Privacy/Privacy Task Force/January Campaign/2018
January Privacy Month Campaign is a community led campaign/initiative to celebrate International Data Privacy Day. The campaign was originated by Mozilla India in 2016 and is intended to be a global campaign each year. It is a campaign where communities from all over the world come together to learn, share and spread awareness about current trends and future issues for privacy and steps that we can take against privacy infringements.
The campaign can be observed in two ways:
- An online presence of the campaign with daily posts on relevant content.
- A series of offline in-person privacy-focused events.
Volunteers are welcome to help with online posts, events, teaching kits, localization of content and/or any other resources that might be relevant to the campaign.
We strongly believe that it is necessary for the people who use the web stay safe by understanding the impact of their digital footprint. We intend to share the best practices and create awareness in order to promote privacy and data protection. Join us if you wish to make an impact in the lives of netizens !
How will we achieve this mission
- Online 31 Privacy Tips
This serves the very essence of the online campaign. The goal is to provide a privacy tip each day for 31 days. On an average, a person will likely need to spend 10 minuntes or less on each of these. Ideally, the tip would be in the form of a short video, but could be in any another format. Tips will be shared through social media, such as Facebook and Twitter. The timeframe is the whole month of January. Daily online posts will originate from Mozilla India starting on January 1st and will be shared and retweeted by volunteers and supporters around the world. The list is updated daily with Tip of the day and related posts from #privacymonth & #advocate4privacy for later reference.
- Privacy Events
In addition, the community will be hosting in-person privacy events throughout the month of January. The team hopes that this project will go global and include Mozilla community privacy events from around the world.
- Social Media Promotions
This campaign will be extensively promoted and shared via various social media channels. Twitter/Facebook hashtags: #PrivacyMonth #Advocate4Privacy Share, retweet and support Mozilla India Twitter posts. Support and share stories from Mozilla India Facebook Page. Mozilla India Facebook Group
We intend to spread the mission of this campaign through various communities all over the world. You can help us localize the tools. We are in the process of localizing the resources.
Privacy month is a global campaign, we would love for you to contribute to privacy month campaign from your country, please contact Mayur Patil (temporary POC)
- If you are interested in privacy month and are based in India, please read on.
- Create facebook posts to drive conversations about online privacy. (Use hashtags #PrivacyMonth #Advocate4Privacy).
- Tweet about online privacy throughout the month of January. (Use hashtags #PrivacyMonth #Advocate4Privacy).
- Share and Retweet #PrivacyMonth posts from Mozilla India.
- To contribute to creating daily privacy tips, please contact Vishal Chavan (temporary POC)
- To help with engagement and marketing, please contact [Mehul Patel] (temporary POC)
- Create teaching kits.
- Localize resources
- Sign up to support the campaign: https://reps.mozilla.org/e/privacy-month-campaign-2018/ (Reps and Vouched Mozillians can sign up at the above link using their profile)
- Organize events about online privacy.
- Organize popups and talks about online privacy.
- Click pictures, write and share your experiences from these offline gatherings using the hashtags #PrivacyMonth #Advocate4Privacy
The promotional graphics, social media cover pictures and tip graphics posted on social media are being uploaded to github on the Mozilla Open Design Community Repo.
- Please feel free to add, contribute to the repo.
- You are free to use, remix the existing graphics under MPL2.0
- You can contact Tripad Mishra[@tripad on telegram] for any ideas about tip graphics or contributions.
Teaching Kits and Online Resources
*Lightbeam Teaching Kit *Information Footprint Teaching Kit *Protecting your Data: Reading, Writing, Participating on the Web *Password Teaching Kit *Resources for Presentations *Protecting You Data *Your privacy and security on the Web *Get Smart on Privacy *Teach privacybasics
- Mozilla's Internet Citizen Blog: https://blog.mozilla.org/internetcitizen
- Read about Privacy tools you can use: A nice collection of Privacy Tools
- Learn who’s watching you on the Web — and how to fight back!
- Protecting your data webmaker curriculum teaching kit
- Your privacy and security on the Web - data permeance, good privacy practices, useful add-ons
- Privacy Tools - a good set of privacy recommendations
Contribute to creating online teaching resources like teaching kits, slides etc
- Have content to teach privacy? Post a blog and share with us.
- If you want to provide content we can create a blog for you and credit you as the creator.
- More information needed? Please contact Diwanshi Pandey (temporary POC).
- Have Queries about the Privacy Month Campaign, The Privacy Task Force and more information about the Privacy Month Campaign? please contact Ankit Gadgil (temporary POC)
- Twitter: @anknite
- Telegram: @anknite