- My name is Ricardo Meza, I was the founder and main manager of the Mozilla México Community
- I'm a user of the Mozilla's products since 2001 and a volunteer worker from October of 2007
What I've Done
Community and promoting
- Create the first website community contact in November 2007
- Design and create a more formal website for Mozilla Mexico in April 2008 with news (blog) and forums keeping the Wiki (documentation)
- Promoting the Firefox 3 Release party's in Mexico
- Launch the Mozilla Mexico logo contest to find the community identity
- Organizing simultaneos Firefox 3.5 Parties in many states of México
- Firefox sponsor at the Twestival México City 2009 with 5 Firefox shirts, no photos :-( just one where the Firefox banner is visible
- Firefox sponsor at the Twitter party México 2009 (twittmx), giving 10 Firefox shirts
- Firefox sponsor at the Twitter party in Guadalajara with 10 Firefox shirts (twittgdl), some pics, Firefox shirts winners and the unique Firefox banner in action again, please send me another one!
- Mozilla Mexico Community State at MozCamp Chile 2009 Some Pics with some friends.
Conference and talks
- Second National Forum of Free Software 2008 (FONASOL 2008) (the website is not working http://www.fonasol.org/)
- National Encounter of Linux and free software 2008 (schedule, October 24, pics)
- Get two slots to participate at the International Congress of Internet and New Technologies MexicoWeb2.0, one for me and another one for Chris Hofmann
- Third National Forum of Free Software 2009 - Tlaxcala (3FSL 2009) (schedule)
- National Meeting of Information Technologies 2009 - Puebla (EITI 2009) (schedule)
- National Congress of FOSS 2009 - Mexico City (CONSOL 2009), schedule 14 April
- Fennec presentation at the MobileCamp México City. News and videos: BarCamp, MarcaBeta, TequilaValley, Forum Nokia México, group photo
- FLISOL 2009 - Esime Zacatenco
- UNAM (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México) invited to explain why Firefox is the best option to use in the mexican education in the technology and society seminar. Video (43mins)
- UNAM (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México) Faculty of Engineering
- FLOSS Installing Festival in Chiapas (FESOL), México Sun, September 27 – Mon, September 28 , 2008 photos
- 2nd. FISOL - FLOSS International Festival in Tapachula, Chiapas, México, Fri, October 2 – Sat, October 3 
- 6th International Congress of Computer Engineering, Centro Universitario de Ixtlahuaca, Estado de México, Tue, September 29 – Fri, October 2
- WordCamp México (wordpress camp), yes, I will talk about localizing wordpress themes and, of course, Firefox, schedule coming soon
- Mozilla Conference at the International Symposium on Information Technology (SITI 09) Thu, October 8 – Sat, October 10, Mérida, Yucatán. http://www.simpositi.com.mx/
- Mozilla Conference, the future of web browsers. SIECC (Symposium Internacional Estudiantil de Ciencias Computacionales), Wed, October 28 – Fri, October 30, Instituto Tecnologico de Durango, http://siecc09.com
- Software libre conference at Internet Day/Día de Internet, May 19, 2010, sponsored by the Mexican Internet Association (http://www.diadeinternet.org.mx/) at Museum of Palace, Monterrey, Nuevo León.
- Mozilla/Firefox/Open Web Conference at Instituto Tecnológico del Valle de Oaxaca, May 29, 2010.
- Mozilla/Firefox/Open Web in the C4xpo, Thu, May 30, 2010 – Sun, January 24, 2010, Querétaro México http://c4xpo.com/.
- Universidad del Valle de México Campus Coyoacán, Mozilla Conference, Thu, Jul 21, 2010. http://ricardomeza.mx/2010/07/23/conferencia-mozilla-en-uvm-campus-coyoacan/
- Campusparty México 2010, Firefox 4, Wed, Aug 11, 2010, México City http://www.campus-party.com.mx/2010/Software-Libre.html#firefox4
- Campusparty México 2010, HTML5 Roundtable (Firefox side), Thu, Aug 12, 2010, México City http://www.campus-party.com.mx/2010/Desarrolladores.html#html5 and CampusTV interview
- ITESM Cuernavaca, Software libre and Mozilla Conference, Sep 24, 2010. http://www.sateconline.net/
- 2° Congreso de Informática FES Cuautitlán UNAM, October 6, México DF http://informatica.cuautitlan2.unam.mx/cui/
- International Symposium on Information Technology (SITI 2010), Mozilla and Community Web Conference, Sun, October 9, 2010, Mérida, Yucatán. http://www.simpositi.com.mx/
- IndigoMedia Online Magazine talking about Mozilla, Mozilla Mexico and the Firefox 3 release.
- BBC World(Spanish) talking about the localization of the Mozilla' products to the Mexican languages (Zapoteco and Maya)
- On National TV at Canal 11 talking about Mozilla, Mozilla Mexico and the localization of the Mozilla's products to the Mexican languages
- Monologos de la Cantina's Podcast by Jorge Cocompech, Arturo Garrido and Omar Mendoza talking about Mozilla, Firefox and Mozilla Mexico with Chris Hofmann at MexicoWeb2.0 2008.
- BytePodcast by David Ochoa talking about Mozilla Mexico.
- Dommo podcast, talking about the Firefox 3.5 México parties
- CampusPartyTV México 2010 talking about HTML5 and Campusparty
- Promote the locaization of the Mozilla's product to the Mexican languages (Náhuatl, Zapoteco, Maya, Spanish and many others)
- Firefox es-MX owner
- INALI (National Institute of Indigenous Languages - México Government). Collaborating as advisers in the localization of the Mozilla's products into languages other than Spanish like Náhuatl, Zapotec, Maya, and many others.
- Indigenous without Frontiers as a translators of a derivation of the Zapotec Language.
- Mexican Internet Association (AMIPCI) collaborating to spread Firefox in their activities.
Since the Mozilla México Community started promoting Firefox in México, the numbers are increasing both in daily users and marketshare, before the release the official version and after. You can check this data with Laura Mesa and Chris Hofmann.
- Daily users
- Septembre 2007: ~350,000
- November 2008: ~750,000
- April 2009: ~1,000,000
- Marketshare (2009)
- January: ~17.43% (worldwide)
- February: ~16.95% (México)
- April: ~17.77% (worldwide)
- June: ~18.18% (worldwide)
- August: ~19.10% (worldwide)
- Personal Email/Gtalk: contacto at ricardomeza.mx
- Mozilla México Email/Gtalk: email@example.com
- IRC: ricardo_meza on irc.mozilla.org channel #mozilla-mexico
- MSMessenger: contacto at ricardomeza.mx
Mozilla México community website