Contribute/Education/Notes/2014-05 06 Community Building Curriculum
First Christie brought Jennie up to date:
- Reviewed community building skills brainstorm from MozCamp: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/mozcamp14-content
- Reviewed plans to have a brainstorm with larger Mozilla community using mozilla moderator
Next we talked about what's possible to do this year (2014)?
- Can we find a conflict training that most of CBT and HRBPs can attend?
- This is the instructor Jennie has trained with: http://www.movetoendviolence.org/community/profiles/maura-bairley
- Would like the people who have been trained in conflict resolution be from across the organization (including community members).
- Have a day of the Community Builders meetup and year end to have community building training.
- Have some kind of community building curriculum at late-Summer and Fall Mozcamps.
- In order to do this, we should start with existing curriculum (there is a lot out there) and adapt for Mozilla. Creating something from scratch requires more resources than we have available to us.
We looked at some existing resources:
- Seeds for change resources: http://seedsforchange.org.uk/resources#grp
- assumes that everyone is coming from a certain level or point of view
- has a very 'activist' feel, which is not necessarily a good fit for Mozilla
- but we could probably build bridging materials
- lots of other resources. let's generate a list and share for next meeting
Other things mentioned:
- we should brainstorm ways to recognize good community building skills.
- Check with other orgs: WMF, OpenHatch, etc.
- identify existing resources
- Identify what's missing or not appropriate for Mozilla
- Find ways to bridge that...
- Start presenting the material (hopefully at Mozcamps):
- jennie to try and setup meeting with person she took conflict resolution from
- christie to schedule further meetings (10am PT everyother TUES)
- all: generate list of resources and scan through them