Platform/2013-07-02

From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


« previous week | index | next week »

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2013-07-02 - 11:00 am Pacific
  • Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
    • People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
    • SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Warp Core / SFO-Boardroom / Tor Commons
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Actions

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
  • bug 879370 - Fix or disable Windows desktop B2G builds
    • Nightly-only was deemed "good enough" and dep builds were turned off.
    • (Not surprisingly) Windows-only bustage hits Nightly builds. Hilarity ensues as bisecting occurs across 24h of Gecko & Gaia commits.
    • Mossop to own; RelEngwill enable per-checkin once the builds are working; then sheriffs can unhide.
  • #2: bug 603147 - Intermittent mochitest-plain, mochitest-chrome, mochitest-other zombiecheck | child process NNNN still alive after shutdown
    • Affects Windows mochitests on all active branches.
    • bug 603147 blocked on
      • bug 855681 and bug 855686 on file for trying to get more useful debugging info, but seem to have stalled.
    • joduinn to find owners; overholt asked bent to investigate bug 855681 and bug 855686
  • #3: bug 886057 - Intermittent browser_newtab_bug723121.js | grid is now locked - Got false, expected true
    • Windows only, regressed ~1w ago
    • gavin assigned to ttaubert
  • #12: bug 886080 - Intermittent dynamic-feImage-01.svg | assertion count 1 is more than expected 0 assertions from ASSERTION: Double UnblockOnload!?: 'mCurrentRequestFlags & REQUEST_BLOCKS_ONLOAD'
    • Linux x86 only, regressed ~1w ago.
    • khuey to investigate and either fix or find owner
Stability
  • gfxContext::PushClipsToDT has two bugs with websites that are crashing: bug 839805, bug 877629
    • milan assigned both to bas
Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (akeybl/lsblakk/bajaj)

  • Firefox 22 (Desktop) will be unthrottled today, no major issues showing
  • First 'rapid' beta ships this aft, 2 beta a week for the next 4 weeks (Desktop, only 1/wk Mobile)
  • Post-Mortem for Firefox 22 next week
37 bugs (22 bugs last week)
93 bugs (55 bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 70 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

  • Geolocation will need a Google API key now. Docs coming!

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Key Issues

(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)

Automation Corner (ctalbert/joduinn)

  • Tracking down a failure that only occurs in automation? You can request a loaner machine, you can do anything with it, and check it back in. We can equip you with any of the machines in automation (from tegras to AWS VMs). Just fill out this bug template
  • Need a panda for local development (for working on Firefox for Android or for B2G)? Here is the list of what you need to buy (open a service now request with all this info).

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Accessibility (dbolter)

  • Alexander Surkov now calls the Toronto office his home base! (He moved here)
  • Goals!
    • We formulated our Q3 goals which are still FF OS heavy. Basically we target developer quality accessibility completed in 1.2, user quality level to follow.
    • We will continue to work on community reported issues, standards, and stability.
  • Work week in Toronto next week! (All of Johnny's group)

Add-on SDK (dtownsend)

  • Last week's meeting
  • Places API landed (maybe)
  • UX components essentially complete but waiting on Australis
  • Automatic repacks of add-ons should have been pushed to AMO's review queue

B2G Simulator (dtownsend)

B2G Services (dougt/mmayo)

  • Geolocation Location Database Opt-Out discussion on geolocation mailing list
  • Oh yeah, new Geolocation mailing list dev-geolocation@lists.mozilla.org
  • Marketplace switch to new infrastructure planned for July 15; maintenance window TBD.

Developer Tools (dcamp)

DOM (jst/dougt)

  • Platform goals are up! Take a look. Send comments to us.
  • New Geolocation Module Peer - Congrats to Kan-Ru Chen (陳侃如)!
  • XBL code refactoring landed! bug 653881
  • DOM/WebAPI/Accessibility/Networking workweek in Toronto next week.

Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)

  • Had a performance-oriented workweek in Toronto.
  • Dolske posted an Australis schedule update to firefox-dev.
    • tldr: chasing down last 3 landing blockers, hope to land soon in 25, will be backing out of 25 upon Aurora uplift to ride 26 train to release.
    • Post by flod to dev-firefox: Australis currently removes strings, we'll need to keep the strings on central, if we need them on Aurora. (Axel)
  • Paolo posted a Download API dev update to firefox-dev

Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)

<Read Only>

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

  • The web is about to get prettier thanks to bug 803299 - 32-bit colour by default; we will force 16-bit for devices that have 768 MB RAM or less
  • WebRTC is preff'd on for Fx24, working on follow ups and requesting uplifts to Aurora as necessary bug 881153, bug 885783, bug 874569
  • Packaged apps and Priv'd apps are working, (try the kitchen sink app in Nightly). We're moving on to synthesized APKs, next so stay tuned
  • Double tap to reflow on zoom is just about ready for prime-time usage with the landings of bug 878931 - Reflow-on-zoom should utilize the font-inflation minTwips preference instead of its own
  • Good progress is being made on bug 857730 - Implement contacts API but we are currently blocked on review for patch about fixing bug with permissions doorhanger bug 882495 and bug 832960 - Android manifest files requried before contacts API can be used
  • We're cranking away on about:home which currently lives in the Fig branch, here's a good first bug list for contributors who would like to start hacking: [1]. Nightly builds are available here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/nightly/latest-fig-android/
  • SkiaGL backed canvas should land today

Firefox OS Browser (blassey)

  • getting ready to scrum
  • We have now have a plan to fix the dynamic toolbar
    • Fairly large amounts of platform changes needed
    • Depends on APZC work that Kats and BenWa are doing for async subframe scrolling, so blocked on that
  • Working on tile by tile drawing

Firefox OS Communications (scravag)

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (mchen)

  • Last Week
    • 1.1 Blocker Bugs
    • To study/port BT on Bluedroid backend.
    • Review the current status on JB-Gonk Porting (internal & external with chip vendor).
    • To support the engineering mode issues from Helix.
    • To setup Helix support into mozilla-b2g/B2G.git.
    • To discuss the possible reference phone on Gonk-JB (internal & external with chip vendor).
  • This Week
    • 1.1 Blocker Bugs
    • To list out the remaining works on Gonk-JB porting and assign resources into it.
    • To raise the concerns of choosing reference phone - Nexus 4 for Gonk-JB.
  • Blockers
    • None

Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)

<Read Only>

  • Last Week
  • This Week
    • 1.1 Blocker Bugs
    • Discussions on implementation/work breakdown for 1.2
    • Team Meetup/workweek plan for product grooming/sprint planning
  • Blockers
    • None

Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)

  • Last week
    • WebAudio:
      • Performance evaluaction and optimization for B2G.
      • SIMD: [bug 882171] Optimize the AudioNodeEngine.cpp routines for NEON.
      • Test case: enable test cases on B2G
    • MediaRecorder
      • Planning meeting - lock down action for the following next week.
      • Investigate and list encoder support on other platforms.
      • MediaRecoder, ImageCapture spec study.
      • Construct 1.3 internal backlog(feature item). List things that we should do in the next version.
    • WebRTC
      • E10S: [bug 869869] Preparing v3 patch according to the latest review comment.
      • Test case: [bug 884144] - gonk version of nr_stun_get_addrs() doesn't work in WebRTC C++ unit tests
      • SDP: [bug 881935] Support negotiation of video resolution
    • Graphic
      • SkiaGL: [bug 869199] Bad performance of fishie tank
      • HW Composer: [bug 881170] Camera Preview position changes when touch screen
      • HW Composer: [bug 884188] High power consumption of youtube
  • This Week
    • WebAudio:
      • Performance evaluaction and optimization for B2G.
      • SIMD: [bug 882171] Optimize the AudioNodeEngine.cpp routines for NEON.
      • Test case: enable test cases on B2G
    • MediaRecorder
      • Planning meeting - lock down action for the following next week.
      • MediaRecoder, ImageCapture spec study.
      • Construct 1.3 internal backlog(feature item). List things that we should do in the next version.
    • WebRTC
      • E10S: [bug 870660] Packet filter for UDP e10s
      • SDP: [bug 881935] Support negotiation of video resolution
    • Graphic
    • Memory Shrinking
      • Analyzing the ratio of the near-read-only anonymous memories

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)

  • This week
    • More v1.1 blocking bugs
    • Reviewing preliminary user stories to prepare for 1.2 product & sprint planning (team meetup in Vancouver next week)
      • our top priority feature for 1.2 is Email Notifications
    • Improvements to integration test framework for Gaia
  • Blockers
    • None

Firefox OS Radio/Bluetooth/GPS (kenhkchang)

  • Status
    • CDMA
      • RSSI
        • [bug 835237](gecko part), we need to provide signal indication for CDMA. The patch is under reviewing
        • We need UX for Gaia part.
      • Call waiting/switching -[bug 822210], the patch is under reviewing .
      • DTMF - [bug 869772], It should be able to reuse the GSM/WCDMA DTMF function. We are comfirming the user scenario.
      • CB - [bug 869776], after discussing with EPM, we decide that we don't support it in V1.2.
      • ECB Mode - Emergency call back mode.
        • [bug 881863](gecko part), we need to provide emergency callback function for CDMA. The patch is under reviewing
        • We need UX for Gaia parts.
      • CDMA Info Record - [bug 882985]
        • Study the Spec. and get more information from partners.
    • Bluetooth
      • Estiamte the efforts for A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) [bug 807758], AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile) [bug 834553], AVRCP 1.3 [bug 887623], and HFP 1.6 [bug 879196]
      • To know if we need different icons for BT device with A2DP cability,BT device with HSP and A2DP cabilities, and BT device with HSP cability.
    • GPS
      • We only plan to provide webapi now.
      • We shouldn't have things to do now unless we want to provide geo apps.
    • WAP Push(SI and SL)
      • [bug 853715] -- This bug is for Gecko part - Landed. We can parse the WAP Push SI and SL now.
      • Need UX for Gaia part.
    • OMA CP
      • [bug 869291] -- This bug is for Gecko part - Reviewing. After landing it, we can parse the OMA CP format.
      • Gaia need to know which items are able to be configured.
    • NFC
      • Discuss the scopes and how to cowork with DT.
      • To know the target HW platform.
  • This week
    • CDMA - To know and clarify the scopes of the following bugs. And if we get enough information, we will start to implement.
      • Roaming Preference - [bug 869768], add interface to send roaming lists to modem.
      • Preferred Voice Mode - [bug 869769], it is easy to implement. But we need UX.
      • OTASP - [bug 882983], to know the more detail information from Qualcomm.
      • nsIDOMMozMobileCellInfo - [bug 882984], to provide CDMA cell infomation for geo. We are implementing it now.
      • Network Mode - [bug 881862], it's unnecessary to do it. Will clarify with PM.
      • ECB Mode -
        • [bug 881863](gecko part), try to land this patch.
        • To get UX for Gaia parts.
      • CDMA Info Record - This information will be delivered by network.
        • [bug 882985], to know which RIL interfaces will provide this information.
        • To get UX for Gaia parts.
    • Bluetooth - Implement the A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) [bug 807758], AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile) [bug 834553], AVRCP 1.3 [bug 887623], and HFP 1.6 [bug 879196]
    • WAP Push(SI and SL)
      • To get UX for Gaia part.
    • OMA CP
      • Discuss with partners and PM to know which items are able to be configured.
    • NFC
      • Discuss the scopes and how to cowork with DT.
      • To know the target HW platform.

Firefox OS Systems - Front End (lucas)

Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)

  • Team is working on QE3 fallout and v1.1hd
  • On-going engineering planing on System window management, start-up splash

GFX (milan)

<Read Only>

  • Chris Dalton from Nvidia was in Toronto last week, working with Bas on NV path rendering back end for Moz2D (Azure)

Identity (jedp)

<Read Only>

  • Sound of collective exhale heard as FirefoxOS went live
  • Ongoing projects: webrtc + persona, FTE persona sign-in on FirefoxOS, PiCl native clients

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>


DONE

  • Compiler (JIT)
    • bug 887437: Make encodeURI(Component) faster, 13% win on Kraken crypto-sha256-iterative
    • bug 886911: Don't cancel off-thread compilation for minor GCs, GGC perf win
    • bug 876906: Found backportable work-around for PdfJS start-up issue on W2 form.
  • Garbage Collection
  • Front End and Other
    • bug 885553: Implement ES6 Array.prototype.find and Array.prototype.findIndex
    • bug 885729: Inline array and proxy specializations of js::DefineProperty into js::DefineProperties
    • bug 872824: Landed ARM patch to use new divide instruction

DOING

  • Compiler (JIT)
    • bug 888109: float32 general optimizations for ion
  • Garbage Collection
    • Focusing on getting Static Analysis running on tbpl so we can turn it on for desktop builds
  • Front End and Other

Layout (jet/dbaron)

  • On July 8-9, a bunch of us (jet, roc, dbaron, cpearce, Bas, josh, mstange) are meeting in SF to have a mini-hackathon with Adobe folks on some layout, graphics, and media features
  • notable fixes in the past week:
    • new svg:text support now enabled (bug 839955, blog post)
    • animation manager no longer observes refresh driver (and forces timer to run) when it doesn't need to (bug 878142)
    • Make synchronous decoding of images correctly happen when the reftest harness takes it snapshot if the image is not decoded already - this finally allows us to make changes to how image decoding works without making reftests go orange (bug 695763)
    • rework XBL insertion points (bug 653881)
    • prevent text zoom from affecting SVG text (bug 842181)

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Reminders from last week:
    • WebRTC is in desktop release FF22 (pref'd on)
    • WebRTC on Firefox for Android is now pref'd on in Aurora 24 and in Nightly (See Firefox Mobile section of this wiki page.)
  • WebRTC audio work ongoing (44100Hz mics cause bad drift, bug 886886)
  • Planning to land a major update of the WebRTC.org import this week (delayed from last week, need to fix Android issues which are blocked on bug 888578)
  • Expecting to land bug 860599 soon which fixes many of the H.264 crashes on Android

Necko (dougt/jduell)

Performance (vladan)

  • Firefox Desktop/perf workweek
  • bug 702559: Pure-async mozIStorageAsyncConnection now available. See IDL interface here
  • bug 886997: OS.File.writeAtomic should not flush by default
  • bug 736048, bug 888300, bug 888304, bug 888305: Touch-screen scrolling is broken on pages that define handlers for touch events
  • bug 887780 and bug 887394: Session Restore rewrite: don't collect & save state right after startup when restoring the initial session
  • bug 888347: Don't initialize nsStreamTransportService during shutdown
  • bug 883126: EXIDX unwinding speedup; makes sampling in the 200+ Hz range on ARM viable


Next:

  • Plugin & font hangs
  • Android & desktop startup
  • Landing Add-on Manager re-factor after getting a final review from :bmcbride
  • Flushing prefs off the main thread
  • New regression test for Firefox tab animations: "TART"
  • Using Linux "volatile ranges" in Firefox image cache code


Blogs:

Seceng (tanvi)

  • CSP bug 885433 breaks Disqus comment functionality in Firefox 24 and 25. grobinson landed fix in inbound and is planning to uplift.
  • mwobensmith ran Mixed Content Blocker test day that resulted in 6 bugs. No alarming compatibility issues discovered.

WebAPI (overholt)

<Read Only>

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

Critsmash (dbolter)

Memshrink (njn)

We're concerned that B2G will face a never-ending stream of "after N hours/days/weeks, the phone dies due to OOM" bugs (example) once it gets wider use. Not sure how to best deal with these.

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week's OrangeFactor: 4.73 (Previous Week: 5.39).
  • Most top-10 failures are still infra-related.
  • 19 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Stability indicators are good even for the new versions on release, beta, aurora, and nightly!
  • crash-stats has a reworked front-end up, will enable more flexible work in the future.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)