Standing Agenda Items
Weekly Team Update from Jason
- Please fill in suggestions on the Mozlando etherpad from last week
- Especially want to figure out metrics and closing the loop on bugs we file
- Interested in touring Kennedy Space Center on Thursday? See your inbox.
Special Guest: Bill Walker
Speaking on "Progressive Apps" / "Web Application Developer Initiative" (WADI)
Central question: What can we do to make the Web right now much more attractive to mobile app developers?
- Talking to big framework players and "top 100" app makers
- Accelerating delivery of "Three Key APIs" across browsers:
- Service Worker, W3C Manifest, Web Push
- Talking w/Chrome dev rel and BD - finding that we're on the same page.
- Need to emphasize Mozillians dogfooding APIs as they land, file bugs
- Set keyword: DevAdvocacy, also block on WADI tracker bug (1201717)
- Service Workers as the opposite of appcache - an api for building apis -- needs examples.
Check out our project Wiki page: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Apps
see my amazing animated gif demo: please try using oghliner for your next project: https://github.com/mozilla/oghliner
Interesting push library: https://github.com/marco-c/web-push
please contribute ideas or code to platatus: https://github.com/mozilla/platatus
- Hacks blog update - Belén's first post on Tilemaps now available. Ahead: Push API (today), FxOS add-ons (tentative), Firebug 3 (tentative). Nov Week 1: Moment in time coordination.
- Attended Content Counsel meeting last week called by Jascha (CMO), to bring together content wranglers & creators. Some common themes around access to info, planning cycles, tools & workflows, info-sharing.
- Lots of Tech Speaker coordination for MozFest ahead
- VS prep
- Schedule: in PDX (Nov 2-3) in LDN (Nov 4 - 11) back in MV on Nov 12.
- Devtools Project!
- Deadline looms, heads down on that
- Helping sort speakers for Ignite talks at VS
- Other VS MC prep
- Finished 3D collision articles + demos for MDN. Chris reviewed them and we did some final edits.
- Worked a bit on a multiplayer demo
- My first post on the Hacks blog is published! \o/ https://hacks.mozilla.org/2015/10/html-5-games-tilemaps/
- This week I'll be working with Sole to make a MediaRecorder demo
- mozfest and porting event travel stuff
- set up some project structure for gio’s rpi2 work
- content editing for Firefox OS Africa group
- proposed PSU fall capstone project of content-adaptive web: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1KSkQibWkU0eDns1dXcx16Z5IYDMcAqMgREISxWlXlJM/edit?usp=sharing
- sign and return deep speech project (OSU)
- update porting event w/ sony devices and remind to build nexus device first
- update porting event to be any KK device, and reminder to bring/use your own device
- final techspeakers v2 session!
- vr@mozfest planning w/ JC and michelle
- mozfest - stickers and gear, etc
- pathway info - send to jared and rina
- deep speech - send devices to students, get all the links and set up meeting
- flames for phoxygen
- met with brian chirls about vr at mozfest
- porting project data collection and activities, communication channels
- fall campaign ad push review of b2gdroid, dev pathway for fxos contribution
- mozlando planning to make sure all porting and iot and fxos device people are in the same area
- Reviewed Belén's Hacks Post on Tiling and Sprite Atlases (great examples/demos)
- Reviewed Sajjad's Hacks Post on SIMD
- Reviewed UP team's k-randomization paper
- Reviewed UP team's k-randomization vs homomorphic encryption and disaggregate mixes paper
- Recorded a video on how to use ffmpeg for transcoding (video in escrow)
- Got some form of live streaming with MSE working, barely
- Spoke with Tech Speakers v2
- Bug 1164310 - Implement MS's proposal for a reduced subset of the new FileSystem API
- Bug 1175492 - unpref transform-origin percentage handling for SVG elements
- Bug 366559 - Brotli Accept-Encoding/Content-Encoding
- Saw Ghost in concert: https://youtu.be/95rpJsZ6C_s?t=36s (trigger warning: Satanism, keytar solo)
- Wrapped up plan for DevRel + NMIT
- Reviewed video and blog post scripts
- All that remains is gathering screenshots and copying into Hacks
- Tracked down malicious add-on from Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/3pwcey/firefox_extension_download_manager_s3_asks_for/
- Temporarily pulled from AMO; editors following up with author.
- Author doesn't really understand how he did anything wrong.
- Spoke on ES6 Promises / ES7 async + await at Twin Cities Code Camp
- ~150 people in the room. Well received. Could improve the storytelling / hook.
- Slides at https://callahad.github.io/tccc19-async/
- No recording, but planning on blogging the same content
- Screenshots / Gifs for NMIT hacks post
- Got into the Lets Encrypt beta; setting up a server for that
- Rebuilding my blog, for real this time, damnit
- Working down unreasonable email backlog
- (at conference)
- traveled to Munich and presented at Push Conference, audience of 500. Minds blown.
• met several Mozillians from the Firefox UX teams, chatted a bunch about FF Dev Edition as a product among other things • tons o travel details, emails, planning • wrote a 40 minute version of Modern Layouts. (I had 60, 80, and 20. Now there's a 40.) Made still-image slide deck & published. • did an interview with HOW Magazine: http://www.howdesign.com/web-design-resources-technology/jen-simmons-web-design-rut/ • published episode 107 of The Web Ahead — with Brett Gaylor, all about privacy and tracking and doom & gloom — CHECK IT OUT! • recorded ep 108 and ep 109 of The Web Ahead — Do Our Projects Make People Happy? and Hey People Design Your PRODUCT First • wrote a blurb for Karen McGrane's new book, to be published for A Book Apart
- Reviewing content for Fall Campaign
- Working on Orange Evangelism plan
- 2016 Planning
- Q3 wrap up of team objectives
- Add Hacks ideas to https://wiki.mozilla.org/DevRel/Hacks
- Review the CFP calendar
(Try to keep things timeboxed and concrete. E.g., can we actually make a yes/no decision in this meeting? If not, discuss on list first.)
Q & A
Potch in Portland Nov 1-4, London 5-10, PTO