- 1 Actions from last meeting
- 2 General Topics / Roundtable
- 3 Friends of the Firefox team
- 4 Project Updates
- 4.1 Add-ons
- 4.2 Context Graph
- 4.3 E10s
- 4.4 Firefox Core Engineering [https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox_Core_Engineering]
- 4.5 Form Autofill
- 4.6 Go Faster
- 4.7 Platform UI and other Platform Audibles
- 4.8 Privacy/Security
- 4.9 Quality of Experience
- 4.10 Search
- 4.11 Sync/FxA
- 4.12 Video control visual update (bug 1271765)
- 4.13 Storage Management
- 4.14 Content Handling Enhancement
- 4.15 Project Mortar (PDF)
- 5 This week I learned
Actions from last meeting
- Skipping in 2 weeks (MozAloha); mconley running in 4 weeks.
General Topics / Roundtable
(tips/tricks/FYI, productivity improvements, industry news)
- [mconley] Start logging at runtime
- [mconley] Working on the crash reporter? Use ./mach run --enable-crash-reporter (here’s the bug where this got added)
- [jaws] congrats to Mossop for module ownership! +1
- mikedeboer (and jaws as a back-up) have graciously volunteered to be meeting master for next time. \o/ Thanks!
Friends of the Firefox team
(Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Introductions)
- Resolved bugs (excluding employees): https://mzl.la/2h6xY5V
- More than one bug fixed:
- Matheus Longaray (:mlongaray)
- Tomer Cohen :tomer
- Tooru Fujisawa [:arai]
- New contributors:
- Aniruddha Patil cleaned up some of our styling for the Developer Edition theme
- Avikalpa Kundu removed some unnecessary Telemetry
- Iulian Radu got rid of an obscure preference that we no longer need
- katecastellano simplified some of our @media selectors for our Windows themes
- Jalen Adams removed an unused image from the tree
- Pavan Karthik removed some of our expired Telemetry histograms
- Vedant Sareen updated SessionStore so that it doesn’t store the (now unneeded) crop attribute
- More than one bug fixed:
(read only, very bad internet for andym today. I blame the weather)
- 2017 plans blog post
- contextualIdentities API now available
- browsingData API in progress
- Devtools API in progress
- Permissions landing in 53, multi-package XPI support removed
- We got the Washington Post Trump article updated with a Firefox version.
- Activity Stream desktop has released a Shield study. The goal is to optimize for user engagement before becoming the default about:newtab experience
- Tracking bug for e10s-multi talos blockers
- Graphics suspects that at least the tps regression is caused by us not sharing the glyph cache between content processes
- mconley fixed Bug 1323586 - No frame painted when switching to a remote tab that's undergoing paint suppression
- Tab switch spinner graphs!
- e10s has been re-enabled for users in ru-* locales
Firefox Core Engineering [https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox_Core_Engineering]
- Content process crash pings has landed \o/ (bug 1293656).
- Stability (wrt crashes) dashboard has moved to https://telemetry.mozilla.org/crashes/
- Disabling potentially unused dashboards from t.m.o (such as broken ones). Please file an issue if you need one that is now dark (bug 1324526).
- We’re going to push for encouraging users of 43-47 to update to current (exact date TBD, but before the end of this month).
- Aiming for a Shield study of Flash defaulting as click-to-play in Q1 (FF52) prior to releasing that later in 2017.
- Updating Installer UI (bug 893505).
- Discussed plans and architecture diagrams for the upcoming M1 work
- Discussed with Web Payments team about shared storage/UI
- Landed initial frame script loaded via our bootstrap.js. Code is behind a pref.
- In review: Bug 1304634 - Support populating autocomplete results from form autofill code
- [bsmedberg] There’s a small problem with system add-ons. For out-of-band updates, we’re seeing low uptake rates (60% of the population gets the update). Be aware if you’re shipping things oob, you might not get to large parts of the population. We’re not planning on using these things for hotfix / chemspill reasons. ddurst believes rhelmer owns this. (bug 1307568)
Platform UI and other Platform Audibles
- jjong landed Bug 1286182 - Implement the layout for <input type=date>
- Disabled behind dom.forms.datetime and dom.forms.datetime.timepicker
- MSU students have finished up their semester - see this update, along with their excellent final video presentation
- Captive Portal detection is now riding the trains and is scheduled to ship in 52 (bug 1313706).
- When a captive portal is detected in 53, cert error pages will describe the actual problem and provide a link to log in to the captive portal (bug 989197)
- More polish work for captive portal detection to follow.
- Editing the location bar will now hide any notification icons that pertain to the currently visible page to avoid confusion about the properties of the page about to be visited (bug 1300755)
- Work on the redesigned permission prompts continues and the changes are on track to ship in 53.
- [MattN] Please test the insecure login field warning as it’s ready for Nightly testing but needs automated tests updated before enabling for everyone: security.insecure_field_warning.contextual.enabled=true; signon.autofillForms.http=false
Quality of Experience
- Student-run project to update preferences UI and remove inconsistencies
- Meta bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1324168
- Specs are attached to the meta bug, UX team in Taipei completed user research and user testing of different organization to get a more productive UI
- !!! →→→→ Most of these can be filed as good-first-bugs if you are looking to mentor a bug ←←←←
- Theme API
- Work will begin in Q1 to start implementing the Theme API in mozilla-central
- Community outreach soon to communicate the planned API
- Will schedule a couple short meetings with some Firefox front-end engineers to discuss implementation and ask for feedback on internal API
- Onboarding 51 funnelcake
- Work is ongoing to provide a new onboarding experience for new Firefox users as part of a funnelcake running against Firefox 51 release
- Metabug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1322718
- Marco posted a first set of WIP patches towards a long-term fix for hi-res favicons (bug 977177). Coordinating with the Activity Stream team on supporting their use cases as well.
- Drew posted a first draft of a new awesomebar results API for add-ons that need to replace everything (bug 1257550).
- The SHIELD study for a unified URL and search bar is still ongoing. The results are expected some time in January.
- Getting ready to launch another search-related Test Pilot experiment in January.
Video control visual update (bug 1271765)
Content Handling Enhancement
Download Panel (sean/rex)
- Sean fixed 2 bugs: Bug 1282664, Bug 1269958
- Bug 1282662 - patch under review by Paolo
- Bug 1269957 - patch under review by Paolo
RDF Replacement (alphan)
- Bug 1287660 - revising patch based on Paolo’s suggestion in Hawaii
Protocol Handler Registration (eden)
- Bug 1270416 - revising patch based on Gijs’s suggestion
Project Mortar (PDF)
This week I learned
- [for mconley?] https://www.brokenbrowser.com/abusing-of-protocols/
- That’s the one!
- FYI, we prompt by default, but we explicitly chose not to prompt for ms-windows-store back when we did our modern-windows-app explorations during the Win8(.1) era, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=866065
- Revisiting that is a pref flip away if necessary.
- [bsmedberg] New result type
- [mconley] Editor multiple selection discussion
- Rust required to build Gecko
- Reader Mode now shows reading time estimate
- Tab Titles are faded out now instead of cropped with an ellipsis!