • bug 566139 Use Suite's search tips rather than toolkit's in suitehelp.rdf.
    • bug 158773 pages loaded from search results should highlight the search term. Document the Help window find bar.
  • Waiting for Review:
    • bug 192728 Add possibility to drag downloaded files from download window and drop/move them to desktop (as example).
    • bug 545110 Add/port about:support (Troubleshooting Information page) to SeaMonkey.


  • Readied 2.0.5 for release, except relnotes - only waiting on FF 3.6.4 now for going public.
  • Reviewed L10n sign-offs and added en-GB and zh-CN (Simplified Chinese) for 2.0.5.
  • Tried to drive things to a point where we could cut 2.1a1 builds.
  • Built 2.1 Alpha 1, put builds up for testing, moved things forward to near release-readiness.
  • Done relnotes for both those versions, though 2.1a1 is still missing a changes page right now.
  • Filed a number of bugs for getting things done for those releases.
  • Investigated, found the problem, and finally fixed an issue with running into a commandline length limit on Windows when installing content tests (bug 563151).
  • Attended a local FOSS conference ("Linuxwochen") in Vienna and help a talk about "Mozilla is more than Firefox", which has been received well - many questions about mobile, Weave, and video, as well as "Mozilla should advertise the philosophy more".
  • On that conference, had some talks about out idea of an open geolocation database service, this really seems to manifest itself!
  • Also, some talks with OOo guys about potential Open Source meetings in Vienna.
  • Figured out cleaning up compreg.dat on every update/install is needed for bug 562047, wrote a patch, got review and landed it.
  • Filed bug 566125 for a Windows installer build failure, which jimm immediately jumped in to fix. He's been very kind and helpful, guiding and helping us so we can get really good Win7 taskbar support in the future. This is very much appreciated!
  • Did a major cleanup of nsContextMenu.js (bug 562339) and laid some ground for my places work there.
  • Ported the de-XBLification of bookmarks menu and toolbar (bug 528884) to my local work on places bookmarks (bug 498596). Waiting on dependencies for attaching new patches and creating new try builds.
  • Lots of discussions around new addons manager after it landed.
  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my work, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps.


  • Working on bug 471346 Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service.


Fixed (or in-progress) bugs:

  • bug 558614 Implement Firefox TabBrowser API: loadTabs(), loadOneTab() and change addTab() to get feature parity.
  • bug 558641 Port bug 529674 [Restore windows at the saved position without moving them around on the screen] to SeaMonkey.
  • bug 558646 Port bug 506482 Don't write sessionstore.js to disk for "read only" events.
  • bug 558996 Port bug 522545 [some tabs not loaded, are stuck in zombie mode] to SeaMonkey. Waiting for review.
  • bug 561728 Port bug 537289 [Only save form data for fields that aren't the default value] to SeaMonkey.
  • bug 564677 Port bug 539594 [Middle-clicking back/forward/reload should open the new tab next to the current one].


Working on:

  • bug 563101 Make personas (addon) work with SeaMonkey 2.



Bugs fixed:

  • bug 561734 Use do_QueryObject [Missed some].
  • bug 561768 Deleting a locked profile fails silently.
  • bug 564070 _getvalueforurl needlessly clones an owned string.

Working on:

  • bug 533290 extApplication.js, _prefs object unexpectedly garbaged collected.
  • bug 563241 about:addons ignores extensions.dss.enabled.
  • bug 564702 Fastback navigation sends bogus state change notifications to refresh listeners.
  • bug 565056 nsMsgRecentFoldersDataSource::WantsThisFolder and nsMsgFlatFolderDataSource::GetTargets both try to change m_folders at the same time.
  • bug 565514 Access key for "Synchronize the most recent" not usable in en-GB.


Bugs Fixed:

Working on:

  • bug 534831 Mailing List dialog not resizable.
  • bug 555452 [Addressbook] Mail List Dialog header sections should use <hbox align="end"> instead of spacers to align the labels.
  • bug 555972 Save multiple messages as individual files in directory.
  • bug 564692 Sync suite/feeds/ with mozilla-central.


  • Did some feedback reviews.
  • Opened bug 564759 Commit Access (Level 3) for Philip Chee <>. Once all the reqirements are met I'll be able to checkin patches myself.
  • My notebook died last week so didn't do much work as I was busy reinstalling everything on a new quad core notebook. I should be able to help with Win7 specific bugs in future.


  • Fixed SeaMonkey (related) bugs:
    • bug 545628 SeaMonkey 2.1 does not package widget_cocoa.xpt
    • bug 545631 Bug 521523 regressed packaging
    • bug 561645 SeaMonkey part of Toolkit bug 561116
    • bug 563012 [SeaMonkey] crashtest and reftest suites hang at startup since "new add-ons manager UI" landing
    • bug 564606 [SeaMonkey, non-nightly] Fix "Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file: ..."
    • bug 564657 [SeaMonkey, Linux, nightly] 2 "Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file: ..."
  • Fixed MailNews Core bugs:
    • bug 526817 Port bug 526668 - add option to 'unify' to allow files to match if their sorted contents match
    • bug 534408 Core bug 514665 dropped/replaced USE_SHORT_LIBNAME uses: port that to c-c (apps)
    • bug 544172 Port |Bug 538269 - Set HOST_AR_FLAGS when HOST_AR is set| to comm-central
    • bug 557042 Port |Bug 515748 - differentiate between wince and winmo| to comm-central
    • bug 559088 Port |Bug 518641 - "make package-tests" doesn't work right on OS X universal builds| to comm-1.9.1
  • Fixed Core bugs:
    • bug 517122 Remove MOZ_DEFAULT_TOOLKIT remnants(!?)
    • bug 557958 Get rid of MOZ_DISABLE_VISTA_SDK_REQUIREMENTS, which was deprecated in m-1.9.2
    • bug 559498 s/--enable-long-long-warning/--disable-long-long-warning/
  • Fixed other projects bugs:
    • [Thunderbird] bug 549293 Port MOZ_IPC support to comm-central



Bugs fixed:

  • bug 564223 Correct a couple of shortcuts in Help.
  • bug 564610 xml parsing error when trying to view folder properties.
  • bug 564680 Update Mac readme.txt file for trunk.


Any other business?

  • The discussion on potentially moving the time of the meeting wasn't very fruitful.
  •  :: I don't like the new Add-on Manager: it too overstaffed and verbose. If anyone want a new Add-on Manager, it would be easily performed by an extension. --虞海 05:52, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
    • This critique of the new addons manager isn't very helpful, as it's not very specific and the new code is a reality from the platform side. There are many bugs still open about improving the new interface, though, and I'm sure that the Toolkit team appreciates well-formulated and specific reports of what to improve [KaiRo].