CampusReps:Guide Meetings 052009
Campus Reps Meeting to review design from Nobox, and discuss next steps for the project.
Changes to Nobox's original design
- Remove horizontal navigation bar from header
- Create new vertical navigation block in right sidebar
- Move Campus Reps logo to new block in right sidebar (above the new menu)
- Remove the blue background
- Create the "Marketing" page to be a more general page within SFX (not Campus Reps specific)
- Change "materials" to "resources" to be consistent with SFX redesign
Solo site vs. On SFx
- Based on our discussions and weighing the pros and cons, we're sticking to implementing the guide in SFX
- On SFx
- better identity, SFx is meant to be the home of such projects, that's what it's there for
- better resource sharing, having lots of resources in one spot makes SFx better, and makes discovery easier for the end-user
- less change, campus reps already has a place and identity on SFx. End users know where it lives.
- Tools suck, but campus reps could be a good drive to get the tools upgraded
- Design will have to change. Aspects of the new design just don't fit on SFx
- Solo site
- more room to work with the new design
- worse identity,
- big change for end users.
- The home of campus reps changes.
- The dynamic content tools would all change
- lots more work to figure out new dynamic tools (comments, news posts, discussions, events, etc)
- linking from SFx to solo site drives content away from SFx
Major design flaws
- looks like a site within a site
- horizontal navigation
- Drupal sidebar navigation
- designs show the view of a logged out user, when logged in, Drupal's per-project nav is going to make this really confusing
- "Mozilla Community Marketing" could be used by all SFx members, shouldn't be specific to Campus Reps
- resources vs. materials
- during sfx v3, we changed materials -> resources
- Projects vs Sfx Projects
- this has a major impact on projects page header in the new design
- lots of images
- could make implementation a pain, but I'd have to ask neilio/rdoherty what they think
- makes site slower
- whole thing seems geared toward new campus reps
- Marketing page
- "ideas", "ways to educate", "stay connected" are the real meat of the page and should get more emphasis
- Each point should lead to more information, lots of info, to make it easy for campus reps to get rolling
- design is very rigid, which makes l10n impossible
- we don't l10n now, so we'll have to jump this hurdle in the future when we do
- per-project branding
- per-project secondary nav
- Example 1
- part of this could be that the navigation can have a custom color, to match the logo
- Ask the community what they think about the new design
- minimized sfx header
- What kind of tools do you need?
- Can these tools be 3rd party?
- What is dynamic content, what is static?
- How will this dynamic content change?
- Google maps
- Where do the locations for the markers come from?
- [This is future implementation, but for now I will create a Google map of locations from the cities of my campus reps; I have this data in a spreadsheet]
- As a solo site, how would you link to SFx? How would you link from SFx-> solo site?
- Do campus reps have to register?
- Let's say a user is an experienced campus rep, do they have a part of this design? i
- what does a returning user need from a campus reps website?
- What happens to the "river of news" that exists on the campus reps page currently?
My Humble Opinions (buchanae)
- blue background color should go
- There is an over load of campus reps branding in the header
- The navigation is hidden among all the other large images in the header