Actions from last meeting
General Topics / Roundtable
(tips/tricks/FYI, productivity improvements, industry news)
- [past] mentored bugs (and regular bugs too) would benefit from a brief comment that describes what needs to be done
- [MattN] No empty bug descriptions please
- [mconley] mozconfigwrapper is great if you use multiple mozconfigs (like one for debug, one for opt, etc)
- [MattN] enable the "fsmonitor" extension in your hgrc for much faster status results
- I still have hgwatchman installed. Do I need to do anything?
- mach mercurial-setup
- [Gijs] Bugzilla component for Control Center work
- Seems there's pretty broad consensus on fx-dev, so I'll probably file a bug for this by EOB unless I hear objections.
- Report your development frustrations via `mach rage`
- Although this is likely to be renamed in the future to something less rage-y
- Are the rage-isms publicized? Id est, where does this feedback go?
- [timdream] Question: should we triaging Limi's papercut into QX? https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=561125
- (found this bug because I found https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=695984 and really think it should be addressed in QX project)
- There's also a "papercut" keyword! :-)
- [mconley] Signed add-ons workaround?
- Being tracked: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1292444
- For development I use about:debugging#addons (Load Temporary Add-on)
- [jaws] eslint coding style
- eslint commit hook
- mqcommit = auto
- sublimetext has eslint plugin
- I think this is still relatively up to date: https://blog.mozilla.org/standard8/2015/05/13/using-eslint-alongside-the-firefox-hello-code-base-to-help-productivity/
- as do vim, emacs, etc.
Friends of the Firefox team
(Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Introductions)
- Resolved bugs (excluding employees):
- More than one bug fixed: https://mzl.la/2aVPHql
- Tooru Fujisawa [:arai]
- [mconley] Bug 1263011 - [tracking] Create WebExtension Experiments
- This seems to be a framework for experimenting with WebExtension APIs, and was blocking the native.js API https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1215306
- We are now rolling out to 10% of eligible release population
- Assuming no surprises
- There's a bug on central/aurora where the initial browser would crash in some situations. Fixed in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1290280 (thanks mikedeboer!)
- Otherwise, all quiet. There was a fireside chat yesterday with dbryant, elan, Asa and jst: https://air.mozilla.org/mozilla-weekly-project-meeting-20160815/
- Initial add-ons experiment data on 49 coming in tomorrow.
- See https://wiki.mozilla.org/E10s/Status/Aug12 for more details
Firefox Core Engineering
- ^ Now, with install & update also
- Rewrite of symbolapi.m.o is almost ready for code review and Ops integration (and testing before replacing the current server)
- (volunteers for testing would be great)
- Client-side stackwalking (Nightly, Aurora) is blocked on upstream breakpad merges
- Flash-blocking is slow starting; need to define Test Pilot experiment
- (and we're hiring: senior windows specialist, junior platform devs)
- Hello removed from FF 49 & later. A Go Faster update has just been posted to warn Hello users in 48 that it will be removed.
Platform UI and other Platform Audibles
- [mconley] A patch is up to combine the e10s and non-e10s nsFormAutoComplete implementations (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1294502 )
- [mconley] Now working on replacing the <xul:tree> based AutoCompletePopup with a <xul:richlistbox> based one (for easier styling) (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1189618 )
- Heads up - Bug 1289974 - [Presentation WebAPI] provide a trusted UI for device selection on Firefox (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1289974 )
- Bug 1186948 - remove Flash from navigator.plugins when it's click-to-play (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1186948 )
- part of the Flash blocking project is to prefer fallback content for a Flash element; should help that a bit
- Bug 1289802 - replace "install flash" content with click to play UI when flash is click to play (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1289802 )
- [MattN] Landed: Login capture code runs upon page navigation if there are formless password fields present
- [saadq] In progress: Broadening password fill suggestions shown in the context menu to include eTLD+1 subdomains
- Intern presentation on Thursday
- [johannh] Control center and permission prompts are now captured by mozscreenshots on Nightlies
- the first round of permission prompt UI changes has now landed in the elm branch
- A/V streaming or permissions being used will now be visible from an animated indicator in the URL bar (or site favicon in the case of background tabs)
- TP/DNT changes landed in 51 and will be uplifted to 50.
Quality of Experience
- Findbar modal highlighting improvements (UX & perf)
- XUL theme replacement project kicked-off
- More noise and explanation coming soon!
- Dao's been killing it on fixing high-contrast (A11Y) theme bugs (1016556)
- Dao also working on getting Control-Tab shippable and exposed in prefs (505404)
- Katie just landed new zoom indicator in url bar (565718)
- Jared fixed a bunch of eslint bugs (enabling more checks)
- Background windows on Windows 10 will now grey out the entire tab label to make background windows more obvious (bug 1172890)
- To be clear, that's "grey out the entire label" not "fade out rather than ellipsis", right? ( https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=658467 )
- yes, not "fade out rather than ellipsis"
- Gijs is back from PTO!
- Landed one-off search buttons in the awesomebar for consistency among all of our search entry points.
- Lots of followup work after these changes and the redesigned panel UI that shipped in 48.
- Landed the short-term improvements for hi-res favicons. As the cached favicons expire the experience should start to improve in Nightly.
- about:searchreset will be disabled in 48 to give us time to collect more data through new telemetry probes and dashboards and a Shield study.