- 1 General Topics / Roundtable
- 2 Friends of the Firefox team
- 3 Project Updates
- 4 This week I learned
General Topics / Roundtable
(tips/tricks/FYI, productivity improvements, industry news)
- Changes coming up for Firefox localization
- Starting with 57, string IDs need to be unique across channels, so across 57 and 58 to start with
- Tests will come
Friends of the Firefox team
(Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Introductions)
Resolved bugs (excluding employees): https://mzl.la/2gYQnDR
More than one bug fixed:
- :Perry Jiang
- Kevin Jones
- Rob Wu [:robwu]
- Simon Lindholm
- Steve Armand
- Tomislav Jovanovic :zombie
- Tushar Saini (:shatur)
- akriti verma
New contributors (🌟 = First Patch!)
- 🌟 kiril made it so that we don’t attempt to load URLs stored in the clipboard when middle-clicking on the content area on Linux. This is an 11 year old bug!
- Steve Armand got rid of a file we were accidentally packaging for ~10 years, updated a label in the “Show tabs from other devices” menu, and removed some pages from about:about
- 🌟 Adrian Wielgosik cleaned up our code by getting rid of a bunch of deprecated sidebar functions
- akriti verma got rid of some old unnecessary tab image override code and also made it so that we don’t change the “Go” button colour when hovering, as per the Photon spec!
- 🌟 Cosm updated a bunch of in-tree links to the new home for our source documentation, and then got rid of an unnecessary variable in our MAR library
- 🌟 ljbousfield fixed how extension IDs are stored in the tab.mutedInfo WebExtension API (they were the internal UUIDs instead of the actual WebExtension IDs)
- 🌟 Rei Colina updated some strings to match the Photon spec in our new Page Action menu
- 🌟 Vedant Chakravadhanula updated some label styling in Customize Mode to be more consistent with its surroundings
- Added a discarded property to the Tab object in the tabs API.
- Added support for separators to the bookmarks API.
- Added support for setWindowValue and setTabValue to the sessions API.
- Introduced a clipboard API with a setImageData function which allows for images to be copied to the clipboard.
- Added a browserSettings function to control image animation behaviour.
- Added a devtools API to register an extension sidebar for the inspector panel.
- Added a loadReplace option to tabs.update which replaces the current page in the tab’s history with the newly loaded page.
- Added browserSettings functions to read the current values of the home page and new tab page, and know whether they are being controlled by an extension.
- Added support for filtering streaming response data via webRequest API.
- Lots of performance fixes, bug fixes and code cleanup!
- Landed Highlights Section with more diversity
- Landed Top Sites improvements (soon with more rich icons, thanks mak!)
- Added Prerendering support for faster about:home hero element timing
- Started third Shield study, preffing on Activity Stream for Tier1+2 countries in 56 Beta
- Working with PI to ensure about:home + Activity Stream doesn’t regress startup
- Also discussing with Product on desired focus when starting Firefox
- Working through remaining 17 fx57 P1 issues
- Problems with XBL have been documented
- A de-XBL meta bug exists
- An architecture review process is being developed
- Check out our last newsletter!
- Bug 1393638 - E10s-multi (4 processes) being increased to 100% on Release 55
- Bug 1390703 - Flash Click-to-Play being increased to 25% on Release 55, (hopefully) shortly followed to 100%
- Bug 1397562 - Update staging is now disabled on OSX and Linux (update staging was disabled on Windows in bug 1397562).
- This is in response to what we think may be an issue with e10s sandboxing.
- This is why you may suddenly be seeing a flash of the “Nightly is applying updates” (like in bug 1398641).
- Bug 1380252, bug 1380254 - Optimized data in crash reports and crash ping processing.
- Open call for ideas/investigation on bug 1276488 -- suspected omnijar corruption, but not much to go on.
- QE Signoff on Address Autofill given for 56 (en-US in the US)
- Verifying telemetry data
- (Form Autofill) Support filling in "cc-given-name", "cc-additional-name" and "cc-family-name"
- (Creditcard Autofill) Collect information on how many times did users apply credit card autofill
- (Form Autofill) Collect information on how much time users spent on page with forms (w/wo form autofill)
- (Form Autofill) Manage credit cards dialog should have the ability to mask card numbers again after they are shown
- Sending message that cannot be cloned at FormAutofillContent.jsm:161:6
- (Form Autofill) Autofill stops working after switching between two forms
- (Form Autofill) Preferences shows the duplicated records after records changed while the address dialog is opening
- (Form Autofill) Data Loss in Saved Addresses when submitting to update from a form
- (Form Autofill) Data Loss in Saved Addresses when submitting to update from a form
- (Form Autofill) Tune the height of form autofill dropdown item from 29px to 30px
- (Form Autofill) Recognize "United States" as "United States"
- (Doorhanger) Alternative main action button styling for form autofill
- (Form Autofill) Ignore autocomplete=off attr for the credit card fields
- In Progress:
- (Form Autofill) Decrypt credit card numbers before syncing to server and re-encrypt them after syncing back
- (Form Autofill) Add "Learn more" links to SUMO pages in preferences
- (Form Autofill) Fix manage addresses / credit cards line height problem
- (Form Autofill) Add credit card sync checkbox in its doorhanger
- (Form Autofill) Credit card autofill doesn't work on some of the main shopping sites
- Overall: Polishing address and credit card autofill
- For 57 we had to disable tab warming when hovering tabs because it caused more regressions than we are comfortable fixing for 57. We are now planning to ship this significant perf improvement in 58.
- All the significant performance improvements we are still working on at this point are at risk for 57 because we are trying to avoid risk.
- Our dashboards show very good wins on all things we measure when comparing 55 to 57. Eg. startup is about 50% faster in 57 than it was in 55!
- Screenshots integration is now on nightly!
- Mike (de Boer) added a Downloads subview to the library panel
- Drew fixed a bunch of issues relating to the ordering, appearance and behaviour of the page action button and its items
- Rei Colina helped us out by updating some of the page action panel labels
- Various aspects of panels now look better.
- We’ll be relanding the autohiding download button behaviour today, but this time with a switch to turn it off.
- Only 1 other MVP bug left - updated panel subview animations - which has r+ and is close to landing on central.
- Various other polish bugs got fixed!
- Investigation ongoing into bug 1397092 - high cpu usage possibly caused by new 60fps tab loading indicator
- Fatter download progressbar bug 1387557 in for review, is last animation feature planned for 57
- Polishing, please report any glitches you see
- Location / Address Bar:
- The Firefox / Location Bar component in Bugzilla has been renamed to Address Bar to be consistent with Preferences
- The Search Bar has been moved to the Customization Palette for new profiles! This exciting change also caused interesting Talos improvements to tart, sessionrestore and paint.
- The latest Unified Search Study testing different Address Bar results mixtures is live in Beta, will end on 26th of September
- Thanks to the Network team, Speculative Connections don’t risk anymore to open a Client Certificate Selection dialog. The patch will be uplifted to 56.
- To avoid overlapping with the onboarding experience on about pages, the Search Suggestions notification won’t be shown anymore when opening home/newtab page, but only when the user explicitly focuses or clicks the location bar (or types into it).
- Fixed an apparent keyboard trap when the Search Suggestions hint was shown
- The Address Bar dropdown icon is not shown anymore while the user is typing
- Dão made the Address Bar show a search icon on about:newtab, about:home, about:blank
- Simon Lindholm contributed another patch to improve the Address Bar querying time
- We reduced our js bundle size from 2.6 meg to 736 k
- Send is working on A/B tests and adding password protection
This week I learned
- Merge Day is at midnight Pacific (beginning of the day)
- Try to get code to autoland 12 hours before Merge Day