Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2013-06-25 - 11:00 am Pacific
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Warp Core / SFO-Boardroom / Tor Commons
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Actions
- 2 Hot Bugs
- 3 The Need To Know
- 4 Key Issues
- 5 Team Stand-ups
- 5.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 5.2 Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- 5.3 B2G Simulator (dtownsend)
- 5.4 B2G Services (dougt)
- 5.5 Developer Tools (dcamp)
- 5.6 DOM (jst/dougt)
- 5.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)
- 5.8 Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- 5.9 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 5.10 Firefox OS (sicking)
- 5.11 GFX (milan)
- 5.12 Identity (jedp)
- 5.13 JS (naveed)
- 5.14 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 5.15 Media (mreavy)
- 5.16 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 5.17 Performance (vladan)
- 5.18 Seceng (sstamm)
- 5.19 WebAPI (overholt)
- 6 Quality Programs
- 7 Roundtable
- 8 <Read only beyond this point>
(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)
- Orange Factor
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
- Merge day happened yesterday, Nightly is now 25
- Firefox 22 was released today, with great coverage of WebRTC and asm.js. Notes are here
- Firefox Beta 23 and Aurora 24 will be released before the end of the week
- Post-mortem for Firefox 22 will be held in two weeks
- We've got a draft up of what a B2G release schedule will look like if we're able to commit to time-based releases as planned - https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmStZDZgJbV7dDhtMDZlQmRtdDB4a1plZXRwNXIzYWc#gid=0
|Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta)||Unresolved Beta 84 Trackers (non-security)|
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)
- Broadcasting this meeting on Air Mozilla
- This was a suggestion that seams feasible
- I'm speaking with PR about any potential issues
- Are there any concerns?
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
- Marco wrote a great a11y feature overview for Firefox 24 for Android.
- All Q2 planned fixes for accessibility test asserts have been completed.
Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- Last weeks meeting
- Websocket and places API should land this week
B2G Simulator (dtownsend)
- Mockups of the new app manager in Firefox
- Rounding up the remaining issues for the next release
B2G Services (dougt)
- Push notification only UX changes away from landing on Desktop
Developer Tools (dcamp)
- Remote inspector in reviews/landing, working on a custom fennec build.
- Better logging system coming (really)
Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)
- Work week in Toronto this week: front-end perf-o-rama
Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- More front end polish and theme work completed to get the UI looking like the latest UX specs.
- Discovery async-pan+zoom work completed.
- OMTC will be enabled for Nightly builds on Wed.
- Chrome text selection landed.
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- Landed in Fx24, bug 880676 and bug 883646 - Strongly type conversions between coordinate systems and distinguish between CSSPixel and LayoutDevicePixel
- bug 860581 - Add support for Mixed Content Blocking - Android landed in Fx24 and is preff'd off while it is being polished
- Squashed for Fx23 bug 873072 - Launching settings from Android system notification crashes if Gecko has been killed.
- Landed for Fx24 bug 882196 - Android crash in nsXPCWrappedJS::AddRef, there was a perf win observed on inbound
- FHR Landed in Fx23 it time for the merge for beta, will ship to beta users in Google Play on Thursday
- This week
- WebRT Hacking for packaged and priv'd apps
- About:Home patches continue to land in fig - we're also scoping into milestones/phases
- Double tap to reflow on zoom
- Shout Outs
- Thanks so much to :maxli for the quick turnaround on a patch for bug 886077 - Can't access address bar using Spiel screen reader
- Check out: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/AsyncSubframePanning
Firefox OS (sicking)
Some notable landings or near landings:
- Multiple render targets (EXT_draw_buffers WebGL extensions) - 843667
- Mask surface - 880836 and 885020
- GTest dependencies - 882937
- Radial gradients with D2D 1.1
- Frame blending is now thread safe - 869133
- Nvidia visiting to further path rendering Azure back-end work
- bug 878941 WebRTC authenticating peer connection with persona
- Primary IdP support for FirefoxOS now in testing (kudos Shane Tomlinson)
- Sign-in to device on FirefoxOS (in design phase)
- bug 876906: PDF viewer can't load all W2 form pages - JS memory usage spiking
- Compiler (JIT TI)
- Garbage Collection
- Front End and Other
- Compiler (JIT TI)
- bug 8885660: JSIL raytracer broken with Ion enabled
- Garbage Collection
- bug 883498: Run tier 1 spidermonkey builds on all relevant trees - necessary to keep them green so we can turn on GGC - has +r
- Front End and Other
- Landed in the past week:
- Other things of note:
- H.264 support for Linux landed this week pref'd off. Please test and file bugs blocking 886181.
- Initial release of WebRTC on Desktop goes to G.A. this week. Please check out today's Hack's blog for more info: https://hacks.mozilla.org/2013/06/webrtc-comes-to-firefox/
- Working with the Identity team to add Persona support to WebRTC in time for Firefox 25
- Focusing on WebRTC/gUM audio improvements in gecko and for B2G: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Media/WebRTC_Audio_Issues.
- Major latency buildup on 44100Hz mics identified and patch up for review - bug 886886
- Planning to land a major update of the WebRTC.org import this week. Please contact Randell Jesup (jesup on irc) to coordinate.
- Still ironing out bugs with Off-main thread OnDataAvailable
- HTTP Cache rewrite: debugging integration work
- bug 885913: We use 3x as much power as IE to scroll Wikipedia, we match IE on FishTank
- bug 871596: Reduced IPC deserialization overhead on ARM
- bug 883126: Improved performance of EXIDX unwinding in Breakpad
- bug 837326: Added Telemetry to measure effect of blocking third-party cookies
- bug 880435: Fixed how we request file read-ahead on Linux
- Prototype of the new Telemetry server is now running on AWS EC2
- Work continues on:
- bug 853388: Landing the new Addon Manager storage format & flushing mechanism
- bug 702559: Creating a pure-async mozIStorageAsyncConnection
- bug 867757: Allowing Firefox code to insert arbitrary markers into profiles
- Firefox startup on Windows desktop & Android
- reftest and crashtest improvements
- using "volatile ranges" in Firefox code
- Dhaval Giani: Explanation of how using Linux "volatile ranges" could benefit Firefox
- Vladan Djeric: Update on desktop startup work
- OCSP stapling landed (bug 700693 - dkeeler)
- CSP 1.0 Landed (bug 842657 - imelven) and is enabled on desktop
- Cookie clearinghouse (bug 885136, Brendan's Blog post). Share your thoughts in dev-privacy please!)
- CSP 1.0 coming to Android (bug 858780), B2G+Apps (bug 858787)
- grobinson ialagenchev are moving security feature logging (CSP, mixed content...) into web console security tab (bug 863874)
- cviecco is making headway on replacing classic cert validation in bug 878932. (This will enable SSL pinning)
- Mixed Content Blocker moves to beta; tvyas is driving follow-ups. It also landed on Android Nightly (bug 860581 - thanks, Margaret!)
No update this week.
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
Timothy Nikkel fixed some janky scrolling on pages with many small images caused by his big fix for image-heavy pages. Hopefully this will now allow the big fix to progress through to release builds, and ameliorate a big chunk of the #1 MemShrink big ticket item.
Justin Lebar and Andrew McCreight fixed an IPC leak that was causing problems in long-running B2G sessions.
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 5.39 (Previous Week: 6.36).
- Progress being made on OSX "code -20" failures and WinXP xpcshell hangs.
- 16 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Overall crash numbers look good. Many of the Nightly crashes have been fixed, startup crashes on Nightly and Aurora are somewhat high because of RelevantKnowledge bug 860641.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
- (ctalbert) - Code Coverage - would it be useful to turn on code coverage automation? (See dev.platform thread for full discussion)
- (blassey) will push API ride the trans to release?
- (laura) - FHR: about:healthreport is now available for Android in nightly, and will uplift Thursday
<Read only beyond this point>
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)