- 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 2, 2008)
- Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
- +1 650 903 0800 x91 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
- +1 416 848 3114 x91 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
- +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
- join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel
note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself
- 1 Friends of the Tree
- 2 Development Updates
- 3 Foundation Updates
- 4 Roundtable
- 5 Other Business
This weeks Friends of the tree are Jonas Sicking, Peter Van der Beken, Jesse Ruderman, Josh Soref, Ben Turner, Judy Talbert, Zach Lipton, and Ben Hsieh.
Tomcat nominated Jonas Sicking, Peterv and Ben Turner for their efforts and help in getting Tomcat's (ed. very effective) Leak Testing Project up and running. He'd also like to thank Jesse and Timeless for helping him to get into the Magic of Debug Builds with generating Stacks and other arcana.
Mary nominated as Friend of the Tree Judy Talbert (yes, Clint's mom :-) for her regular care packages, keeping us all well-fed with great baked goods -- especially appreciated during this release crunch time.
The QA team nominates Zach Lipton and Ben Hsieh for their work as interns on the QA Companion which was released last week. They were critical to pushing this project over the edge from concept to implementation last summer. Clint and Jay put the final touches on it for release last Monday. Some quick tangible results: Last week there were 800 downloads and Litmus sign-up rate increased by 3.5 times!!
Fx 126.96.36.199 / TB 188.8.131.52
On track for releasing Firefox 184.108.40.206 tomorrow. Looking at when to do the post-mortem, hopefully sometime this week. An email to dev-planning will be sent out when we have a time.
Also look for an email for scheduling Firefox 220.127.116.11.
Thunderbird 18.104.22.168 is on track for release on April 15. Build will start March 31.
- P1s remaining to ship Beta 5: 8
- 7 have patches (in some form).
- 19 P1s closed in last 7 days.
- 136 P2s, 26 closed in last 7 days.
- code complete for b5, except for branding changes (landed only for tagging step of build process)
- 93 blockers left for final, generally spread around well throughout the team
- SUMO replacing help in tomorrow's nightlies
- Datacenter outage - Outage report
- Bugzilla patches delayed due to outage - this week
- talos debugging:
- talos framework
- stage migration on hold
Firefox/Thunderbird 22.214.171.124 [Project lead-ss; QA lead-abillings]
- Final testing of Firefox 126.96.36.199: L10ntesting, update testing. [juanb, stephend, abillings]
- Released to beta channel on Tuesday, March 18th.
- Plan to release it on Tuesday, March 25th.
Firefox 3 [QA lead-tchung]
- Coming up on Beta 5 this week
- Feature testing:
- Places: started on bookmark tests. Investigated mochitest for bug 405924. Bug triage. Verifying some deep API level bugs. [ctalbert, tracy, abillings]
- Protocol Handling: Worked on bug triage. Investigated a mochitest for bug 420401 [ctalbert]
- Plugin blocklisting: Ran tests against possible blocklisted addons for IDM and FDM. [stephend, tchung]
- Awesome bar and related testing: Verified 9 bugs, and wrote 11 litmus test cases [stephend]
- Minotaur runs for automatically testing L10n related preferences and config values were completed. This is on Windows and Mac. Linux o not planned at this time and is not really needed since the values tested are platform independent. Requested machines allow for fully automated testing of builds. [ctalbert, tracy]
- Tracked down a couple crashers:
- Leak testing: Now up to 200 bugs found since the Project started!! Filed 23 new Leak Bugs last week. See tomcat's blog entry.
- Accessibility [marcoz]
- Starting to do more 64 bit testing. Ran Jesse's jsFunFuzz under Valgrind and found an invalid read in 64 bit Linux.
WebDev Testing [stephend]
- Remora - Verified 17 Remora v.32 bugs
- QA Companion was officially released! Over 800 downloads in the first week! Initial feedback: "awesome", "very comfortable"
- Working with Dave Humphery to setup a test workshop this summer. See posts in m.d.quality [ctalbert, timr]
- Community Survey - Results are in!! [jay] A few quick highlights:
- 114 responses
- Most QA community members have been using firefox for a long time: 46% 3-4 years; 35% 5+ years
- Most QA community members have been actively involved only for the last couple years: 49% < 1 year; 17% 1-2 years
- Our biggest non-en-US locale users are en-GB, fr, de (21%, 19%, 15% respectively)
- Some community interaction #mozilla-hispano (Spanish l10ns) [juanb]
- security conference bonanza!!
- CanSecWest, RSA, BlackHat Amsterdam, Toorcon Seattle
- Lilly's blog on Safari
- Schrep featured in Reuters article
- David Ascher quoted in Economist article about social networking and email
- Extend Firefox 3 announced
- Lifehacker's top 10 software easter eggs
- Updated eBay companion add-on announced
- Mike Shaver interviewed for How Software is Built
- Gathering in SF: Please rsvp!
- 3/31 Special Edition of Air Mozilla:
- Be a part of it -- record a memory per Marcia's email.
- Special time: 10 a.m. for Mozilla Memories, followed by live show at 11 a.m. PDT
- Redesign is coming along well: en-US version should be complete by 3/31, with l10n continuing for a few weeks after that.
- SUMO Day decided: April 11th. More details about this coming up soon. Opportunity for...
- ...new people to find out about the different ways to get involved with the project
- ...casual contributors to dig deeper and get to know other people in the community
- ...regular contributors to share knowledge with others
- ...content writers, forum and live chat helpers, localizers, and everyone else to have a good time!
- Ongoing work on Firefox 3 tech/content update
- Performance work (thanks to everyone helping us out from IT and webdev!)
- 250 +/- active spectator users
- Community Participation Stats update
- Sethb update on Community Surveys
- MFinkle getting up to speed on mobile work
- Begin work on building XR apps on n8x0
- Begin adding extension related work into fennec browser
- Handled some late-compat changes to mozIJSSubScriptLoader
- End result was good for extension developers (thnx to bz and jst)
- If any other late-compat changes happen, consider CC'ing MFinkle or JResig on bug
- Dromaeo almost ready for public unveiling, going to circulate to other browser developers for sanity check this week.
- Trying to push work on getting Mochitest AJAX suites updated.
- Starting to collect info for device APIs
- Reviving embedding for Mobile - This means embedding into other programs and using XUL on devices - please see use cases and dump ideas into the brainstorming page
- Performance testing - XULRunner on ARM is about 1.6x - 2x faster than WebKit trunk on SunSpider.
- Upcoming events
- Documentation is continuing to receive final pre-Fx3 tweaks; if you're aware of something that needs to be done before Firefox 3 ships, please let Sheppy know.
- Deki Wiki transition for MDC progress continues
- Talking to a potential contractor for the skinning work
- MindTouch has tentatively scheduled April 16th for the release of our updates to Deki Wiki software - our goal is to make the transition shortly after.
- Acid 3
- Even with it arriving late in our development cycle, we're looking pretty good with a 30 point improvement over FF2, and an enormous lead over the dominant browser on the web today -- not naming names!
- We know how to fix a lot of the remaining issues already, and a few have patches, but we're prioritizing quality and stability of the FF3 release at this point.
- Can track the progress in the bug or the spreadsheet
Webdev, Add-ons, AMO
- AMO migrated to PHP5 (all migrations completed!)
- Bouncer geo-ip patch deployed (thanks to oremj)
- Breakpad processor refactor - staging this week
- added threading support
- better mutual exclusion
- queue support
- AMO 3.2 tomorrow night
- extendfirefox3 site up
- download day underway, working on an implementation of ammap to display downloads/pledges per country
- Grants and related activities
- Frank got paperwork done for another new grant, to be announced later.
- CAs and related issues
- Public communications and related issues
- David worked on various items related to the Mozilla 10th anniversary celebrations.
- Upcoming events and conferences
- Zak will be speaking at the Go Open conference April 8 and 9, 2008, in Oslo, the Leadership by (Open) Innovation in the Telecom, IT and Media Industries conference April 24 in Munich, and other events later in 2008.
- Frank is planning to attend the Freedom to Connect conference March 31 and April 1, 2008 in Silver Spring MD, and (if possible) the Berkman@10 conference May 15-16 in Boston MA.
- Frank will be out for a few days the week of April 7 to handle a family medical issue.