May 31, 2010 Meeting Agenda
* Weekly dial-in meeting, Monday, 8 a.m. PST * Canada +1 416 848 3114 Ext. 92 Conference number 7601 * US or Intl. +1 650 903 0800 Ext. 92 Conference number 7601 * US Toll-Free +1 800 707 2533 Conference number 7601 * Mozilla Drumbeat -> #drumbeat | IRC channel
When you call in, you'll be muted by default, to keep phone noise down. Use "*1" (including the star) to unmute yourself if you want to say something.
- Call for agenda items
- Drumbeat Projects - Getting to Whistler
- Web Made Movies - Getting a plan and making pilot
- Projects in Europe - Early thinking from Henrik
- Helping P2PU + Universal Subtitles develop demos and plan
- Who do we need to get to these calls for next 4 weeks?
- Events strategy
- Brasil events
- N America events (update?)
- Event kit?
- Helping projects make good use of our events
- Beta Launch plan
- Web site (Matt & Paul O.)
- Web site copy & content (Mark / Dharmishta)
- "About Projects" page, project initiator checklist, etc.
- Promotion & outreach
Use Whistler Summit as forcing function to sing on web site
- Great pages on web site
- Plan and budget for rest of year. Public roadmap on web site.
- Focus for June: editing footage created since April
- Create first beta episode
- Grassroots mapping projects: connected through crisis camp at Drumbeat Toronto
- Mapping oil spill and collaborating to make DIY citizen group maps
- Google using it. Real-world application of open web.
Shift in thinking / focus for WMM:
- More effort on the software side of WMM and HTML5 video and how that can impact storytelling
- Showcase the potential of open video
- Working with students at Sennca college: software sprint over June
- Do demos
- Idescale brainstorming site
Grant writing and funding applications
Canada Media Fund
Trying to situate WMM within that innovation
Bottom line for Whister:
- First episode: about 7 minutes long. Bunch of open video hacks run against this content.
- Much clearer public roadmap for rest of year
Areas for help:
- How to help roadmap. Common format for all projects?
- Writing it from scratch is difficult
- Matt & Mark to help w. roadmap
- Need someone to work w. Brett as designer to create micro-site for WMM open video demos
Henrik: European Projects
- 1) Guardian new open news platform
- 2) Also working on arts: Artzilla, free art & technology (FAT) -- intern joining for next month
- Two Drumbeat-y potential projects to submit to site
- Combining groups working on social networking / Facebook alternatives
- 3) Bring these groups together and have them hack together
- Brett: Link TV working on API stuff w. news organizations
- NYT published their API (Links data model)
- Link TV developed news platform (matches their videos against newspaper content)
- Public service journalism and open web having same values
- Areas for help:
- Looking for interesting arts and open web projects
- Ways to add value to existing open social networking projects
- June 12 event: coming along well. Need to confirm facillitators.
- Workshop WebMadeMovies: film-makers getting together and hacking together. To collaboratively produce video together one afternoon.
- Event Kit: Draft of it ready for next week's call
- European events: seeing interest in small 1 or 2 hour
- Following up with Berlin facillitator training attendants
- Working on support for taking Drumbeat to another event
- San Diego, San Fran, Eli, North Carolina, Philadephia, Columbus, Chicago
- New York: July 24. John Britton and Ben Moskowitz.