Be a Local Drumbeat Leader – Learn How At Facilitator Trainings
Will the web still be open in 100 years? Mozilla thinks it can -- and must -- be. That's why we're starting Mozilla Drumbeat, an invitation to teachers, artists, lawyers, filmmakers and other everyday internet users do things that will make the web better, and keep it open for the long haul. We want you to get involved.
Online, that means catalyzing new open web projects that address critical needs and make the Web healthier.
Offline and on, we need to build a new community that includes open web geeks, but also teachers, artists and designers, bloggers, lawyers and even enlightened people in government. We can only do that from the local level up, through face-to-face interactions.
Drumbeat needs local event organizers.
We are calling for community leaders to organizer local events, people with a strong commitment to Mozilla’s vision of the open Web to take a lead in reaching out to diverse communities in their own cities and towns. If that sounds like you, get ready to pull together a local Drumbeat event!
Local Drumbeat events are:
- Active and participatory: we’re going to be making and building the open web. Less talk, more action!
- Inviting to people who love the Web, but may not be geeks. As part of Drumbeat, people can make more than software. Videos, universal subtitling, design projects, training courses, books, and more! -
- Opportunities to weave together local networks of creative, Web-loving people and share their exciting local work with the global community.
The Mozilla events team will be supporting local event leaders through a well designed kit of materials and action templates, as well as training opportunities and one-on-one support.
Over the next month, we are hosting a special program for the first wave of Drumbeat event organizers in Europe and North America. We are offering a two-day experience plus travel scholarships. On the first day, we are planning facilitator training and support in designing events that are relevant to local communities. On day two, you’ll put these skills to work immediately at a local Drumbeat event.
- Dates and Location:
- Toronto: April 23-24
- Berlin: May 7-8
If you are interested in participating in the facilitator training, please send an e-mail to njames at mozillafoundation dot org with the following information:
- Who are you? Why do you want to organize a Drumbeat event?
- What kind of people will you invite? How many do you hope will come?
- Where and when do you want to organize the event? Do you have a location you can use (school, community center, etc.)?
We are reviewing proposals on an ongoing basis. Contact us ASAP if you are interested.
See also: older version of this page with additional detail.