The Mozilla Foundation board is responsible for the overall corporate governance of Mozilla and provides direct strategic oversight of programs operated directly by Mozilla Foundation staff.
The board participates in the yearly development of Mozilla Foundation goals and approves an annual budget based on these goals. They are also responsible for selecting, supporting and evaluating the Executive Director of Mozilla Foundation and its subsidiary, the Mozilla Corporation.
The Mozilla Foundation board is currently recruiting new members. For more information please review the job description.
For more information on the board, visit this FAQ.
- Mitchell Baker, Chair of Mozilla Foundation and Mozilla Corporation
- Brian Behlendorf, Executive Director at Hyperledger and Apache founder
- Helen Turvey, Executive Director of the Shuttleworth Foundation
- Mark Surman, Executive Director of Mozilla
- Mohamed Nanabhay, Deputy CEO of the Media Development Investment Fund (MDIF)
- Nicole Wong, Attorney specializing in Internet, media and intellectual property law
- Navrina Singh, Co-Founder of Credo AI
- Wambui Kinya, Vice President of Partner Engineering at Andela
Former Board Members
- Ronaldo Lemos, Project Lead for Creative Commons Brazil
- Bob Lisbonne, Lecturer at Stanford Graduate School of Business, former CEO of Luminate and former Netscape VP
- Cathy Davidson, Professor of English at Duke University
- Joi Ito, MIT Media Lab Director and Creative Commons Chair
- Mitch Kapor, Co-Founder and Former Chair, Electronic Frontier Foundation
Expanding the Board of Directors
In early 2020 Mozilla decided to expand the Board of Directors to include new skills and areas of focus that mirror the growth of our work. This search brought us to Navrina Singh, our latest addition to the board.
Recruiting for the board remains open.
The board convenes four times per year — usually twice in person, and two times by phone — to discuss Foundation strategy and operations. Additionally, the board meets once annually with the Mozilla Corporation CEO to receive a strategic update. The schedule is loosely as follows:
- Q1 Financial Approvals
- Q2 Cross Over Meeting with Mozilla Corporation
- Q3 Programmatic Focus
- Q4 Year End
Board members also serve on committees or work with senior staff on special projects. Committees exist for:
- Audit which includes Brian Behlendorf, Navrina Singh & Nicole Wong;
- Diversity which includes Helen Turvey, Mark Surman, Nicole Wong, & Wambui Kinya;
- Finance, investment and compensation which includes Brian Behlendorf, Helen Turvey & Wambui Kinya; and
- Programs which includes a mix of board members (Helen Turvey, Mohamed Nanabhay, Navrina Singh & Nicole Wong) and non-voting advisory members (Alix Dunn & Amba Kak).
The next meeting of the Mozilla Foundation Board of Directors will be held in April, 2022.
This section added in September 2020 to provide increased transparency and an historical record for Mozilla board discussions. We will be updating this regularly with public copies of all board presentations.
Below are public copies of the board presentations dating back two years.
- February 2022 Annual Plan and Budget
- November 2021 2021 Programs Review and 2022 Emerging Plans
- July 2021 Board (Virtual) Retreat, Program Updates
- April 2021 Joint Mozilla Corporation/Foundation Session
- February 2021 Annual Plan and Budget
- November 2020 Annual Review and 2021 Planning
- July 2020 Mid-Year Review in lieu of Annual Retreat
- May 2020 Special Session
- February 2020 Annual Plan and Budget
- November 2019 Pan-Mozilla Strategy Meeting
- July 2019 Board Retreat & Mid-Year Review
- April 2019 Board Elections
- February 2019 2019 Budget
We focused on getting more recent materials up as part of this refresh we’re working to go back as far as we can over the coming months.