Standing Agenda Items
Weekly Team Update from Jason
- No team meeting next week
- Most of the team in Brooklyn next week to work on DevRel website
- Initial triage of Dashboard list will happen in NY
Anything blocking you? Anything interesting to report?
- After compiling SpiderMonkey for the n-th version, it seems (according to Alon) that the only way for me to compile & execute WebAssembly code is to compile my own version on Firefox. (Yay! #LOLNO). Will do this week.
- Ludum Dare was this weekend. I'm in the search for some cool HTML 5 games that have been done in this edition.
- Of course I also participated ;) And you should play my game! http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-35/?action=preview&uid=547 (and I wrote up a post-mortem as well http://belenalbeza.com/ludum-dare-35-post-mortem/ )
- [Flaki] Our project, Happy Code Friends is up & away, and all these people are learning how to web, and are adorably beautifully skilled already! 😻
- [Jen] Presented two talks at four conferences: An Event Apart Seattle, Respond Sydney, Respond Melbourne, Respond Mega Meetup. Held in-person meetings at Adobe and Microsoft. Learned a lot of details about certain CSS specs, where they came from, who’s holding them up. Interesting info on Google’s priorities and Houdini.
- Everywhere I went, people talking are about React, blowing off a11y, and finding CSS "too hard" because they don’t understand basic sectors and the cascade. I keep running into a repeated desire to nuke CSS (by men under 30). There’s a desperate need to advocate for the web, for the full stack, including semantic HTML, proper CSS, progressive enhancement, accessibility, and more. I fear for the future, given so many people being so willing to not bother with this, and to replace it all with React or the latest JS library.
- While on the road, I wrote a lot of code.
- Launched jensimmons.com. Relaunched labs.jensimmons.com, new landing page, more demos. Launched layout.land — the beginning of a big project
- Tab and Fantasai posted a proposal for a simpler version of Subgrids to www-style. Discussion underway. Hopefully that will lead to consensus around Subgrid, and implementation by Matts and Igalia. https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2016Apr/0254.html
- [Havi] New hire "DevRel technical program manager to be introduced this week.
- [callahad] Tried a HoloLens. OMFG THE HYPE IS REAL.
Plan for This Week
What will you do this week?
- [callahad]: 100% focus on preparing an ES6 workshop for next week.
- Also met with a local code school re: speaking to their students.
- They teach Chrome tools, mainly because they license content from Code School, and that teaches Chrome's tool.
- [sole]: go to Valencia and explain to students how did I end up in Mozilla, why the web matters, and maybe of course convince them to contribute/apply to Mozilla too! Then I'll disappear and you won't see me in a while because I'm sooooo tired
- [belen]: Compile my own Firefox so my wasm can run :_) Create a mini-game with SDL so I can write up a blog post detailing the full chain of compilers / tools / etc.
- [havi]: Find an article or two to publish on Hacks, hopefully. Get the Boondogl post out. Confirm DevRel/TS program manager hire and begin the orientation process. Further planning on TS Phase 2 and
- [potch]: Working on a CSS Grid Visualization tool with Jen
- [jen} This week:
I have an interview with DotYork (film shoot here in NYC) Writing a piece for Net Magazine Need to catch up on Quarterly reporting, expense reports Gotta clean up the CSS for jensimmons.com and relaunch / fix bugs Prep for next week’s Design Sprint in NYC Hosting CSS Layout Club Attending my first CSS Working Group meeting (phone call) Phone interview with Steve Fisher of DDC16 Need to get The Web Ahead ep 115 to the editor
- Top Frameworks and connecting with Platform
Summary of Last Week
What did you accomplish last week?
- Worked with Platform for WADI projects (Service Worker Cookbook and WP Plugins) cutover
- Working with platform on Frameworks and feedback
- Quarter Budget Review
- TS Manager position - position offer in progress
- VR Evangelist position - position offer in progress
- Accepted at JSConf Iceland (PWA) and Open West (PWA, Wasm, ES6)
- Hacked together a terrible script to summarize my quarterly GitHub / Bugzilla / etc. activity.
- Rewriting to be more efficient and modular will share soon.
- Spoke at Twin Cities Code Camp on WebAssembly. Slides at resources at https://callahad.github.io/tccc20-wasm
- Holy crap, building the toolchain is gross. You need to locally build the head of Spidermonkey, emscripten, emscripten-fastcomp, llvm, and binaryen.
- Excellent reception; room was packed:
- Filed a few bugs re: our support for WebSpeech APIs from talking with other speakers.
- Weekly team activity summary: https://wiki.mozilla.org/WeeklyUpdates/2016-04-11#Developer_Relations
- Reviewed projects submitted to CD participation innovation process
- interviewed yet more code schools
- Q1 activity & accomplishments summary
- made code school resources reference
- lined up speakers for Toronto code schools
- designed and gave a talk about open participation to the branding/marketing teams
- learned gifloopcoder, an electron tool for building gif art: https://twitter.com/dietrich/status/721127939610259456
- Hacks posts: lots of cycles on Boondogl (VR game demo) published guest post: How to implement SRI in your build process, having a hard time getting a cadence of content
- Lots of cycles on interviewing and hiring for TS program manager
- Coordination and followup w/Pilot 3 tech speakers who are finishing up their 1:1 coaching and looking for activities / conferences to submit to...
- Q! activity recaps for me and Tech Speakers
- At WordCamp London: a talk on Let’s Encrypt + WordPress. Basically a talk version of https://soledadpenades.com/2016/04/08/securing-your-self-hosted-website-with-lets-encrypt/
- Travelled 5409 miles (and back) to Montevideo for JSConf.UY - Talk on MediaRecorder. Slides https://soledadpenades.com/files/t/2016_rtalchemy/ (requires desktop Nightly). Good reception, people are excited to play with MediaRecorder and also integrate it with existing Web APIs such as Web Audio or WebMIDI. Excitement! Also so tiring... Zzzz
Jen — Accomplish in the last month Presented two talks at four conferences: An Event Apart Seattle Respond Sydney Respond Melbourne Respond Mega Meetup Both presentations were recorded, once each. Also did an interview with John Allsopp on film, talking about the future of CSS and layout. Held in person meetings at Adobe and Microsoft. Learned a lot of details about certain CSS specs, where they came from, who’s holding them up. Interesting view on Google’s priorities and Houdini.
While on the road, I wrote a lot of code. Launched jensimmons.com Relaunched labs.jensimmons.com, new landing page, more demos Launched layout.land — the beginning of a big project
Tab and Fantasai posted a proposal for a simpler version of Subgrids to www-style. Discussion underway. Hopefully that will lead to consensus around Subgrid, and implementation by Matts and Igalia.
- Spoke at WordCamp London. Slides http://belen-albeza.github.io/talk-frameworks/ Plenty of people attended my session!
- Cried because of Wasm pain (much complication, many sufferings, wow)
- Just booked my flight for the all hands this morning
- Before Ludum Dare I tweeted out the slide of my talk "Surviving game jams" which got RT'd from the official account. Got lots of good feedback and thankful comments :)
- Finishing teaching finally for a while tomorrow.
- Ramping up on the TechSpeakers V2 pilot
- Missing this weekend's HappyCodeFriends, but coordinating while away
- Presenting at Startup Safary on Thursday
- Flying to JSUnconf in Hamburg on Friday
- Going over to Berlin on Monday to arrange some Rust Camp Europe & Rust Fundation EU details with friends :)
- JSConf Budapest Hackerlounge -- soooo clooose!
- Finishing documentation for new contract
- Add Hacks ideas to https://wiki.mozilla.org/DevRel/Hacks
- Review the CFP calendar
(Try to keep things timeboxed and concrete. E.g., can we actually make a yes/no decision in this meeting? If not, discuss on list first.)
- Can we sync whenever we send a proposal for a conf? So we don't submit the same thing to the same conf (or maybe it doesn't make sense for 2 of us to go to the same place)
- We could just add a note to the event in our CFP calendar :)
- Resolution: Yes, multiple Mozillians at one event is fine, but we should coordinate to avoid proposing duplicate topics
Q & A
- How we should prepare our week in NY? (any ideas, etc. to think beforehand? )
- Answer: No prep; Jen wants people to come in without preconceived notions.