What is it? -- Multiple team meetings, happening in the same city, at the same time + some opportunity to get together as one big group as well as with other teams as it makes sense. Then, on the last day, we have a fun social event for all, Mozilla-style!
The information on this wiki primarily applies to Full time and contractor staff. If you are a volunteer contributor or intern, please inquire to your coordinator.
- 1 Dates, Location and Weather
- 2 Registration
- 3 Schedule at a Glance
- 4 Food & Drink
- 5 Photos
- 6 Hotel
- 7 Travel
- 8 Ground Transportation
- 9 Immigration
- 10 San Francisco All Hands Expense Policy
- 11 Families/Guests in San Francisco
- 12 Extracurricular Activities
Dates, Location and Weather
Monday, June 26 - Friday, June 30, 2017 (travel days are Monday the 26th & Saturday the 1st*) in San Francisco, CA.
*For those countries where rest time is required on weekends (vs. work travel), Mozilla will cover a return on the next available work day, if you choose. This needs to pre-approved and pre-arranged.
- National Weather Service: forecast in ⁰C, forecast in ⁰F
- Temperatures in downtown San Francisco in late June are likely to have nighttime lows around 10-13 ⁰C / 50-56 ⁰F and daytime highs around 16-24 ⁰C / 61-75 ⁰F. But the weather is very occasionally warmer with highs around 27⁰C / 81⁰F.
- Weather in San Francisco in the summer is variable; it can become substantially cooler and foggier in the late afternoon; be prepared for temperatures to fall to 13⁰C / 56⁰F and the winds to pick up in the afternoon. Be prepared by carrying a warmer layer with you.
- Weather in other parts of the Bay Area can be much warmer than in San Francisco, even if you're only traveling 15km away. Look at the weather forecasts for where you're going. It's entirely possible for it to be 19⁰C / 66⁰F in San Francisco and simultaneously be 32⁰C / 90⁰F in Orinda. But if you're right on the ocean, the air temperature is likely to match the water temperature, which is probably around 12⁰C / 54⁰F.
This is an invite-only event.
Advance registration is required. Attendees will need to wear their event badge at all times, including to evening events. We will have increased security at our events who will be ensuring everyone in our space should be there.
We have a process to identify new hires each Monday and will invite them to book travel. No action necessary from managers other than to let them know about the event. Please work closely with your recruiting manager as they are aware of all deadlines.
The process for nominating volunteers is outlined here: Volunteers nomination.
Schedule at a Glance
Monday is primarily your travel day. You'll be able to pick up your registration stuff between 12:00 pm and 9:00 pm, as well as attend the Welcome Reception at the Hilton from 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm.
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
These days are team focused days. Check with you team about what you'll be doing these days. We'll host centrally located breakfast, lunch and and afternoon break for everyone.
Friday will include team time, some end of week wrap up time + our closing party at the California Academy of Sciences from 7:00 pm - 12:00 am. We'll have transportation to/from the venue and hotel.
Departure day only. No scheduled activities.
Food & Drink
Breakfast, lunch & snacks will be provided and paid for centrally for attendees. Details about dinners will be shared soon.
Allergies: We will ensure that all food/environmental allergies are taken into consideration and will always have gluten-free and vegan options (and gfv options). If you have severe allergies that we need to know about; you can indicate in registration.
If you see someone with a red lanyard, please don't take photos of them. They have opted out of being in photography.
Hotel rooms are reserved for all employees & volunteers to stay all week, including employees based in San Francisco (just as if we were somewhere you don't live). We are hopeful Mozilla-locals will stay with the rest of us in the hotel - it's really part of what makes these events great. If you have a situation that makes that hard, please let me know.
Links were emailed (email subject: [San Francisco All Hands] Registration Open) to book hotel 3 days pre and 3 days post at our negotiated rate. The pre/post reservations will require the use of an LDAP email* so we can link them to your All Hands reservation. Rooms booked by any method except this link will not be linked to your main reservation. If you did not receive the links, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request them.
Rates start $249+tax/fees & for double occupancy, goes up by $20 each for a 3rd and 4th person.
Booking travel is now open. Please book itineraries by Friday, April 14, 2017.
Arriving Early/Departing Late Guidelines
Our standard travel guidelines apply (pre-populated in Egencia) when booking with a few additional budget constraints. Anything booked outside of them will require approval. Most people will arrive on Monday, June 26 and leave on Saturday, July 1. Here are some exceptions:
- If you live in a country where work travel is prohibited on weekends, you may travel on Friday, June 23 and Monday, July 3, if you’d prefer (not required). For hotel, you will book and pay on your own, and expense the manager approved amount (which is coded to your cost center).
- If you plan to spend some extra personal time in San Francisco (choosing to arrive before Monday, June 26 or depart after Saturday, July 1), you'll need to create an itinerary in Egencia for standard dates/locations within the San Francisco Portal and compare to the custom dates you'd like. Please share the difference via email to email@example.com or through the approval comment box when you submit the flight. You can sway up to +$100 over and Mozilla will cover it. Otherwise you'll need to come with an alternate itinerary that fits within the pricing (like a round trip in and out of SFO w/ longer dates, and you personally book & cover the rest). We do not have the ability for employees to reimburse Mozilla for any overage.
- If you are attending the Monday Core Influencer's event (by invite).
- If you would like to arrive early to recover from jetlag, you will need manager approval for any additional costs associated with the extension. There is no unilateral "All Hands" approval based upon timezone to arrive early. For hotel, you will book and pay on your own, and expense the manager approved amount (which is coded to your cost center).
Booking Family Travel
Once travel has opened to staff, you may book family, whether they will accompany you on your flight or join us later; and you have two options: Direct or through Egencia.
If you choose to book family through Egencia, please first book your own flight and then call Egencia with your airline confirmation number (staff do have to go through Egencia). Otherwise, you can book family direct (either through the airline or through another third party) and call the ticketing airline(s) with both confirmation numbers and ask them to link your reservations, so they know you are traveling together. They should also be able to assign seats together. You will avoid the limited hours Egencia offers and avoid paying their ticketing fee.
If you prefer to book your family through Egencia, you can pay (including the Egencia booking fees) and coordinate with your own travel (recommend to book and then call/email Egencia with your itinerary number to match for family). Note that booking through Egencia does not put you on the same reservation, nor guarantee the reservations will be linked (you would still need to call the airline to link them).
- Call: +1 (877) 264-1622 or +1 (417) 521-0273; Monday - Friday 9 am - 6 pm EST. If you call outside these hours, you will get an after hours agent, who may not be as helpful.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The email is monitored Monday - Friday 9 am - 6 pm EST. If you email, you will eventually need to call with a credit card (for fares & fees for family) and personal details of travelers, but the email can get the flights set-up. The agents will need to following information in the initial email to search for flights: Departure City (hometown) & Arrival City (should be SFO), Travel dates & Number of people traveling together + legal names
Large Device bans on flights
Recently, the United States and United Kingdom announced a ban on devices larger than a phone on certain flights and certain airlines.
Inbound to the US, this affects 9 airlines + 10 Direct flights into the US Airline:
- EgyptAir; Emirates
- Etihad Airways
- Kuwait Airways
- Qatar Airways
- Royal Air Maroc
- Royal Jordanian
- Saudia (Saudi Arabian Airlines)
- Turkish Airlines)
Direct flights from specific airports: Istanbul, Turkey; Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates; Doha, Qatar; Amman, Jordan; Cairo, Egypt; Casablanca, Morocco; Jeddah and Riyadh in Saudi Arabia; Kuwait City, Kuwait.
Inbound to the UK affects all inbound flights from 6 countries: Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Saudi Arabia & Tunisia.
What does this mean for you if you are traveling through one of these airports or on one of these airlines? Potentially:
- a decision between # of layovers and having your devices with you
- Not bringing devices
- Checking devices & ensuring everything is secured and backed up
Please make sure to check layovers to ensure you are either aware of the bans, or to avoid flights. Keep in mind that your flight doesn't have to originate in one of these cities to be banned. You could have a layover and still have challenges.
Mozilla provides emergency medical accident and illness cover for all global employees/interns and their dependents. You can view more information on Mana. This coverage begins at the time the you leave home to start your business trip. It also has a provision for a 14 day extension for leisure travel outside of the business travel. If you have additional questions, please email email@example.com.
Mozilla does not cover travel insurance for volunteers.
Air Travel Fine Print
Change fees will be covered by Mozilla for business reasons only. If you need a change and have manager approval, email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to requesting the change with Egencia. Once you have approval, call Egencia to make the change at +1 (702) 939-2530 or +1-877-264-1622 (note this will not be possible without prior approval so be sure to get that by way of an email from your manager to Brianna Mark). If you are changing for personal reasons, the change in airfare, change fee and Egencia fee is your responsibility.
Mozilla will not reimburse for Business/First class upgrades or tickets.
Any submitted expenses needs to have an itinerary attached to ensure it is employee expenses only and within policy.
All Mozillians and guests who have flights arriving anytime on Monday, June 26th in San Francisco International Airport (SFO) and out on Saturday, July 1, will be transferred to the hotel. If you arrive into another airport (OAK or SJC) or on a different date, ground transportation is on your own.
Mountain View Office Shuttle
We will provide a shuttle from the Mountain View office on Monday, June 26th (time and qty TBA). We will return to Mountain View on Saturday, July 1.
You can get dropped off or park at the office. Normal property and office security will keep an eye on your cars.
Any questions on immigration should be sent to email@example.com.
If you are from a country that requires a B-1/B-2 business visitor visa to enter the US, please plan for it early as government processing times constantly change.
Please visit the following website to learn more about the visa application process and timing for your country: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html#overview. Current estimated processing times at the US Embassies and Consulates abroad can be found at: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/wait-times.html/
Some travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without first applying for a B-1/B-2 visa, if they are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP or "ESTA"). You are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if you:
- Intend to enter the United States for 90 days or less for business, pleasure or transit
- Have a valid passport lawfully issued to you by a Visa Waiver Program country: http://www.esta.us/visa_waiver_countries.html
- Have authorization to travel via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/
- Arrive via a Visa Waiver Program signatory carrier (all commercial airlines meet this requirement)
- Have a return or onward ticket
- Travel may not terminate in contiguous territory or adjacent islands unless the traveler is a resident of one of those areas
Employee Travel FAQ
This FAQ addresses questions about how to handle security concerns and electronic devices at the border and how to engage with US Customs & Border Protection (CBP). While it specifically focuses on concerns related to travel to the United States, much of this guidance is applicable to travel elsewhere. Mana access required.
A pocket letter is recommended to keep on hand for those who are entering the United States. It should accompany you whether or not you are required to have a visa to enter. You may request a copy of that letter when you register online. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require a specific letter for your visa application or if you have any questions regarding your citizenship, visa capabilities or travel related questions.
ESTA Point of Contact
In the ESTA application you need to give a "U.S. Point of Contact Information".
Please list Heather Durham as your US Point of Contact. Address: 331 East Evelyn Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94041 Phone: 408.505.3028
San Francisco All Hands Expense Policy
1. All "All Hands" Expenses must be submitted on 1 (and only 1) Expense report (e.g. San Francisco All Hands Expense Report)
2. It must contain only those expenses relative to the All Hands Event (5-10 days of pre-post activity only)
3. If your submitted expense report for All Hands is submitted outside these guidelines, it will be rejected and you will be asked to re-submit with only All Hands Expenses
4. The deadline to submit the San Francisco All Hands Expense Report is August 31, 2017.
5. Expenses related to team events, room service, mini-bar charges, and food/drink costs above the vouched amounts, will not be approved.
The intention of our all hands are to centrally organize a structure that includes:
- Meals (two/day + snacks)
- Some number of social events
Due to the nature of the San Francisco, employees will be expensing specific meals. The amount that can be expensed will be communicated and expenses submitted can not exceed the approved amounts. Any social events that are not part of our central plan will generally be self-organized and funded by participants.
Cell phone reimbursement policy
Cell phone reimbursement must be approved by your manager prior to submitting the expense. Teams will decide for their staff what is appropriate to expense.
Internet reimbursement policy
Internet will be provided in all guestrooms and meeting space in all hotels. If you opt to upgrade/add service, those costs are not reimbursable, unless previously approved by your manager and are for business reasons.
If you have questions about any of this, please reach out to email@example.com
Families/Guests in San Francisco
Of course our focus, for the majority of the week, will be on Mozilla. Everyone is expected to be present and engaged each day, during work hours (as your schedule dictates). Please do what you can to make sure your loved ones understand the kind of commitment you’ve made. Family should not join you during your work sessions (other than the more tiny beings). Please note that what are able to do for families varies by each location.
Quick summary logistics
Air Travel: Family travel can be booked/coordinated through Egencia by calling direct; or on your own. Employees do need to book via Egencia regardless of how families are booked.
Hotel: They are welcome to stay with you, however, any additional room expenses will be yours to cover. All room rates are based upon single occupancy and costs to add guests vary by hotel. Breakfast is not inlcuded in any of the guest room rates. Hotels will be assigned based upon team and a part of registration. Once hotels are assigned, we will provide a link or contact add guests.
Meals: Breakfast and lunch are on their own. They are invited to join our evening festivities, we just ask that you let us know they'll be there in registration.
Costs for these activities are self-funded and can not be expensed. Feel free to add activities and invite others.