Standing Agenda Items
Weekly Team Update from Jason
- End of quarter approaching -- Q2 goals need to be submitted within the first week of that quarter. Start thinking about your goals!
- Callahad's DevTools video was great, but way too long.
- Showed a real problem, and how to solve it with our tools. We want more of that.
- Worth watching Bobby Holly's talk from HackReactor on the browser wars / monoculture / etc.
- IoT work ongoing
- Started planning our Whistler activities.
- Worked getting PO in place for IOT contractor.
- Worked with Bobby Holley on Reactor school evangelism approach.
- Reviewed BrowserAPI post.
- Reviewed Monthly forecast with Finance.
- Met with Codementor to discuss future options.
- Opened Bug for Evangelist position.
- Started beta testing Firefox for iOS. Filed lots of bugs. Lots.
- Persona Gmail Bridge successfully deployed in production!
- Working with Rainer to put together a bunch of video bumpers for our screencasts / demos / etc.
- Filed bug 1143857 re: our implementation of .fetch() breaking image uploads on GitHub
- Fixed in an astonishing 35 hours thanks to awesome work by :nsm, :ehsan, and :tomcat
- Published hacks post on real-world DevTools usage
- 3,000 die-cut 2x2" DevEdition stickers on their way to me. Then they'll be on their way to you!
- (sole) YESSS I need many. All of them! no, not all. Some. Lots.
- Havi also ordered 2,000 of them. And we've got 1,000 3x3" from Portland heading her way.
- Dan will distribute to Jason, Sole, and Dietrich. Havi will distribute to Potch/Nick/etc.
- developer marketing meetup mon/tues
- nov event planning w/ events folks
- met w/ sandra to rap about a hacking meetup structure
- worked on a few blog posts coming up - 37, and power consumption
- lots of tech speaker activity - met w/ dia, and worked on integration of story prog into schedule
- rapping w/ dropbox evangelist - going to have PSU student group do some work there to support SUMO
- more playing w/ getting mdns/ssdp working in add-on scope w/ some gaia folks, for local network device discovery and enumeration
- got buy-in on my "make firefox os fast" patch https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/pull/28875
- Moz Tech Speakers pilot pilots introduced to each other; locking down start date for program pilot, participant introductions, etc.
- Hacks blog: upcoming posts this week & next:
- Understanding and inspecting inline DOM elements (PBrosset)
- Introducing the Tech Speakers Program (Havi)
- Firefox Apps & Hacks March newsletter shipped Mar 19:
- Content: DE Browser 38, MWC news, GDC news, Hacks highlights
- Numbers: CTR: 8.0% Open rate: 28.6%
- Where's Havi:
- Wed 25 Mar: MDN Hack weekend/meetup in Berlin
- Mon 30 Mar - Fri 3 Apr: PTO
- Working on Hacks post on WebRTC and SocketPeer.js
- Learned how the heck vanilla WebRTC works :)
- storyboarded a nice animation to explain the process
- Spoke with Dave Camp while he was in town
- tl;dr he's quite pleased with our work so far
- met with Daniel for future Firefox OS meetups / evangelism in London coordinated with TEF/other external interested parties
- added some ideas to hacks! after talking to Adam in the office
- working on the node-firefox content kit, I think is coming along nicely, lots of demos
- lotsa cool minidemos with node-firefox based scripts e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuv8lmir1xc
- met with Francisco to discuss/hear what the new Gaia architecture would look like, lending a hand on the library he's working on to implement offline capable apps in a whim with pluggable features. also joined the gaia meeting to hear what's up!
- jquery uk talk published! http://jqueryuk.com/2015/videos.php?s=the-cure-for-your-web-components-hangover also Zeno added it to webcomponents.org http://webcomponents.org/presentations/the-cure-for-your-web-components-hangover-at-jquery-uk/
- fosdem talk published! http://soledadpenades.com/2015/03/17/superturbocharging-firefox-os-app-development-with-node-firefox/ - I might need to re-do it because they just recorded *me* and not the slides at the same time
- gave a tour of MozLDN to a Firefox sympathiser, showered him with stickers and things to bring back to his office which has lots of Firefox fans \o/
- Also judged entries for JS1K
- phew! that was a busy week
I have next Friday off.
- Add Hacks ideas to https://wiki.mozilla.org/DevRel/Hacks
- Review the CFP calendar
Q & A
Dietrich: Just got back from a developer marketing offsite.
- Most people were aware of what the others were doing, so we're doing a decent job of cross-team communication.
- People liked the idea of picking a topic and just hammering on it for an entire quarter.
- Great idea, but what themes, and how do we implement them?
- (sole) we're pretty stretched already re: covering important stuff, not sure if it's "good" to focus everyone on the same topic?
- Great idea, but what themes, and how do we implement them?
Havi: Ongoing conversations about where we take Hacks (redesign, etc.)
- PTO last week of March/April, but would like a standalone meeting to discuss where Hacks goes in Q2.
- Havi to look at calendars and schedule something.
Dietrich: MDN developer event planning.
- PDX View Source conf at the Portland Art Museum (PAM)
- 400 person event
- Logistics? Potch: WiFi, Food, A/V, Power. Get those right, and it will all be OK.
- MDN will reach out to us as needed, but DevRel should keep an eye on developments and proactively help where we see opportunities.
Jason: Do we want to bring Speaker Evangelists with us to the Whistler work week?
- Dietrich: Looking into it.
- Jason: In the worst case, we can use our own budget.
Jason: We want to make sure we make good use of our work week. Planning forthcoming.
- Current ideas include practicing / critiquing presentations, hacking on rPi's, etc.
- sole: I can't hack / focus during work weeks. Too much going on. (+1 callahad)
- callahad: Food / drink restrictions? Gluten-free option + non-booze-centric would be good
Potch: Dave Camp doesn't bullshit. I asked him how we were doing. He's genuinely happy. Go us!
Havi: Going to Berlin for an MDN hack weekend. A few participants are also in our tech speakers program pilot.
- How do our teams (MDN + DevRel) work together? We overlap, but are not identical.
- Aiming for 5 participants paired 1:1 with MoCo folks.
- Also overlap with MDN Fellowship Program; ideally folks will only be in one of the programs.