The Hive Learning Network in Pittsburgh
The Hive Learning Network supports connected learning experiences in the Greater Pittsburgh region that help prepare tweens, teens, and young adults for college, the workforce, and civic participation. Hive Pittsburgh programs happen in schools, museums, libraries, afterschool programs, community centers, and on the web.
Hive Learning Networks are connected learning in action. Situated in urban centers, these networks re-imagine how learning is organized and supported across youth-serving organizations. Every day, young people move among learning experiences in a variety of environments, from formal classroom-based schooling to informal educational settings like museums and libraries, to virtual communities and social networks.
Hive links together these multiple environments to create Connected Learning experiences in which youth can participate in accessible, “anytime, anywhere” learning activities by pursuing their interests and following their peers. Visit HivePGH.org to learn more.
Hive For Youth
Hive projects create connected learning experiences that help tweens, teens, and young adults in the greater Pittsburgh region prepare for their futures. From robotics to music production to programming to journalism, Hive projects take the things kids are interested in and use them to teach leadership, collaboration and digital citizenry.
Some Hive projects include:
- Teens as Teachers, a series of workshops that invites students to become tech teachers and mentors in their own schools and communities.
- SocialChange101, a free online educational resource and youth workshop series for students interested in the power and history of social change.
- The Saturdays at the Dream Factory, a series of open Saturday sessions at the Elizabeth Forward Middle School's Dream Factory maker lab.
- This Day in Pittsburgh History, an online webseries produced by Cornell School District exploring Pittsburgh's history, day by day.
If you’re a young person looking for new opportunities to remix your world, join the movement at upcoming Events and Activities.
Hive For Adults
Hive also serves the mentors, parents, and community organizations that support, educate, and help youth to become creative, analytic problem solvers and develop 21st century skills.
- Attend Hive events and activities to get involved in connected learning
- Connect with Hive projects to bring innovative programming to your site
- Share news, stories, and ideas with us at email@example.com
- Apply for Hive catalytic funding opportunities
If you work with tweens, teens, and young adults as an educator, mentor, coach, counselor, or have Hive-aged kids of your own, learn more about how you can get involved with Hive Pittsburgh.
Hive Pittsburgh, a program of The Sprout Fund
Hive Pittsburgh is a program of The Sprout Fund and part of the Pittsburgh Kids+Creativity Network, an initiative to build a model for 21st century learning in the Greater Pittsburgh Region. Representing more than 100 organizations, Kids+Creativity spans schools, museums, libraries, afterschool programs, community centers, higher education institutions, the private sector, and the philanthropic community.
Learn more about Kids+Creativity at remakelearning.org.
Recent Blog Posts on HivePGH.org
- The Three Tiers of Hive
- Taking Hive Global
- Teens4Change: Youth program encourages positive change
- Youth meet local innovators with STARTup SOMETHING
Stay Connected to Hive
Hive Pittsburgh is a program of The Sprout Fund and part of the Pittsburgh Kids+Creativity Network