Current release status
- Someone volunteered to help us (a non-Perl programmer) and Dylan suggested helping with release
- No response yet, but they might get back to us
- Idea is not to block on work time for Dylan or dkl
- The process is now fairly documented, so if you are able to help, please let us know
dkl: doing a point release is 1 hour of work plus reviews, but can take up to 2 days spread out. A major release is a bit more.
Gerv: can we make a release faster? E.g.
- Do less work?
- Speed up the work we do do?
- Leverage Github for release notes (dkl)?
Can we generate release notes from github and commit messages? (GitHub's docs on this are https://help.github.com/articles/creating-releases/ and it doesn't look like you can tag merged PRs as a part of a release and have release notes auto-generated, but there are plenty of third party tools that do that.)
dkl's release process is here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:Release_Process Feel free to suggest optimizations!
Need to make sure important blockers are fixed because making a release is still a lot of work.
Current release-critical challenges
- Dylan has written code to replace File::Slurp.
Replacing PatchReader with diff2html
- See https://diff2html.xyz/demo?diff=https://github.com/bugzilla/bugzilla/commit/14ee84314a54c530f7a71420334c978c43cebeb3#
- Lovely HTML view of diff
- Need to fix the patch to use our bundled copy of highlight.js
- Patch doesn't actually remove PatchReader because it's used for interdiff
- (interdiff doesn't work well on mercurial patches because of lack of context)
- Dylan thinks we can remove it for upstream Bugzilla for this version
- dkl: can we move it to an extension?
This idea received general assent.
Planning for December-March Intern Work (focus: UI)
- Dylan is fairly sure who it is but isn't announcing their name yet
- Someone who can work on both back-end and front-end
- Aim to improve the UX
bugs.kde.org used to be a great example of what was possible, but they just upgraded, and now it looks like Dusk! See http://imgur.com/wZTI8Dn for a screenshot.
Definitely want to integrate the modal bug view before diverging the UI from BMO.
BMO/trunk merge status
- Proceeding in a good way, but status unchanged since last month
- BMO is becoming more like upstream slowly, as things get cherry-picked
- E.g. REST API is about to become pretty similar
Landfill task refresh or replacement
Dylan: One of two things needs to happen before next meeting:
- SSH access to landfill for dylan
- Wipe it and install CentOS 6 or 7
- Move everything over to other hardware
Gerv: what does landfill still do?
- Runs multiple test Bugzillas
- Runs WebIRC thing
Gerv suggests just starting again, as it would be quicker.
- Gerv to reach out to wicked to ask if that's OK
- Dylan to find out the best place to host new landfill given memory etc. requirements
- dkl: how about a Patreon to play for Landfill hosting, get someone to do bugzilla fan art as a perk to funders.
Any other business
- Frederic noted a UI discrepancy in sandstone and fish fixed it in a week - nice work :-)
- Gerv is keen to get jfearn's pod2rst patch in - jfearn wil file a bug