what to measure
- tbeachball (time to get back to the main event loop), ttabopen
- look up a URL from a db size of N - know what sqlite does
- current tests are clean profile == useless for typical user experience
- need basic permutations for baseline data
- not much data from our various metrics projects
- optimize for heavy web users
- rollout spectator at MoCo
- ttabopen is too narrow, take the top 10 most common UI actions
- also need fine granularity: eg, add password to password store
- tbeachball: file bug to get notifications sent out.
- dtrace? limited platforms, need in-browser profiling system. configurable via pref?
- awesomebar: how fast to show results, responsiveness
- pasted text, long text
- when going from bookmarks to history, slows down
- new tab
- history menu
- startup with lots of tabs
- download manager window
- type-ahead-find: "bonk bonk bonk"
- testing with and w/o chrome for tp
- ts: need to measure cold start, as well as multi-tab
- use tp pageset to drive the tests?
- waiting on graphserver changes (schema something?)
- noise: disk, scheduling, thread manager
- toolkit.synchronous = 0 for talos?
- run talos with different profiles
- run some tests once a day
- tryserver is not reliable numbers
- where to report?
- don't make a performance component, use exisint components with perf keyword
- TODO: need shark builds
immediate work for 3.1:
- rstrong: extension manager code for migrating old profiles - bug #? - ping mossop
- places responsiveness fixes
- upgrade and migration
- TODO: fix dtrace js probes!
- TODO: need a startup timeline, profiles aren't good enough - talk to mobile, taras about current work