e10s Weekly Update: Dec 18
Why yellow? e10s is designated 'yellow' or 'at risk' because:
- We are getting closer with our Plan of Record, but we're not quite there, yet.
- Although the team is working at a high velocity, we are not at zero M8's and we need to be by the first 2 weeks of Aurora which is Dec 28th. We don't want to take uplifts after that. There are enough M8's in flight to put this goal at risk. [See M8 Tracker.
Decision Re-Made: We have decided that we will NOT lock APZ and e10s. Product has deemed that scrolling performance for APZ isn't really affected by e10s: bug 1230621
Here are the documents being worked on for the POR:
In the parallel, Engineering team continues to work at high velocity and are in the midst of their final, functional milestone, M8. Validating that all of this work translates into a product we are proud of is key to our success before we do a go to market launch.
Currently Proposed Schedule is to enable e10s by default for Users without Add-Ons and target a larger population for 46.0
Validation for Stability and Performance
- Birunthan :poiru is going to post a summary of e10s vs non-e10s telemetry from the Aurora 43 experiment on the m.d.platform newsgroup this week. Draft here: https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/document/d/1bRWybYcuTefO9qUPkul_r6rN-rl3QOAG_GpeJiYWhzs/edit?usp=sharing
- Beta 44 A/B Telemetry Experiment is live: https://bsmedberg.github.io/telemetry-experiments-dashboard/
- The experiment couldn't begin until last weekend because the first Beta 44 build was delayed
- This experiment is going to be run until January 11th (tentative end date)
- Dec 12th e10s Telemetry probe triage: spreadsheet
- bug 1182637: the BHR/event-loop-lag responsiveness regression in e10s has been confirmed first-hand with an extension that visualizes the BHR jank measurements: https://github.com/chutten/statuser
- BHR reporting still needs to be improved to narrow down the origins: bug 1224374
- There also appears to be a stability regression https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1229104#c19
- There is also a known regression in e10s page-load speed in Talos & Telemetry data
- Telemetry E10S Measurement Meta bug 1222849
- Performance Tracker Meta bug 1198187
Add-Ons + WebExtensions
- Add-Ons 'Office Hours' to help developers with real-time support is ongoing: http://atsay.github.io/e10s_office_hours/
- We need to make progress on creating a black list for incompatible add-ons bug 1233455. Next steps include working with add-ons team to identify a DRI + connecting them telemetry data to get started.
- Source truth for add-ons for priority and status on compatibility can be found, here.
- We will NOT block on slow add-on watcher for any GA plans.
- 'We will NOT block on WebExtensions for any GA plans
- We DO need to figure out what the product requirements are, if any for UX relating to Add-ons in an e10s world in general. This also coincides with the Shield project. UX, and Perf are engaged and we're starting conversations about user interaction and API readiness.
- We're primarily missing 3 suites on Windows: mochitest-plain, reftest, and crashtest. Work needs to be done to green up each of these suites, so capacity issues are not currently the blocker.
- A-Team is currently working on disabling enough tests on mochitest-plain to get them enabled, but there is a shutdown leak on debug which is difficult to trace to a particular test. We may get those running by the end of the year, leaving only crashtests and reftests.
- Felipe is jumping in to help Blake, jgriffin, and Jim green up tests:
- Wiki to track work is, here.
- Decision made to not block going to GA on A11y. We are ramping up to help be sure we do everything we can to get a good level of parity.
- We are planning on getting e10s team + Firefox functional teams together in Orlando to continue the envangelize pruning and greening up of tests on part of module owners.
Currently Proposed Schedule is to enable e10s by default for Users without Add-Ons for 45.0 and target a larger population for 46.0. As mentioned above, we'll do a go/no-go on the 28th of Dec.
|3-30||40 default (working on m5)||39 off||38 off||37 off|
|5-11||41 default (working on m6)||40 prompt||39 off||38 off|
|6-29||42 default (working on m7/m8)||41 prompt||40 off||39 off|
|8-10||43 default (working on m8)||42 default||41 off||40 off|
|9-21||44 default (release criteria driven)||43 default||42 TBD||41 off|
|11-02||45 default (release criteria driven)||44 default||43 A/B||42 off|
|12-14||46 default (release criteria driven)||45 default||44 TBD||43 off|
|1-25||47 default (release criteria driven)||46 default||45 TBD||44 off|
|3-07||48 default (release criteria driven)||47 default||46 TBD||45 (tbd)|
Currently working on interim Milestones to track Telemetry Experiments
|[DONE]||Nov 9||Aurora 43.0 Telemetry Experiment Results||Performance Team|
|[AT RISK]||Nov 17||Beta 43.0 Telemetry Experiment Launches||Performance Team|
|[AT RISK]||Nov 30||GTB Beta 7 Telemetry Experiment Final Uplifts/Testing||Performance Team/RelMan|
|[ON TRACK]||Dec 4||Final Plan of Record Approved||Product/Engineering|
|[ON TRACK]||Dec 14||Merge Day - 44.0 B1 GTB||RelMan|
|[DONE]||Dec 15||43.0 GA - e10s Disabled||RelMan|
|[DONE]||Dec 20||44.0 Beta 1 - e10s A/B Testing enabled||Performance Team/RelMan|
|[ON TRACK]||Dec 28||Firefox 45 Go/No-Go||Decision Makers|
|[ON TRACK]||Jan 11||44.0 Beta - e10s A/B Testing disabled||Performance/RelMan|