- 11:00am PDT (18:00 UTC)
- Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
- +1 866 216 2181 (or +1 303 228 0514)
- join irc.mozilla.org #bonecho for backchannel
- Bon Echo Beta 1
- Setting up triage meetings, criteria
- Any scheduled landings?
- Development Roundtable
- Any other business
Bon Echo Beta 1
Links to bug lists:
- blocking-firefox2+ && tm=Firefox2 Beta1
- blocking-firefox2+ && tm=Firefox2 Beta2, Firefox2
- mconnor: can everyone please update the SWAGs on their bugs that are not yet finished? it's looking like we're falling behind based on the current SWAGs and it's getting hard to tell by how much.
- schrep: anyone need help on things or is at risk of things for beta1?
- myk: some of the microsummaries stuff is at risk (see below)
- beltzner: there's some updater bugs that I'm blocking on, not a huge implementation impact but there's a l10n impact
- schrep: how do people feel about the current look of beta1 so far?
- brettw: I don't feel so great about spellcheck; leaving on vacation tomorrow, not sure who can take that stuff
- brettw: I'm rewriting a big chunk of it right now
- mconnor: also, we're in branch lockdown, so no more landing on the branch without approval1.8.1+ !
Current target dates:
- June 15th: major string changes in for l10n to start
- June 19th: tree locked to branch approval flags only, daily triage starts
- June 27th: Beta 1 Code Freeze at 11:59 PDT (some QA begins)
- July 6th : Beta 1 Ship
- the schedule is available as an ICS file or on this page
- need to set up times for triage/landing approval calls
- are there any large landings that need advance scheduling?
Please add any status updates from the past week, including links to relevant bugs, newsgroup discussions, etc:
Visual Refresh: Chrome Polish
Visual Refresh: Theme Polish
Bookmarks and History: Places
User Experience: General & Tabbed Browsing
- beltzner: I'm a little behind, including a couple of bugs that will likely have l10n impact. The areas where I still have design decisions owing are:
- automatic update experience bug 334767 (est. 1d worth of implementation)
- major version change update experience (est. 2d worth of implemementation)
- firewall problem after update (est. 1d worth of implementation, major l10n impact)
User Experience: Session Restore
User Experience: Spell Check
- cbeard: dictionary issue is back on my radar, we've got some ideas on how to resolve this, but nothing definite at the moment
User Experience: Microsummaries
- fixed two bugs (337825, 341555) with UI impact;
- large patch in third bug (339543) reviewed by biesi, awaiting addl. review by mconnor
- six P1 beta1 bugs with swag of 7 days -- working on these this week and weekend
- six P2 beta1 bugs with swag of 5 days -- at risk
- four P3 beta1 bugs with swag of 12.5 days -- will be retargeted to beta2 or Firefox 3
- followup security review this afternoon at 3pm PDT
Extension Manager: UI
Extension Manager: Blocklisting
Extension Manager: Locale Packs
- landed first version of new add-new-engine UI (bug 336452)
- additional, lower-priority dialog refinements probably won't make beta1 (bug 341668, bug 341669)
- changing direction of search-engine popup menu (bug 339735) in review
- UI design for searchbar buttons (no bug; related to bug 341429) and announcement of new autodetected engines (bug 339735) in progress, I hear, but not ready for implementation
Search: Plugin Format
- search plugin descriptions and icons can now be accessed by FTP (bug 342010)
- widow/sidebar.addSearchEngine() accepts now OpenSearch plugins as well as Sherlock (bug 341665)
Distribution: Channel Support
Infrastructure: Platform Uplift
- Search-related docs are finished.
- Still pending:
- Session restore API
- Feed content access API
- Writing phishing protection extensions
- Best practices for extension versioning
- If you have information an any of those, please email [Sheppy].
- phil: going to circulate (either today or tomorrow) a requirements document for l10n that largely clarifies what people are thinking about.
- Chief goal: ship Fx2 with en-US and t1 locales (about 10-15) of comparable quality
- Hopefully the document won't be a big surprise. Mostly clarifying.
- However, if you've got a new feature and you haven't been considering l10n impact, then you should probably get in touch with me by email
- Biggest single blocker is the installer bug 340173 at the moment.
- Be prepared to QA a few dozen fields in hundreds of localized builds. I don't see how it's possible without some automation.
- davel: we're going to need to work with the localizers to do testing, too.
- beltzner: want to talk about l10n lockdown and policy going forward to beta1
- are we in a string freeze at the moment?
- phil: it's slushy
- axel: a good rule of thumb is that the more strings you're changing, the longer lead time you should give to the l10n translators (in dev.l10n)
- schrep: can you post a list of guidelines of how its best to do this?
- axel: how bad is skipping the string freeze date for the installer?
- mconnor: I think we need to do it
- axel: the question is: at which point do we adjust the schedule
- beltzner: can we not just localize the strings we have to date and then deal with now-until-beta changes for beta2?
- axel: the problem is that we don't have localized builds to test
- mconnor: so we need to ensure that this gets resolved by Friday
- schrep: right, so the options are: get it resolved, push beta out, not have localized builds for beta1