Other languages: Portuguese-Pt
- 1 The Test Pilot program ended in January 2019.
- 2 What is Test Pilot?
- 2.1 How does Test Pilot Work?
- 2.2 Who is the Audience for Test Pilot?
- 2.3 Who Builds and Manages Test Pilot?
- 2.4 How Can I Contribute To Test Pilot?
- 3 Website URLs
- 4 List of Test Pilot Experiments
- 5 More Pages
- 6 Archive
The Test Pilot program ended in January 2019.
To read more, please see: Adios, Amigos. The information below is being retained for posterity. Thanks to all who traveled along with us!
What is Test Pilot?
Test Pilot is a series of stepping stones intended to take a rough concept to a shipping Firefox feature or Add-on.
Test Pilot combines iterative prototyping, user research, and an opt-in user-facing testing platform. Experiments will go through phases which are designed to evaluate new feature concepts quickly and at low cost.
Test Pilot will let us take larger risks with product concepts, giving us an inexpensive avenue to test and validate product concepts.
Visit https://testpilot.firefox.com/ to try it out!
Read our Mission and Vision statements
How does Test Pilot Work?
Each phase of Test Pilot consists of prototype building and evaluation through user testing. Only in the third phase is any prototype deployed to the Test Pilot application itself.
The following diagram provides a more detailed view of the process:
View full diagram
Who is the Audience for Test Pilot?
Test Pilot is for people who like Firefox.
- They consciously choose to use Firefox
- They appreciate our unique community
- Not afraid of trying new things
- Don’t need to be technical
Test Pilot is currently in development for Desktop Firefox. We are interested in exploring similar systems on our mobile platforms, but do not have user stories for these cases at this time.
Who Builds and Manages Test Pilot?
Test Pilot is run by two groups of people: the Build Team responsible for day to day engineering, UX, and product processes and Mission Control, a group of cross-disciplinary members of the Firefox team tasked with steering individual projects and the Test Pilot project as a whole.
Team members are amplifiers for people participating in the program. When a person or group submits an idea to Test Pilot they are starting a process in which they should expect to be involved until a conclusion is reached.
Test Pilot team members help participants progress through the Test Pilot process in whichever ways are needed - from boiling an idea down to get at a measurable core concept, documenting an idea thoroughly, iterating on designs and prototypes, assisting with coding, communicating with appropriate teams around Mozilla, and helping uplift a successful idea to its next stage in life. An analogy could be made between Test Pilot team members and consultants.
How Can I Contribute To Test Pilot?
If you have an idea, feel free to reach out
- Chat with us on IRC in #testpilot (webchat)
- Contribute to our Discourse forums.
Or just chat with a Build Team member individually
|John Gruen (irc: jgruen)||Sevaan Franks (irc: sevaan)||Wil Clouser (irc: clouserw)||Peter deHaan (irc:pdehaan)|
|Donovan Preston (irc: fzzzy)||Paul Oiegas (irc: pauloiegasSV)|
|Jared Hirsch (irc: _6a68)||Cosmin Muntean (irc: CosminMCG)|
|Dave Justice (irc: JSON_voorhees)|
|Les Orchard (irc: lorchard)|
|Danny Coates (irc: dcoates)|
|Ian Bicking (irc: ianbicking)|
Looking for code?
Test Pilot is made up of a server and an add-on -- you can check out the code on Github.
Product Planning and User Experience
- Test Pilot system flow diagram 2017/01/10
- Current UX mockups for Test Pilot site and addon
- Test Pilot Presentation from the London all-hands
Found a bug?
You can ask questions or leave comments in our Discourse user forums.
If you'd like to file a bug, Test Pilot and its experiments use Github Issues for bug tracking:
- Test Pilot site or add-on: https://github.com/mozilla/testpilot/issues/new
- Screenshots: https://github.com/mozilla-services/screenshots/issues/new
- Min Vid: https://github.com/meandavejustice/min-vid/issues/new
- Notes: https://github.com/mozilla/notes/issues/new
- Send: https://github.com/mozilla/send/issues/new
- Production: https://testpilot.firefox.com/
- Stage: https://testpilot.stage.mozaws.net/
List of Test Pilot Experiments
- Test Pilot UX Workflows
- Test Pilot Mission Control
- Test Pilot Data Governance
- Test Pilot Metrics
- Test Pilot Feature Roadmap
Obsolete UX and Planning Documents
These documents aren't currently used for building Test Pilot. They are linked here to preserve the project's history.