Festival2011/P2PU/School of Open
- Sunday 14:00 - 17:00, Section 604
- Format: Design Challenge!
- Time: 3 hours
- People: Jane Park (Creative Commons), John Britton (P2PU), Philipp Schmidt (P2PU)
P2PU and Creative Commons want to build a "School of Open" with you! In line with exciting work being done at P2PU's current schools -- the School of Webcraft, the School of Mathematical Futures, the School of Education, and the School of Social Innovation -- we will build a live, working prototype of the "School of Open" at http://p2pu.org/en/schools/school-of-open.
Come with ideas about what a general "School of Open" might entail, especially building on what the other schools already offer. We're going to brainstorm, create, test, and publish a prototype, including study groups and design challenges, on teaching and learning "openness". Productive session outcomes include:
- mission and vision for the "School of Open"
- list of required subjects to master in order to become an "expert" on openness,
- a syllabus for an "Openness 101" course,
- a complete case study on how openness has benefited a creator in a specific domain.
Other possible issues for us to tackle:
- How does one become an expert in openness, ie. CC licenses? And how can that be vetted?
- How do we even get people interested in a "School of Open" -- aka learning about the open web, open licenses, and open culture generally? (Incentives)
- How can we best crowd-source stories of people and organizations using open tools?
Expect a live product that we can showcase to others at the end of the session!
An "open" mind! A willingness to be part of the founding group for the "School of Open." Enthusiasm, creativity, a good balance between theory and action -- with a slant towards action.
You'll be asked to run the challenge you create, in addition to recruiting others. At the very least, you'll be asked to glance at http://p2pu.org/en/pages/get-involved/ and join our mailing list!
Please use #schoolofopen, #p2pu, #cc
Etherpad with Agenda and details! https://etherpad.mozilla.org/School-of-Open