The first Mozilla South Asia Inter-Community meet-up will take place in Kathmandu, Nepal, on 23-24 February 2013, with the coordination from Mozilla Nepal Regional community. It will bring together community leaders from the South Asia, including paid staff from across the SAARC countries, to meet for 3 days of presentations, breakout sessions and discussions to plan the implementation of the Mozilla South Asia community road map for 2013 and ensure that the regional community is fully aligned with greater engagement efforts across the Mozilla organization.
The aim of the workshop is to enable Mozilla communities in the South Asia region to share and learn from each other's experience working on the Mozilla Project, improve collaboration in the future, and work on specific tasks. The event will be focused on operations & roadmap planning for each existing local communities of the South Asia.
South Asia is a unique region with diverse cultures and with a great community presence. The three day meet will help nurture, plan and motivate the regional communities to collaborate, develop and grow.
The core goal of this event is to determine the near-future action planning in South Asian region. Hence, this is a leadership meetup. Although, we'll have the opportunity to flaunt Mozilla presence in a public cross-community FOSS event at Open Data Day, on the afternoon of 23rd Feb.
In this public event for Open Data Day (ODD), with the assistance of Mozilla Nepal community, we can spread awareness about Mozilla project, Firefox Mobile & Desktop, Firefox OS, Webmaker, and how easy it is to get involved in it.
Expect expectations from you. Represent your community, be proactive. Prepare to talk about your focus area, your contribution, new ideas you'd like to get a feedback on, or want to suggest changes on how something has been done in the community.
Meeting Notes: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/Mozilla-SAARCamp-2012-Notes (The entire session will be recorded, so no need to transcript the entire speaking - just the gist & pointer for further discussion would be fine.)
- Friday [Feb 22, 2013]:
- 18:00-19:00 - MozCafe & Introduction
- 20:00-21:00 - Community Dinner
- Saturday [Feb 23, 2013]:
- 8.00-8.45 - Breakfast
- 9:00-10:30 - Introduction
- Who am I?
- What do I do in Mozilla?
- What am I planning to do in 2013 for Mozilla?
- 10:30-11:00 - Tea Break
- 11:00-12:00 - Cross-community brainstorming
- Which big goal will you set for 2013?
- Which ideas from other communities would you want to implement in your region?
- 12:00-13:00 - Lunch
- 13:30-18:00 - Open Data Day (Public Event)
- 19:00-20:00 - Breakout Sessions
- 20:30-21:30 - Dinner
- Sunday [Feb 24, 2013]:
- 8:00-8:45 - Breakfast
- 9:00-12:00 - Local Communities: Challenges and Success Stories
- 12:00-13:00 - Lunch
- 13:00-15:30 - Community Collaboration
- 15:30-16:00 - Tea/Break
- 15:00-18:00 - Roadmap Planning for Mar-Nov, 2013
- 19:00-20:00 - Breakout Sessions
- 20:30-21:30 - Dinner
Following are the attendees who'll represent their own communities:
|Bangladesh||Ashickur Rahman||ReMo / SuMo/ Localisation / Marketingfirstname.lastname@example.org||+880-1199-151550||557|
|Bangladesh||Mahay Alam Khan||Localisation / Marketing||mak [at] ankur.org.bd||+880-1943-131313||539|
|Bangladesh||Robin Mehdee||Development / Localisation||mythrobins [at] gmail||+880-1768-349584||557|
|India||Dwaraka Nath||PR/Media||dtsdwarak AT hotmail DOT com||+91-9003-297-595||550|
|India||Priyanka Nag||WoMoz||priynag [at] gmail||+91-738-508-0729||555|
|India||Soumya Deb||Development||debloper [at] gmail||+91-738-770-5588||451|
|India||Vineel Reddy Pindi||Marketing||pindivineelreddy [at] gmail||451|
|Nepal||Avinash Kundaliya||Development||avinash [at] avinash [dot] com [dot] np||+977-9813678886||N/A|
|Pakistan||Huda Sarfraz||Localisation||huda [dot] sarfraz [at] gmail||+92-3214513897||555|
|Sri Lanka||Danishka Navin||l10n, Marketing, Mentor||danishka[AT]gmail[dot]com||547|
|Sri Lanka||Sureshkumar P.||ReMo/SuMo/qa||sureshp8 [at] gmail [dot] com||(94)770358204||539|
|Sri Lanka||Kalpa Welivitigoda||Localisation||callkalpa[AT]gmail[dot]com||+9477609215||547|
|Japan||Gen Kanai||Contributor Engagement||gen at mozilla dot com||+81-90-9930-5844|
Hotel Yak & Yeti
GPO Box no. 1016
Durbar Marg, Kathmandu, Nepal
Tel: +977-1-4248999, 4240520
Fax: +977-1-4227781/ 4227782
Places related to our event:
- Tribhuvan International Airport: http://goo.gl/maps/Ozt8B
- Hotel Yak & Yeti: http://goo.gl/maps/ljPkq
- Local Development Training Academy (Venue for our public event): http://goo.gl/maps/HmuHf
Twin sharing hotel rooms booked at Hotel Yak and Yeti for 3 nights from 22-25 February (mid-day to mid-day).
There is complimentary Wi-Fi, morning breakfast, Airport pickup/drop included.
The check in starts at 1pm. If you should arrive sooner you can store your luggage in out luggage room. Reception is open 24/7. Check out is before 11am. Breakfast is included from 7.30 to 11 a.m.
Nepalese participants, travelling to Kathmandu by train, bus, or car are asked to purchase their own travel and request reimbursement after the meetup is over.
All guest participants of the contributor event are expected in Kathmandu by afternoon on Friday, 22 February and leave Kathmandu on Monday, 25th February by the noon (unless opted of extended stay on their own).
|Bangladesh||Ashickur Rahman||Feb 22||2:10PM||Flight 701||DAC-KTM|
|Bangladesh||Mahay Alam Khan||Feb 22||2:10PM||Flight 701||DAC-KTM|
|Bangladesh||Robin Mehdee||Feb 22||2:10PM||Flight 701||DAC-KTM|
|India||Dwaraka Nath||Feb 22||2:55PM||AI 0215||MAA-DEL-KTM|
|India||Gauthamraj Elango||Feb 22||2:55PM||AI 0215||MAA-DEL-KTM|
|India||Priyanka Nag||Feb 22||2:40PM||9W 0262||PNQ-DEL-KTM|
|India||Soumya Deb||Feb 21||2:40PM||9W 0262||PNQ-DEL-KTM|
|India||Vineel Reddy Pindi||Feb 22||2:55PM||AI 0215||HYD-DEL-KTM|
|Pakistan||Huda Sarfraz||Feb 22||4:40PM||QR 0350||LHE-DOH-KTM|
|Sri Lanka||Danishka Navin||Feb 22||11:30AM||MH 0170||SG-KUL-KTM|
|Sri Lanka||Sureshkumar P.||Feb 22||11:30AM||MH 0170||CMB-KUL-KTM|
|Sri Lanka||Kalpa Welivitigoda||Feb 22||11:30AM||MH 0170||CMB-KUL-KTM|
|Japan||Gen Kanai||Feb 22||10:10pm||9W 264||NRT-DEL-KTM|
|Bangladesh||Ashickur Rahman||Feb 27||3:10PM||Flight 702||KTM-DAC|
|Bangladesh||Mahay Alam Khan||Feb 27||3:10PM||Flight 702||KTM-DAC|
|Bangladesh||Robin Mehdee||Feb 27||3:10PM||Flight 702||KTM-DAC|
|India||Dwaraka Nath||Feb 25||10:00AM||AI 0214||KTM-DEL-MAA|
|India||Gauthamraj Elango||Feb 25||10:00AM||AI 0214||KTM-DEL-MAA|
|India||Priyanka Nag||Feb 25||8:40AM||9W 0263||KTM-DEL-PNQ|
|India||Soumya Deb||Feb 25||8:40AM||9W 0263||KTM-DEL-PNQ|
|India||Vineel Reddy Pindi||Feb 26||1:10PM||AI 0214||KTM-DEL-HYD|
|Pakistan||Huda Sarfraz||Feb 25||4:40PM||PK 0269||KTM-KHI-LHE|
|Sri Lanka||Danishka Navin||Feb 26||12:20PM||MH 0171||KTM-KUL-SG|
|Sri Lanka||Sureshkumar P.||Feb 25||12:20PM||MH 0171||KTM-KUL-CMB|
|Sri Lanka||Kalpa Welivitigoda||Feb 26||12:20PM||MH 0171||KTM-KUL-CMB|
|Japan||Gen Kanai||Feb 25||3:40PM||9W 261||KTM-DEL-NRT|
Soumya Deb [debloper at gmail dot com]
Gen Kanai [gen at mozilla dot com]
William Quiviger [wquiviger at mozilla dot com]
Avash Mulmi [avashmulmi at gmail dot com]
- [link Facebook event]
- Twitter/Flickr Hashtag: #mozillaSA13
- [link Mailing list]
- IRC channel #saarc
All participants will enjoy Nepalese, as well as continental foods throughout the event. The following meals will be organized and paid for by Mozilla:
- Friday (22 Feb): Dinner
- Saturday (23 Feb): Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.
- Sunday (24 Feb): Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.
- Monday (25 Feb): Breakfast
- 6-14 Degree Centigrade
- The winter season will just start to end at the end of February. It would be sunny and warm during day but at nights/mornings it still would be cold (~10-12 C @ Night).
- More information here.
- The Nepalese volunteers will try to manage all the travellings for the guests. The hotel will provide us with vehicles too.
- In case anyone needs to travel by their own, the hotel will have public taxis for rent which may not work on meter fare but will fix their rate for the travel.
- Its suggested not to take other means of public transport like buses & micro-vans.
Need to Know
- Kathmandu suffers from 12 Hours of Loadshedding daily. But no need to worry for our event as hotel will have generator backups.
- Food here may feel a bit spicy to some people but is manageable.
- In case anyone is away from the hotel and doesnt know how to return back, always ask some people how far the hotel is before renting a taxi so that you will have idea of whether it really is necessary to rent a taxi or not.
- This one is a personal suggestion: It would be better to have at least one person who speaks Hindi in the grooup while travelling separately because almost all people can understand Hindi here even if they do not understand English, so it can be easier to communicate.
Places of Interest:
- Narayanhiti Palace Museum (Just across our hotel): http://goo.gl/maps/8yANp
- Central Zoo (3-4 minutes walk from our Public Event Venue): http://goo.gl/maps/vjmVy
- Thamel Area (Tourist area, about 10 minutes walk from our Hotel): http://goo.gl/maps/8BJyZ
- Kathmandu Durbar Square (Historical place): http://goo.gl/maps/Qf7Td
- Lalitpur Durbar Square (Historical Place): http://goo.gl/maps/EFTZF
- Bhaktapur Durbar Square (Historical Place): http://goo.gl/maps/XUIfa
- Swayambhunath Stupa (Buddhist + Hindu Shrine): http://goo.gl/maps/L9f56
- Pashupatinath Temple (Temple of Lord Shiva): http://goo.gl/maps/yKhQ5
- Bhimshen Tower (Climb the tower to see whole view of KTM): http://goo.gl/maps/nXwSP
Mozilla will cover all accommodation, food and travel expenses during the contributor event. This includes hotel expenses from 23-24, breakfast, lunch and dinner. You're on your own for extended stay. Please notify the travel agent to have your flights booked accordingly with your preferred date.