These are areas of code that have been identified by various people as being desirable to look at for cleanup. Some of these are bigger chunks than others; some are also more vague than others, but there is some great fodder in here for sprints.
- big and ugly
- big and ugly
- split up into multiple files, examine code/timers/etc.
- would simplify/clean up code
- fix many bugs
autocomplete & formfill
- unnecessarily complicated
- needs to be more extensible (should be able to apply to any text)
prompt-related code (alert(), HTTP auth)
Startup & Shutdown
- ability to bring up a few components required to check if things have changed (e.g. extension install, upgrade, etc.), register these changes (might require a managed teardown at this point), and then startup without restarting the application
- XRE_main is big and complicated, needs testing
- shutdown code is confusing and fragile, has known bugs
- migrating/deprecating existing prefs
- Why do I have to cache things and set up observers? Isn't the point of a separate preferences module to do that for me? Shouldn't the preferences we need most often just be in a structure somewhere?
Safe Browsing/URL Classifier
- lots of dead code and premature componentization
- browser impl could be a module and less code
- old migrators make no sense (icab/omniweb)
- no migration from Chrome
- no password migration since IE6
- unclear whether Safari/etc. migration works well with latest versions
- Should rewrite/port to JS
- transferables, flavours, data, etc.
- missing potential easy helpers (only set string helper exists)
- lots of confusing use of mime types
- consistency in naming/usage
- "domwindowclosed", "TabOpen", "browser:purge-session-history", "quit-application"
- correct use of public and src, etc.
- OS theme detection
- Better set of extracted platform colors/textures
- Drawing title bar ourselves
- Toolbar customization
- Grouping controls
- Multiple instances of same control
- Ship with multiple themes
- Winstripe cleanup
- CSS defaults aren't in line with native theme values, so css can't be inspected to verify correctness
- Overall CSS and image cleanup (remove dependency on image atlases)
- Simplify access to known class/service objects
- Components.classes[blah].createInstance(IBlah) -> new Blah()
- Components.classes[blah].getService(IBlah).foo() -> BlahService.foo()
- .. is horrible.
- One of each of these is created for every window, many for each child window as well:
- PresShell, PresContext, Inner GlobalWindow, Outer Global Window, GlobalWindowChrome, FocusController, WindowRoot, DocShell, WebShellWindow, XULWindow, EventStateManager, EventListenerManager, FrameConstructor, View, ViewManager, Widget, DocumentViewer
- These interfaces and many more are used to access them:
- nsIDocumentViewer, nsIDOMWindow, nsIDOMWindowInternal, nsIDOMJSWindow, nsIDOMWindow2, nsIPresShell, nsIDocShell, nsIWebShell, nsIWidget, nsIXULWindow, nsIBaseWindow, nsIContentViewer, nsIContentViewerEdit, nsIContentViewerFile, nsIWebNavigation, nsIMarkupDocumentViewer, nsIBrowserDOMWindow, nsIDOMChromeWindow, nsIDocShellTreeItem, nsIDocShellTreeNode, nsIDocShellTreeOwner, plus ten or so interfaces than begin with nsIWebBrowser*
- Can we simplify/reduce?
- Even just code cleanup would help (brekaing up into multiple files)
- code cleanup, simplifying nested if/else for memory handling (should probably wait until memory alloc rework soon)