- 1 General Topics / Roundtable
- 2 Friends of the Firefox team
- 3 Project Updates
- 3.1 Add-ons
- 3.2 Activity Stream
- 3.3 Electrolysis (e10s)
- 3.4 Firefox Core Engineering
- 3.5 Form Autofill
- 3.6 Lint
- 3.7 Photon
- 3.8 Platform Audibles
- 3.9 Privacy/Security
- 3.10 Project Mortar (PDFium)
- 3.11 Search
- 3.12 Sync / Firefox Accounts
- 3.13 Test Pilot
- 4 This week I learned
General Topics / Roundtable
(tips/tricks/FYI, productivity improvements, industry news)
- [MattN] Bug 1368699 — ./mach build faster doesn't work properly without passing -purgecaches when running Firefox
- [mikedeboer] In fact, bug 1369035 is about no frontend changes being picked up on artifact builds, unless you do a full ./mach build.
Friends of the Firefox team
(Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Introductions)
- Resolved bugs (excluding employees):
- More than one bug fixed: https://mzl.la/2qRLxZ7
- Avikalpa Kundu [:kalpa]
- Dan Banner
- Raajit Raj(:raajitr)
- Santiago Paez [:tiago]
- New contributors (🌟 = First Patch!)
- 🌟 Alejandro Rodriguez Salamanca cleaned up some of our Telemetry code!
- 🌟 junderx fixed a bug in how the Page Info dialog reports image dimensions!
- Raajit Raj(:raajitr) cleaned up a spurious warning when processing Histograms.json, and also added some improved strictness to the Histograms.json schema
- 🌟udara.weera got rid of some extra error logging when disconnecting Firefox Account devices!
- WebExtensions now supports dynamic theming, that will be riding the trains out to release. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1341722 see also https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/02/24/improving-themes-in-firefox/
- Many performance improvements in WebExtension start up from working with Screenshots team. Most of these have been documented by Ehsan, but check out https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1363905 for more and...
- Screenshots is now on by default in Firefox 55, meaning that we’ll get to 100% WebExtension coverage for users on release.
- Support for Implement support for $0 and inspect bindings in devtools.inspectedWindow.eval landed in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1300590 which means some of the large developer tools add-ons (React, Redux, Ember) etc from Chrome should now be working on Firefox 55 see also: https://twitter.com/clarkbw/status/870609788366934016
- devtools.panels.themeName landed https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1349896
- Browser_style is now available in browser actions, options UI and the sidebar: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1330369
- Activity Stream Newsletter sent to firefox-dev.
- Just started week 4 of the Flash Shield Study. Nightly 55 has click-to-activate (CTA) as the default setting. Beta 55 will see a gradual rollout of CTA, though domain blocking will be active for everyone.
- Startup crashes from BaseThreadInitThunk has been fixed in 55. This prevents early DLL injection by third parties in some cases (which is against policy anyway), so check that bug if you’re dealing with an injection-related crash. [This unfortunately does not account for the spike from January to April, so that’s still under investigation.]
- Ping-related analysis is stuck on Symbolication server overload issues. :(
- [Form Autofill Auto-create new profiles based off submitted form data]
- Off by default until the first time use doorhanger is ready
- Helper functions for summarizing field names into groups in FormAutofillUtils.
- Implement the first version of heuristic algorithm.
- Off by default. Flip extensions.formautofill.heuristics.enabled to try it.
- Field Prediction Heuristics for select element.
- Populate select elements with form autofill profile data
- Show a preview of what would be filled when a form autofill autocomplete result is highlighted
- [Form Autofill popup won't apply to an auto-focused input until it's refocused]
- When a select element is autofilled, it should fire events properly
- Improve subdialog.js to support multiple dialogs
- Handle filling inexact matches for Form Autofill select elements
- Implement the labels attribute
- [Form Autofill Show select element dropmark in edit profile dialog in preferences]
- [Form Autofill Cache the computed fields in profileStorage]
- Store phone numbers in E.164 format
- [Form Autofill Show a doorhanger to allow opting out of autofill saving when users submit a form for the first time]
- Don’t forget to install the ESLint hooks, or integrate with your editor
- No-control-regex is now enabled across the tree, mentored bugs posted for comma-style and no-unneeded-ternary
- Further cleanup of duplicate rules, globals etc is continuing.
- [RyanVM] Proper nodejs/npm support coming soon to MozillaBuild!
- mconley has landed even more tests for sync reflows, the Photon menu and its subview transitions are now covered, along with window closing, and tab resizing during opening and closing
- We now have a test checking which JS components and modules are loaded at which phase of startup, and started taking things off app-startup.
- Reminder: if you have WIP patches for front-endy things, it’s a good idea to push those to Talos to detect potential regressions early. Feel free to ping mconley if you need help analyzing and dealing with Talos regressions, since he’s currently down there anyways.
- Hamburger panel is now feature-complete! (minor caveat: the library subview is shared with the library button, which is not feature-complete yet)
- Meat ball … I mean, page action menu now has a bookmark item (as well as the synced tabs subview)
- Still to come: Pocket & Screenshots
- There’s a veeeeery-initial library button + panel available now. Probably not worth testing yet, but available in the palette.
- Sidebar work is still progressing. You can now swap the sidebar to the opposite side of the window, and we’ve done some work on the styling of the sidebar header.
- Greening up tests so we can flip the photon structure pref by default on nightly builds.
- Jared landed bug 1364221 we now will run more animations on the compositor
- Jared is getting close in bug 1355924 to add an animation for refresh/stop
- Sam is working in bug 1352065 to implement a new download animation. Some back and forth with UX still to figure out the UX design here.
- Jim is working on a new tab loading indicator in bug 1352119.
- Johann added new compact and touch modes (that are independent of themes). They can be triggered through setting browser.uidensity to 1 or 2. Setting these will be exposed in the customize mode eventually.
- There is now less drag space at the top of the tab strip. It’s in front of the first tab, instead.
- Dao gave the Windows 10 title bar a fresh coat of paint.
- Dao also removed the drop down marker on bookmark toolbar folders across platforms.
- Nihanth is working on the new sidebar styling
- Dale is working on updating the identity block design
- [Fischer] Submitted the review request for bug1369750 to fix the intermittent issue of accessing the window object inside the onboarding.js framescript.
- [Fischer] Got the review feedbacks from : MattN. Adding the tests to test touching profiles.ini every 24hrs
- [Fred] landed the Bug 1361286 creating the message architecture so that the Automigration code can talk with Activity Stream
- [Fred] [Rex] Enabled the basic onboarding overlay on about:newtab and about:home. Now can see a little fox icon on the top-left corner on about:newtab and about:home on Nightly. Here’s the spec.
- [Rex] submitted the review request for Bug 1357046; this patch will add the Private Browsing tour and the Search tour in the onBoarding overlay
- [Evelyn] Plan is to release the new onboarding flow in 56.
- [Target 55] Fix P1 bugs of Performance Settings. It is ready for testing.
- [Target 55] Add Performance Settings section into the old organization.
- [Target 55] Update strings of Performance Settings section.
- [Target 56] Enhance search algorithm to highlight the matched result.
- Sub-dialog search.
- Fix highlight tooltips bugs.
- [Target 56] Updated Preferences Reorg v2 spec (close to be finalized)
- [Target 56] Lock down Preferences Search spec
- Simplify Page feature in Print Preview has been enabled by default in Firefox 55 for Windows
- datetime picker has been enabled by default on Nightly! Please test and report bugs.
- Big thanks to :jessica and :scottwu for their work here
- There is a workweek related to ad-blocking happening right now. More details (probably) to come.
Project Mortar (PDFium)
- JSPlugin architecture is now in m-c! (hooray!)
- Given that all facts pointing out Pepper API isn’t future-proof, the team is re-evaluating how to integrate PDFium without Pepper API layer.
- QA for one-off buttons and search suggestions in the Location Bar is ongoing
- Fixedsome bugs found by QA
- Some misc fixes to the Location Bar andsome more correctness fixes to Favicons
- Preparation work to run future Unified Location Bar preference-based Shield studies
- Shipped a system add-on in release to add telemetry for follow-on searches. Working on landing it in m-c, too.
Sync / Firefox Accounts
- TPS, the Sync integration test suite, now runs reliably on AWS. :tcsc, :rbillings, and :kthiessen are working on getting TPS to run continuously,
- [mikedeboer] Guess what its reports are called… ;-)
- :eoger landed improvements to the “send tab to device” experience in Photon.
- Firefox Screenshots is in Nightly and enabled by default! Take a shot of something. Report bugs if you find them please.
- Releasing a double big Test Pilot sprint today
This week I learned
- [Paolo, RyanVM] Nightly soft freeze in effect! Avoid landing anything considered risky this week.
- It’s OK to land patches, but keep in mind that Beta is going to be cut from Nightly next week. There’s no Aurora. Don’t crash land major features.
- If it’s a small patch, or well-tested with thorough QA, you’re good to land.
- Could we have MozReview or Bugzilla remind us when the freeze is in effect? We can also merge Beta early (Wednesday before, instead of Monday).
- Double-check your strings, too.