|L10N: Better first-run experience / language choice|
|Release target||Firefox 7|
|Status note||basic functionality landed, more to come in Firefox 8 and 9 - In 7 users can choose one of the languages in the multi-locale pack. All language packs will move to AMO with Fx9, while Firefox 9 for Android will be delivered in en-US only - in that version, the first-run will detect the Android OS language and auto-install languages from AMO.|
|Product manager||Thomas Arend|
|Directly Responsible Individual||`|
|QA lead||Aaron Train|
|UX lead||Brian Dils|
|Product marketing lead||`|
- Are there existing language packs on AMO? The list doesn't show any, but as far as Pike knows, that's only blessed ones.
- Who'd be the "owner" of language packs? Mostly a question of attribution vs permissions.
And with respect to http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/VLDiPkfl8p :
- Right now,restartless add-ons exclude modifications to the chrome registry. No idea how far folks are in fixing that. Need :bs, mossop?
- Where do we get thelocalized UI buttons and language names from for the startpage UI? Both from localizers to us, and from us to the browser. How does this differ for langpacks we build and langpacks contributed by outside community?
- How do we localize default bookmarks? Probably involves timing of language selection/installation and profile initialization, and/or a feature request on places.
Stage 1: Definition
1. Feature overview
Guide user to configure languages and personalize Firefox on first run.
Goal: reduce amount of locales packaged into apk & create better first-run experience for non-English native speakers for starting up Fennec in their language
We create language XPIs for many more languages than we ship in the multi-locale build. It's hard for users to find and install these locales. Putting our language XPIs on AMO, with a proper landing page, would be a big help. It would also be used as the foundation to the improved language firstrun experience. Perhaps the AMO landing page could _be_ the firstrun experience if the OS locale is not the current Firefox locale.
2. Users & use cases
Stage 2: Design
5. Functional specification
Finkle is working on a proof of concept restartless add-on. We can use an AMO API to retrieve locales. The add-on is using Brian's design as a guide for the selection UI.
6. User experience design
Stage 3: Planning
7. Implementation plan
Quality Assurance review
Stage 4: Development
- bug 634679 - Language pack add-ons installed on nightly builds must remain compatible
Stage 5: Release
10. Landing criteria
|Theme / Goal||`|
|Engineering team||Mobile front-end|
Team status notes