Why are we doing about:weave? These are our high level design goals, with some best practices sprinkled in.
- Reduce the number of steps between downloading the Sync add-on and actually getting sync set up and running.
- Emphasize weave's guiding principles, especially:
- Encryption by default
- Freedom to set up your own server
- Choice of what (not) to sync
- Optimize for sane defaults but allow for power users to tweak settings all they want
- Keep users informed of what we're doing at all points - this is their data we're working with
- Warn them before taking extreme actions, such as:
- Deleting all data
- Starting over etc.
- Get out of their way as much as possible and only prompt if some information that's required is missing
- Ensure users have a sense of accomplishment when they set up Sync.
- FIXME - Dan has a few other points he wants to add here.