e10s Weekly Update: Dec 4
Why yellow? e10s is designated 'yellow' or 'at risk' because although we are getting closer with finalizing the Beta and GA Criteria and rolling it into an official Plan of Record, we are not quite ready to declar. We are basically in day-to-slip from the original goal of Dec 4th to have this finalized. We welcome a new Product Owner, DevTools Veteran, Jeff Griffiths.
Decision Made: We have decided that we will lock APZ and e10s. Meaning that if APZ doesn't ship, we will hold on e10s until it is ready. APZ is Medium to low risk and is behind a preference so we can disable it if needed. APZ is currently enabled by default in Aurora 45, will ride the trains to Beta 45 and we will make a final Go/No-Go decision mid to late beta. Additionally, we are not blocking on Service Workers but are tracking issues we'd like to have fixed before 45 Beta, here: bug 1230621
Here are the documents being worked on for the POR:
- Almost Final Release Criteria
- Product Brief Draft
- Scroll below for Schedule
In the parallel, Engineering team continues to work at high velocity and are in the midst of their final, functional milestone, M8. Validating that all of this work translates into a product we are proud of is key to our success before we do a go to market launch.
Currently Proposed Schedule is to enable e10s by default for Users without Add-Ons and target a larger population for 46.0
- Validation for Stability and Performance:
- Aurora 43.0 A/B Telemetry Experiment results are posted, here. bug 1193089 Conclusions and action items based on findings are being triaged/discussed in a bi-weekly perf/e10s meeting. Perf plan is here, http://bit.ly/1XtGR4h. List of probes are here: http://bit.ly/1NeBIvM
- Beta 43.0 A/B Telemetry Experiment was scheduled for 11/20. Plan for 7.5% of the population to have e10s enabled. We have decided to roll this out for 44.0 Beta 1 on Dec 16th instead of 43.0 Beta 7. Why? Because we don't have 100% parity for stability Meta bug = bug 1222894.
- e10s performance measurement updates
- Nov 26th triage: spreadsheet
- Top priority is confirming the apparent e10s responsiveness deficit bug 1182637 & bug 1223780
- bug 1224374: we need to expand BHR stack coverage to narrow down source of the difference in responsiveness
- bug 1228437: e10s child processes aren't reporting BHR, this means the measured responsiveness gap is worse than currently thought
- added probes for e10s memory usage bug 1198209, fixed probe for UI event lag bug 1198196, fixed AsyncShutdown dash bug 1222884 & separated e10s vs non-e10s signatures bug 1222885
- adding probes for scrolling smoothness bug 1228147 & session-restore time bug 1214158
- reviewing existing probes to confirm they are meaningful for e10s comparison: page load probes bug 1228020, content process crash probes bug 1227312, active usage hours bug 1187069,
- Performance Tracker Meta bug 1198187
- Dashboard to depict areas of strength and where we need to improve is in progress: bug 1210649. Next steps include identifying milestones for when this will be usable.
- Add-Ons + WebExtensions:
- Product has requested Add-ons team aggressively outreach to devs, next steps include working with them to create some milestones around this.
- Source truth for add-ons for priority and status on compatibility can be found, here.
- We will NOT block on slow add-on watcher for any GA plans.
- 'We will NOT block on WebExtensions for any GA plans
- We DO need to figure out what the product requirements are, if any for UX relating to Add-ons in an e10s world in general. This also coincides with the Shield project. UX, and Perf are engaged and we're starting conversations about user interaction and API readiness.
- Wiki to track work is, here.
- Decision made to not block going to GA on A11y. We are ramping up to help be sure we do everything we can to get a good level of parity.
- We are planning on getting e10s team + Firefox functional teams together in Orlando to continue the envangelize pruning and greening up of tests on part of module owners.
- Automated tests:
- We should be good to have our tests for windows enabled by Fx45/Fx46. mochitest-devtools on Windows 7 is about to be enabled bug 1221499. Server capacity is an issue we need to balance.
- All Linux tests are enabled (that are of priority).
Currently Proposed Schedule is to enable e10s by default for Users without Add-Ons for 45.0 and target a larger population for 46.0
|3-30||40 default (working on m5)||39 off||38 off||37 off|
|5-11||41 default (working on m6)||40 prompt||39 off||38 off|
|6-29||42 default (working on m7/m8)||41 prompt||40 off||39 off|
|8-10||43 default (working on m8)||42 default||41 off||40 off|
|9-21||44 default (release criteria driven)||43 default||42 TBD||41 off|
|11-02||45 default (release criteria driven)||44 default||43 A/B||42 off|
|12-14||46 default (release criteria driven)||45 default||44 TBD||43 off|
|1-25||47 default (release criteria driven)||46 default||45 TBD||44 off|
|3-07||48 default (release criteria driven)||47 default||46 TBD||45 (tbd)|
Currently working on interim Milestones to track Telemetry Experiments
|[DONE]||Nov 9||Aurora 43.0 Telemetry Experiment Results||Performance Team|
|[AT RISK]||Nov 17||Beta 43.0 Telemetry Experiment Launches||Performance Team|
|[AT RISK]||Nov 30||GTB Beta 7 Telemetry Experiment Final Uplifts/Testing||Performance Team/RelMan|
|[ON TRACK]||Dec 4||Final Plan of Record Approved||Product/Engineering|
|[ON TRACK]||Dec 14||Merge Day - 44.0 B1 GTB||RelMan|
|[ON TRACK]||Dec 15||43.0 GA - e10s Disabled||RelMan|
|TBD||Dec 16||44.0 Beta 1 - e10s experiment enabled(?)||Performance Team/RelMan|