Personal tools

Firefox/Planning/2011-06-22

From MozillaWiki

Jump to: navigation, search
« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays - 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC
  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
REMEMBER
These notes are read by people who weren't able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.


Contents

Actions from Last Week

  • Email going out to developers who have SDK-based add-ons to update their add-ons to >= 1.0 RC2 - we will be auto-upgrading add-ons that fit this version constraint to 1.0 final. (Dan)
  • Jennifer to come back around next week with a plan for sync addon retirement and 3.6.x

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 4.0, 5.0)

  • 5.0 came out on Tuesday
    • Looking at feedback to make sure nothing bad pops up
    • Plan is to unthrottle tomorrow morning
  • 3.6.18 came out on Tuesday
  • 3.5 users will be updated to 3.6.18
  • There will be no 4.0.2
    • Firefox 5 is the security/stability update for Firefox 4
    • Christian is going to blog today to reiterate yet again
  • There will be a 3.6.19 - expecting to ship at same time as Firefox6.0

Beta (5)

  • Firefox 5 pushed to the release channel as well
  • Some discussion about if we will put a version of Aurora on beta early (discussed in the Thursday Aurora meeting)
  • Next official migration is July 5th

Aurora (6)

  • Christian is sending nag emails for bugs not landed yet
  • Next official migration is July 5th

Nightly (7)

  • Next official migration is July 5th
  • 350 change sets for about 260 bugfixes in the last week.

Firefox Mobile

5

Firefox 5 launched yesterday (sim-ship with desktop)

6

Currently in AURORA, ready to move to BETA on July 5 (see Release Schedule)

7

currently in NIGHTLY channel; moves to AURORA on July 5, 2011 (see Release Schedule)

Firefox Sync

Add-on Builder

  • update going out today, an SDK change enforced something that was not previously enforced in the XPI creation cycle.
  • next release is all about increasing speed and stabilization after the beta release

Add-on SDK 1.0

  • RC3 last Wednesday, June 15
  • RC4 to address one last blocker last Friday, June 17
  • final release shipped on time alongside Firefox 5 yesterday, Tuesday, June 21
  • tree thawed for post-1.0 development last Wednesday, June 22
  • draft development process/release schedule posted to Jetpack discussion group last Wednesday and dev.planning today
  • a satisfied customer, yesterday, on IRC:
(18:13:58) doubletap: you guys have been great!! except for a couple little bugs,
i have been able to port my 30 files with thousands of lines of JS from chrome to
firefox in less than a week. thank you all you jetpack folks. i now get to go on
vacation.
(18:14:07) Melez Myk: doubletap: awesome, happy vacation!
(18:14:54) Melez Myk: doubletap: don't hesitate to let us know about those bugs,
either via the discussion group
<http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla-labs-jetpack>,
filing bug reports
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Add-on SDK>...
(18:15:11) doubletap: the bugs are mine :)
(18:15:26) Melez Myk: doubletap: or posting in the support forum
<https://forums.mozilla.org/addons/viewforum.php?f=27>
(18:15:34) Melez Myk: doubletap: oh! ok, never mind then :-)

Input 4.2

  • ETA is 6/28
  • ElasticSearch is mostly integrated on Staging and the Metrics team has a cluster set up for it.
  • Grouperfish is looking to be ready for the release too.
  • Some quick wins: Themes will show up happy/sad themes, sites will be fully working
  • Daily automated metrics reports for rapid release which includes ADUs, crashers/100 users, median startup, add-on compatibility, praise/issues for each channel and open bugs where relevant

Feedback Summary

  • Slow, laggy (?)
  • Extensions
  • Some website issues

Press & Public Reactions

Questions, Comments and Highlights

  • What's our 3.6 EOL plan? (catlee)
    • We are having a meeting next week to discuss...details will be sent to dev-planning
  • Planning to turn off our FF3.5 automation (catlee)
    • We need to give a heads up to linux vendors
    • Probably need to wait until after blackhat if outside companies/users are relying on the branch
    • Should talk to kev as well
  • Users refusing the update (because of extensions) or trying a really hard to get Firefox 4 and then disabling updates. (Cheng)
    • For extension issues, ask users to use Add-on compat reporter, contact the extension dev.
    • For using the web, try an alternative browser (worst case, 3.6.18)
  • Version number confusion/churn FF5
  • Selenium and FF5
    • Johnathan to ping webdev about Selenium
  • How current/accurate is the Flight Tracking page for Firefox 7? Are there features without feature pages QA should be aware of? What's the status of features with passed ETAs? (ashughes)
    • Asa will look into the pages and make sure the pages reflect the release as accurately as possible
    • Johnathan notes that not all features have project managers yet and that it will take some number of releases before we get it right

Actions this week

  • Dave M to report on early Addon SDK uptake stats
  • Christian to report on 3.6 EOL meeting outcome
  • Johnathan to ping web dev about selenium bustage in FF5. DONE
    • From Dave Hunt in email:
      Selenium 2.0rc3 was released earlier this week with support for Firefox 5. Selenium IDE (a Firefox addon) does not officially support Firefox 5, however this is currently being tested and should be released in the near future.
  • catlee/joduinn to report back on discussions around shuttering 3.5 automation