This position is already filled.
Mozilla Drumbeat - Open Web Project Producer
Location: One position in Paris, France and another Mountain View, CA
Mozilla is seeking two talented idea shapers to lead projects that help people around the world to understand, participate and take control of their online lives.
As a part of Mozilla's new Drumbeat initiative, this position is part idea hunter, part producer and part collaboration coach -- finding, shaping and leading projects that use technology to make the web better and more open.
The right candidate brings a rare mix of skills: the ability to spot a good open web idea and to turn it into a magnetic, high impact project that people want to participate in. This is a job for someone who can see the big picture *and* figure out all the details.
Mozilla is a global community of people creating a better, more open Internet.
Mozilla produces well known open source software like Firefox and Thunderbird. It is also launching a new global initiative called Drumbeat to support people using technology to bring understanding, participation and individual empowerment to online life. While global in scope, Drumbeat will focus heavily on Europe, Brasil, India and the Middle East, especially in year one.
Mozilla is like no other work environment -- global, collaborative, fluid. It's a place to challenge yourself, and have fun in the process.
Every day you will:
- Hunt down good open web ideas
- Seek out people and projects creating a better, more open internet.
- Identify a handful of ideas that *you* can shape and turn into real projects.
- Bring potential community leaders into Drumbeat so they can lead their own projects.
- Lead a small handful of Drumbeat open web projects
- Design and lead 1 - 3 Drumbeat projects that have significant Mozilla involvement .
- Build large scale participation into the core of these projects. Get people involved.
- Drive impact and momentum. Solve problems. You are the bottom line for these projects.
- Coach Drumbeat community leaders as they emerge
- Support emerging community leaders. Help them create their own Drumbeat projects.
- In particular: help them articulate a) how people can participate and b) how they will make the web better .
- Where appropriate, help them define fundraising asks for the Drumbeat web site.
What does success look like?
By the end of year one, your projects are thriving. They have helped make the overall Drumbeat concept crystal clear. People around the world are excited and participating.
What kind of projects will you work on?
Projects that help people understand, participate and take control of their online lives will form the core of Drumbeat. For examples, see this list of possible year one projects.
You are someone who:
- Lives and breathes the open internet. It's your passion.
- Knows a good open web idea when they see it. Can sense whether it feels 'mozllian'.
- Can turn ideas into actionable, magnetic projects. And then drive these projects to success.
- Proven ability to get people participating in online communities and projects.
- Tough minded critical thinker. We'll only be able to pick a few projects to focus on.
- Strong networks in the open internet space, especially *outside* North America.
- Exceptional writer and online communicator, with existing blogs etc. that prove it.
- Extensive experience in a related role. Minimum 5 years.
- Excellent english skills plus at least one other language.
- Experience running global conferences or events an asset.
- Grant making and fundraising experience also an asset.
What are you doing right now?
You might working as a film or web producer, leading projects for a creative, global non-profit or as a product manager in a community-driven tech company. You could be anywhere, really. The main thing is: you've learned how to turn good ideas into killer projects, how to bottom line these projects and how to drive community participation. Now you are ready to take that learning to another level.
Team and Location
The Drumbeat Open Web Project Producer(s) will work closely with the Mozilla Foundation executive director and others in the Drumbeat team.
We are hiring for one person in Paris, France and another in Mountain View California. We may consider Toronto as an alternate North American location for an exceptional candidate.
Highly competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Deadline and hiring process
If you're interested, please short email, resume and links to your work (hints on style) to mark - at - mozillafoundation - dot - org.
This is an open ended hiring process -- we'll keep looking until we find the right people. However, we will start interviewing by the third week in January. So, get in touch ASAP if you are serious and interested.