Zitrain Censoring Caching Plug-in
Develop a plug-in that helps create backup/cached copies of websites that are frequently censored. Using data from Heredict (a web site that tracks blocked and/or censored websites) this Firefox plug-in would scan a user’s cache and anonymously upload any cached versions of websites that have subsequently been blocked to servers that would grant alternative access to the content.
- Fight censorship/ensure open access to all content, on the web.
- Create a distributed “auto-immune system” that automatically fights censorship
- Design a system that both exposes censorship and tangibly addresses it.
- Educate the public about censorship on the web.
Foster an open source community that designs and builds the plug-in.
- Scope out challenge: interview Zittrain and have him articulate the projects objectives and parameters in greater detail.
- Assess what, if any resources Mozilla wishes to directly allocate to this challenge
- Refine “the challenge” based on input from Zitrain (and others?) for the drumbeat website
- Initiate a process that engages community members to scope out concepts and specifications for the software
- Initiate a process that engages community members to prototype the design concepts laid out in round one.
- Launch brainstorming challenge that asks community members to design a marketing campaign for the product.