Drumbeat/webmademovies/one-pager with roadmap
Mozilla’s open video lab for filmmakers
WebMadeMovies is Mozilla's open video lab and production studio. We're bringing together the world's most innovative filmmakers and web developers to show what open video and HTML5 can do. Producing cutting-edge examples and reference implementations that showcase new ways of telling stories online. And collaborating on new web tools for filmmakers and developers everywhere. Our goal: a new kind of cinema that works like the web.
Video doesn't yet behave like the rest of the web
Video today is on the web, but not of the web -- difficult to search, link, quote or contextualize. We "embed" videos in pages, usually with closed players sealed off from the rest of the web. It's just TV in a web page. More critically: filmmakers lack the techniques to tell interactive stories that break out of this box. They rarely work closely with developers, and don’t have examples of how to pull the web into their stories.
Hackers and filmmakers can fix this by working together
Making compelling films that show what open video can do
We'll start with demos and reference implementations. Mozilla will build open video reference implementations around compelling short films about the open internet, with custom interfaces that enhance the story by pulling in content from across the web. Next we'll collaborate with other filmmakers and feature productions, delivering the interactive open video wrapper around their work. And creating web video tools and award-winning productions
Our ultimate goal: a new cinema that works like the web
HTML5 and open video have created an exciting opportunity: cinema and journalism that can pull people and data from across the web into the story. Creating new ways to inform, educate and entertain online.
End of 2011 - 18 months
High-profile productions that showcase open video as the new standard in interactive.
- 5+ high-profile productions that demonstrate open video's potential.
- Open video tools like pocorn.js exist in the wild. Other developers building on our work.
- Buzz. WebMadeMovies productions at festivals and interactive events like Sundance, TIFF, IDFA and SXSW.
- People referencing open video instead of Flash when pointing to best of breed interactive productions.
End of 2010 - 6 months
Reference implementations that demonstrate what's possible.
- 6+ compelling open video demos and reference implementations. Filmmakers want to work with us. Bringing their productions and funding to the lab.
- "Mozilla Movies" episodes released and providing compelling content for demos.
- Filmmaker community also contributing content around "open web heroes" and themes.
- Popcorn.js 0.9 released.
Sep 2010 - 3 months
Early demos and active development.
- 3 demos and episodes complete.
- Active developer community in place. Building up a deeper pool of developer talent.
- Building popcorn.js. Software sprints completed in Toronto, Brazil, Lebanon and New York.
- Course devoted to WebMadeMovies underway at Seneca College.
- Recruiting filmmakers.