Today’s meeting leader is: harry
- 1 General Topics / Roundtable
- 2 Friends of the Firefox team
- 3 Project Updates
- 3.1 Add-ons / Web Extensions
- 3.2 Developer Tools
- 3.3 Fission
- 3.4 Form Autofill
- 3.5 Installer & Updater
- 3.6 Lint and Docs
- 3.7 macOS Spotlight
- 3.8 Messaging System
- 3.9 New Tab Page
- 3.10 Nimbus
- 3.11 NodeJS
- 3.12 Password Manager
- 3.13 PDFs & Printing
- 3.14 Performance
- 3.15 Performance Tools
- 3.16 Picture-in-Picture
- 3.17 Privacy/Security
- 3.18 Search and Navigation
- 3.19 Screenshots
- 4 This week I learned
General Topics / Roundtable
Friends of the Firefox team
For contributions from April 6 to April 20 2021, inclusive.
Fixed more than one bug
- Claudia Batista [:claubatista]
- Evgenia Kotovich
- Falguni Islam
- Garima Mazumdar
- kaira [:anshukaira]
- Kajal Sah
- Liz Krane
- Luz De La Rosa
- Manuel Carretero
- Michael Kohler [:mkohler]
- Michelle Goossens
- Sarah Ukoha
- Sebastian Zartner [:sebo]
- Tim Nguyen :ntim
New contributors (🌟 = first patch)
- 🌟 Manuel Carretero removed all references to transform-flow-strip-types in the Debugger codebase and removed references to inline tooltips in the Inspector codebase.
- 🌟 Rucha Yagnik removed all mentions of TYPE_UNKNOWN listed in toolkit/components/certviewer.
- 🌟 Falguni Islam removed dead pref extensions.screenshots.upload-disabled and unused function isUploadDisabled().
- 🌟 Claudia Batista organized certerror code into its own directory in browser/base/content/.
- 🌟 Sarah Ukoha fixed about:telemetry#events-tab to Display The Avif file Type as avif, fixed the "signon.recipes.remoteRecipesEnabled" pref, fixed a spacing issue on the about:logins import summary page, replaced BrowserTestUtils.waitForCondition with TestUtils.waitForCondition in browser_policy_extensions.js, and fixed a style issue in the protections panel.
- Ramya Praneetha renamed "Show blocked pop-up" to "Open blocked pop-up" in site info menu.
- 🌟 Garima Mazumdar fixed title text in the DevTools Settings panel and removed Places-only sqrt SQL function and replaced it with the official one
- anshukaira fixed the about:logins importer to not display (not imported) if the number of imported logins is 0 and fixed a style issue on the about:logins summary page.
- 🌟 Evgenia Kotovich fixed some style issues on the about:logins summary page.
- 🌟 Dawit moved some browser/components/search tests.
- 🌟 Larissa centered the Analyze button icon in the DevTools Netmonitor.
- Vishal fixed a style issue on about:devtools.
- 🌟 disha replaced BrowserTestUtils.waitForCondition with TestUtils.waitForCondition in browser_aboutwelcome_multistage.js
- 🌟 Leslie replaced BrowserTestUtils.waitForCondition with TestUtils.waitForCondition in browser_extension_sideloading.js
- 🌟 Osagie replaced BrowserTestUtils.waitForCondition with TestUtils.waitForCondition in browser_aboutDialog_distribution.js
- Kajal Sah fixed lint errors in browser/extensions/screenshots/build/shot.js.
- 🌟 Rucha Yagnik replaced BrowserTestUtils.waitForCondition with TestUtils.waitForCondition in browser_popupNotification_selection_required.js
- 🌟 Theodora Sabalou replaced BrowserTestUtils.waitForCondition with TestUtils.waitForCondition in browser_geolocation_indicator.js
- 🌟 Aditi Singh replaced BrowserTestUtils.waitForCondition with TestUtils.waitForCondition in browser_bookmarks_shortcut.js
- 🌟 Filipa Rocha Replace BrowserTestUtils.waitForCondition with TestUtils.waitForCondition in browser_page_action_menu_share_mac.js
- 🌟 Umar Ahmed removed expired Telemetry probe preferences.use_current_page
- 🌟 George A. Michel replaced BrowserTestUtils.waitForCondition with TestUtils.waitForCondition in browser/base/content/test/pageActions/
- 🌟 Luz De La Rosa fixed some issues with hovered buttons in the protections panel.
- 🌟 Toby She Remove expired Telemetry probe APPLICATION_REPUTATION_HASH_LENGTH
- 🌟 Bukola Felicia Akinnadeju replaced BrowserTestUtils.waitForCondition with TestUtils.waitForCondition in browser_progress_keyword_search_handling.js
- 🌟 Victor Alvarez removed expired Telemetry probe corroborate.omnijar_corrupted
Add-ons / Web Extensions
Addon Manager & about:addons
- ntim fixed an alignment issue on the about:addons page options menu (regressed in the same nightly version by Bug 1699917, an MR1 related cleanup) - Bug 1703487
- Michelle Goossens contributed a fix to ensure "Restart with addons disabled" opt-in the new MR1-window-modal UI - Bug 1685346
- Extensions web_accessible_resources are not blocked anymore by CORS checks - Bug 1694679
Fixed a bug that was preventing the “New Windows and Tabs URL” controlled by an extension to be updated as expected when the url changes as part of an extension update - Bug 1698619
NOTE: Firefox will re-prompt the user if the url is changed to an external URL from a previous one packaged into the extension itself
Fission, targeting two upcoming milestones
M7a - working on BFCache related bugs
M8 - reaching feature parity with pre-Fission state
- Style resources (*.css files) blocked by CSP are properly displayed in the Network monitor panel (bug).
Installer & Updater
We plan to stage roll out to Beta users in the Beta 89 cycle, and to Release users in the Firefox 89 cycle.
- Of note to this audience: as part of this work,a while ago we made launching devtools not apply updates: Bug 1120863. We’d like to do more in that direction but It Is Complicated -- cheers to :bytesized for the epic bug comment!
Lint and Docs
- ./mach doc no longer needs a globally installed jsdoc. jsdoc is now installed to node_modules using the same set-up as ESLint.
- As part of the work we also updated most of the node modules that we use to the latest versions (mainly bug fixes).
- Thank you to Falguni Islam and Kajal Sah who have been working with Emma Malysz to enable ESLint on browser/extensions/screenshots.
- ESlint has also been enabled on some more of the dom/security/test directories.
macOS Spotlight is a new team spanning Desktop and Platform working on improving macOS platform integration. Come say hello to the team in the #macdev channel on Matrix! Here’s what the team has worked on since its inception in mid-February.
- Elastic overscroll (“rubberbanding”) is enabled (Bug 1704231).
- Double-tap-to-zoom is enabled (Bug 674371). Double tap with two fingers to zoom in on a section of a webpage.
- Native context menus are nearly done (Bug 34572). They’re currently disabled pending test failures (tracked in Bug 1700724). Enable widget.macos.native-context-menus to try them out.
- When mousing to the top of the window in fullscreen, the titlebar no longer covers the tab strip (Bug 738335).
- Long tooltips will no longer appear on the wrong monitor (Bug 1689682).
- The sidebar now has a vibrant see-through appearance (Bug 1594132).
- Fixed an issue where the app menu would open at the wrong size then shrink (Bug 1687774).
- Right click on the toolbar in fullscreen mode and click “Hide Toolbars” to hide the toolbar. This feature has been broken on macOS for years and is now fixed! This is useful for presentations (Bug 740148).
- The Firefox System theme now changes with the “Auto” OS theme (bug 1593390).
- Ongoing work on enabling native fullscreen by default (Bug 1631735). Enable full-screen-api.macos-native-full-screen to always use macOS native fullscreen.
- Ongoing work on enhanced dark mode support. This includes theming the titlebar and non-browser windows like Library, using dark stoplight buttons, dark context menus, dark tooltips, dark highlight colors, and more. Enable widget.macos.respect-system-appearance to try it out (expect breakage!) (Bug 1623686).
- Several improvements to the “default browser” prompt with “primary” (pin on Windows), add Firefox logo, “always ask” -> “don’t show”, stop showing infobar
- Updated about:welcome for new designs with fun noodles and turned on by default
- New dialog shown to users who upgrade explaining changes and theme change
New Tab Page
Shout-out to the following contributors
Sarah Ukoha contributed fixes to the following issues:
anshukaira contributed fixes to the following issues:
Evgenia Kotovich contributed fixes to the following issues:
- Thanks to pbz for resolving an issue where two VPN proxy logins were appearing instead of only one
This improves the experience of the Save/Dismiss doorhanger panel and ensure we more accurately capture the email address as a username when appropriate
Improves doorhanger panel experience on ebay, etsy, lowes, newegg and other sites
PDFs & Printing
- No update
- OS.File is almost completely out of the startup path - only a handful of bugs remain and they all have patches up.
- kmoir ported the “best practices for front-end Firefox engineers” document to source docs
- Made the profile info button more explicit
- Marker tooltips now display the inner window ids if there are multiple pages with the same URL
You can see the id at the right side of the URL now
- Test category is being displayed first in the Marker Chart now, as they are very relevant when they exist
- Zip file viewer now automatically expands all the children
MR1 address bar graduated to the main MR1 pref!
fixes to colors, padding, icons and better support for custom themes (improved contrast, separators, hover/selected)
New tab page search hand-off to urlbar is moving to release with MR1
Updated the separate search bar design to fit in with MR1.
- Fixed a bug where the default search engine couldn’t be changed under unexpected conditions - Bug 1693585
- Removed support to install opensearch engines via ftp - Bug 1692018
- Thanks to our outreachy candidates have been picking up good-first-bugs across Firefox, and best of luck to them
This week I learned
- [mak] You can now use various math functions in SQLite SQL queries (Firefox 89+)
[mconley] Gecko supports -webkit-line-clamp. This lets us crop wrapped text after a certain number of lines.
I think we’ve been using this in our about:newtab Pocket cards.
[jaws] This is another approach that could be used if -webkit-line-clamp is difficult to use, https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/rev/b6f52976b562008c9d9ceeda22907e1eda506c8e/browser/themes/shared/places/places-tooltip.inc.css#15-18
- [standard8] You can add images (e.g. flow charts) to our Firefox source docs.
[mstriemer] Use @media (-moz-toolbar-prefers-color-scheme: dark) for common.css pages to match theme dark mode
[mconley] Should we outlaw using prefers-color-scheme in the browser UI css via ReviewBot?
- (Maybe soon, once we add a -moz-panel-prefers-color-scheme) ;)