- 1 E10s Update: October 12
E10s Update: October 12
- Across all release channel activity that we recorded for October 3, 30.15% of the release population has e10s.
- Why not 40-41%?
- An extra 5% are being disabled because they’re running a russian locale
- 2.5% still on control (this is a general update problem)
- Add-ons are sometimes blocked (stay tuned for bug #)
- 4-5% on null - means they did not get the e10s roll-out
- Counting entire release population - including an extra 10% who won’t qualify (orphaned on earlier releases - not 48 or above)
- Why not 40-41%?
- Investigation continues for bug 1300411 - user reports excessive load spinning when switching tabs with e10s in 48.0.2 release. Here is what we know:
- There are 6 individual reports; engineering is actively engaged with 1-2 people. One of which that is the most reproducible seems related to an issue with 1279086 bug 1279086 google docs. [SV has been able to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1300411#c42 manually reproduce the issue].
- In order to better surmise the scale of the this issue, we are landing opt-out telemetry probes as of Firefox 49 bug 1301104 and bug 1301435.
- We are also disabling e10s for users who are experiencing the spinner upon opening a new tab. This will be included as a ridealong for the next dot release for 49 (if we decide to ship one).
- We are close with a fix for our top issue that caused us to temporarily disable E10s for the Russian Locale since the crash impacts a popular email site. Initial tests show that the fix seems to be working as expected.
[ON TRACK] Add-Ons + WebExtensions
- See full Add-Ons status, here
- We shipped Firefox 49 with a set of compatible Add-Ons enabled.
- We will continue A/B experiments on Beta and will maintain the same % of the population (50% of eligible).
- General roll-out plan for including extensions is here.
[AT RISK] A11y + Windows 8 Touchscreen Support
- A11y and touchscreen support has landed in 51. We are targeting 52 so we can:
- NVDA is the first client we plan on achieving compliance with. We feel that if A11y can work with NVDA, we should be at about 90% of functionality with other, similar clients.
[ON TRACK] RTL Support
- bug 1277831 E10s support for RTL versions of Firefox on Windows and Mac is on track for Firefox 50. Softvision has just signed off on RTL support for e10s in their mid-aurora sign-offs.
- E10s support for RTL versions of Firefox on Linux has landed for 52.
[IN PROGRESS] E10s on Windows XP
- We are making a concerted effort to support E10s on Windows XP.
- Details can be found, here: bug 1296279
[ON TRACK] Automated tests
- We are at 90% Test coverage for all channels. We have touched base with all module owners. Not all of them have signed off specifically but we are calling it within acceptable range for shipping at this point.
- Working to get tests enabled for A11y is currently our focus.
[IN PROGRESS] Multi Process
Bi-weekly meetings have commenced for e10s-multi, see more info:
- E10s multi will be enabled in Firefox 52 Nightly but will not ride the trains.
|3-07||48 default||47 default||46 A/B Tests||45 off|
|4-18||49 default||48 default||47 A/B Tests, Possible Rollout (add-ons = ally = no)||46 off|
|6-07||50 default||49 default||48 Possible Rollout (add-ons + ally = no)||47 off|
|8-02||51 default||50 default||49 Possible Rollout (add-ons + ally = no)||48 Rollout (add-ons + ally = no)|
|9-20||52 default (multi-lands)||51 default||50 Rollout (add-ons = yes + ally = no)||49 Rollout (known good add-ons = yes, ally = no)|
|11-8||53 default (multi-enabled)||52 (multi =yes)||51 default||50 rollout + known good add-ons|