Thunderbird Meeting Details
- Tuesday March 4th, 17:30 UTC (9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern)
- How to dial in
- irc.mozilla.org #maildev for backchannel
Attendees: clarkbw, dmose, davida, KaiRo, pooyak, sp3000, kennethr, nth10sd, cilias, mcsmurf, BenB, emre, beckley, bisi, wsmWK, mkmelin
this is likely an incomplete list, add yourself if you attended
Do we have the right flags? - yes.
See the current Thunderbird DRAFT
We'd like the Thunderbird wiki be useful for people who would like to get involved. People interested in helping with the wiki, developers for thunderbird and extensions all have a difficult time finding the information they need to get started.
Good Example: Look how the Auto configuration was created on the wiki, a message was sent out to the news group for further discussion and finalized activity goes back into the wiki page.
- Continue looking at what Calendar and Seamonkey have are doing.
- Remember to make Thunderbird a category tag on each page created so it can be found from the category page
- Any technical questions answered on IRC need to be pushed to the wiki docs as they are answered
An easy activity for someone is to comb through the current news groups archives in reverse chronological order and pull out technical questions that have been answered and put them in the wiki.
Tb 3 planning
- Tb 3.0a1 and 3.0 bugzilla flags
- Tabbed messaging?
- Address book.app support on the mac?
- dmose + standard8 : address book re-factoring pushed to 8 weeks out?
- What is the release process? Change the person who is the primary driver for each release
- Who is the Primary driver for Alpha 1?
- Encourage people to bring bugs they care about to the Release Driver for consideration in the Release
Question brought up: In bugzilla who is the default assignee? nobody? default q/a contact?
- Calendar integration
- davida will post the calendar branch strategy on the news group
- Search strategy: what's the right way to improve esp. content search while not taking on too much technical risk?
- if needed, get additional attention from the SQLite devs
- Currently we are largely a mork world and it's too much work/risk to remove all of mork before t-bird 3. Possibly we can glue in SQLite with mork specifically to handle the text indexes.
- via IRC: bug 414102 is possibly a blocker
- search UI is in need of improvements
- UX improvements: how to approach it?
- general theme, improving the overall extensions system. from ideas to implement, install, and developer feedback loop; attack smaller and urgent UI issues as they come up
- cover wiki pages for improving the install experience
- start review existing extensions that are being included. Does each have a wiki page? use news group for discussion.
- tabbed messaging ideas
- lightning extension
- AMO integration for Thunderbird
- Existing UI Issues
- cc bryan on UI bugs using clarkbw at gnome dot org account
- bryan will begin to look over feature discussions
- Features in extensions worth integrating
- collect information various places and create a place (wiki page?) for the most useful extensions to be explored
- ex. eight killer thunderbird extensions
- contact support forums for information
- collect statistical information from AMO
- sync on arrival extension
- show InOut mentioned
Apple and Sun are providing some hardware on long term loan. Should help in particular with setting up test infrastructure for mail, news, and calendaring. More news when they're setup.
- need to set up many different kinds of mail and caldav servers for testing
- also include setup of an exchange server for testing
- calendar group meeting in april, we should join them if we can
- perhaps we should have a thunderbird group meet together around that time?
- Question of Is "Gecko" 1.9 only Firefox?