EU Intercommunity Meetup 2009
The Mozilla European Inter-Community Meetup is the first of a series of community gatherings aiming to bring together active communities from across Europe in the same city for a day of presentations, discussions and workshops. The aim of the event is to enable communities to share experiences, learn from each other and improve collaboration.
- Mozilla Danmark (MozDK) represented by Hansen, Henrik Gemal and Jesper Kristensen
- Mozilla Italia represented by Giuliano "jooliaan" Masseroni, Francesco "flod" Lodolo and Simone "Underpass" Lando
- Mozilla Hispano represented by Nukeador, Francisco Picolini and StripTM
- Mozilla Germany represented by Kadir Topal, Thomas Schwecherl and Michael Köhler
- Mozilla France (MozFR) represented by Cedric Corazza, Goofy and Omnisilver
Mozilla Staff present
- William Quiviger - Community Marketing Manager (European Marketing Team)
- David Tenser - Manager (Mozilla Support)
- Pascal Chevrel - Web Localization (Mozilla l10n)
- Carsten Book "Tomcat" - QA Engineer (Mozilla QA)
- Tristan Nitot - President, Mozilla Europe
- Chris Hofmann - Director, Special Programs
Date and Location
The meeting will take place all day 'Saturday, June 13th, 2009 from 10am to 6pm in downtown Geneva (exact location to be confirmed).
Format and Tentative Schedule
The meeting will be comprised of short presentations, workshops, discussions.
|Time Slot||Meeting Room|
|09:00 - 09:45||WELCOME Breakfast|
|09:45 - 10:00||Welcome talk - William Quiviger|
|10:00 - 10:45||Mozilla QA - Tomcat (very short slide overview, open discussion about QA and the L10 Process, what work, what can we improve, ideas)|
|10:45 - 11:00||Mozilla Meetups (Short Introduction, How-to, etc) - Tomcat|
|11:00 - 11:05||COFFEE BREAK|
|11:05 - 11:50||Mozilla Italia's experiences with SUMO and community support - Mozilla Italia|
|11:50 - 12:35||General SUMO discussion (open discussion to share experiences with SUMO among all communities, what works well, what we can improve, questions, ideas) - djst|
|12:35 - 13:00||"10 things I learned contributing on BabelZilla project, and some about FrenchMoz" - Goofy (TBC)|
|13:00 - 14:00||LUNCH|
|14:00 - 15:00||KompoZer - Reaching 100 locales - MDC - Cédric (maybe more topics to come)|
|15:00 - 16:00||Mozilla Community Theme - status, forthcoming - Kadir (mostly a discussion how to push the development effort|
|16:00 - 16:15||COFFEE BREAK|
|16:15 - 16:45||Mozilla Hispano Community Update|
|16:45 - 19:00||OPEN DISCUSSION|
|19:00 - 00:00||Mozilla Night on the Town|
Please post topics you would like to address here:
- Localization tools
- Me too, and Mozilla support in general (Jesper, dk)
- QA & L10n (Tomcat)
- Organization of Inter-community events
- Mozilla and Opensource Meetups (Tomcat)
- MCS https://wiki.mozilla.org/MCS (hansen, MozDK)
- Relations with other open source communities (added by willyaranda, MozHispano)
- Current and future status of AMO localization (flod)
- Legal questions i.e. domains, logos and more (hansen, MozDK)
- How can we grow our communities? Some interesting ideas are coming out in the comments of this post (flod)
- ...please add more topics...
If people are interested and we have time:
- I can dig up and share some data on Firefox growth- chofmann
- Please do (Jesper, MozDK)
- Can you also find some data on various OS usage on Firefox+Thunderbird for each country and worldwide? (hansen, MozDK)
- Also some research/thoughts/discussion on what defines and makes open organizations and communities tick - chofmann
- I can't talk about an interesting open source "book sprint" project I was recently involved with to produce a Firefox Manual ( http://en.flossmanuals.net/firefox ) and how Mozilla might leverage this to produce additional manuals and documentation
- these three items can also just be over beers. I'm mostly interested in the topics already on the agenda and higher on the list. -chofmann ;-)
- ...please add more topics...
Some of the parts i want to cover in my session ! I plan to do a short slide presentation 3-4 slides and the rest via open talk !
- Short overview about the QA Release Process - what we do as QA to maintain the great quality of Firefox !
- Overview about the L10n Testing we do (Litmus, Feedback Tracking in Communites)
- Short Presentation of QMO (and how to reach the QA Team)
- Checking what L10n Communities do on Testing (do you have a testing community? Do you test your builds)
- Asking where L10n Communities expect more help or information from QA (What can we do for you ? Can we make anything better)
- Suggestions from L10n Community Leads...
Slides and notes
- Italy :
- France :
- Spain: coming back soon - repairing broken link
Denmark notes : http://somethin-else.org/public/Henrik__s_notes.rtf
Choffman's notes : http://somethin-else.org/public/Choffman__s_notes_-_GENEVA.rtf
All travel costs will be covered by Mozilla. Each participant will need to fill out a Mozilla Expense Form, scan all their receipts and send everything to William.
Participants are asked to book their travel as soon as possible so as to find the lowest fares possible.
Recommended date of Arrival : Friday June 12th Recommended date of Departure : Sunday June 14th
A hotel will be booked in advance and participants will be asked to share rooms. Hotel name and address to be confirmed shortly.
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner will be paid for by Mozilla on June 13th and only Breakfast on Sunday June 14th
If you arrive early Friday and leave late Sunday, then please try to make food plans with some other teams, so we can meet and talk as much as possible in this short weekend. (hansen, MozDK)
Express Geneva Hotel
Everyone will be staying at the Express Geneva Hotel
See map here
The hotel has a very practical location (2 min away from the airport and 15 minutes away from the main train station. It also has a good meeting room with all the fancy stuff that comes with it (flipcharts, projectors, writing boards etc...)
It looks a little out of the way from the city centre but in fact, it's actually very easy access to downtown Geneva so it will be easy for us to go out on the town Saturday evening after a long productive day :)
To and From Express Geneva Hotel
From airport: The arrival hall of the International Airport of Geneva is situated on Level -1. After the customs walk towards the exit and the taxi stands. Take to the right and you will see the Express Geneva hotel shuttle bus, which runs between the Airport and the hotel every 20 minutes from 05.50 am until 11.30 pm.
From Cornavin train station : The best way to get to the hotel from Cornavin train station is to either take the regional train (RE) to the International Airport of Geneva (get off at Genève Aeroport after about 6 minutes - (Ticket is CHF 5 = 3 EUR)), or you can take one of the many buses that go to the airport (15 minute ride but buses leave every 5 min). When you arrive at the airport, follow the signs for the arrival hall. Follow the above mentioned indications to the Express Geneva hotel shuttle bus. (CHF 3 = 2 EUR). Once you arrive at the airport, take the free Express Geneva shuttle which runs between the airport and the hotel every 20 minutes
- Breakfast will be served on Saturday and Sunday morning in the hotel.
- Sandwiches and beverages will be served for lunch in the meeting room
- A dinner will be organized in downtown Geneva at 20:45 at the following restaurant :
Pied de Cochon
place du Bourg-de-Four 4
(see map here)
WiFi is FREE at the hotel ONLY in the hotel lobby - for internet access in your room, you need to ask for an access code and you'll need to connect with an ethernet cable (which the hotel provides). The connection is CHF 10 (7 = EUR) for 24h access which sucks but if for some reason you really need to access the internet from your room urgently, just ask for a code at the reception desk and they'll charge it to Mozilla.
I'm going to bring a small Wifi router with me and see if I can share my room internet connection via WiFi :) It if works, the network will be called "Shiretoko"
The Hotel should offer you a Geneva Transport Card, that allows you to use public transport in Geneva free of charge during your stay.