Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
- Vidyo Room: Warp Core
- Vidyo Guest URL
- 1 Actions from Last Week
- 2 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- 3 Feedback Summary
- 4 UX & User Research
- 5 Market Insights
- 6 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- 7 Questions, Comments, FYI
- 8 Actions this week
Actions from Last Week
- kev to totes run the meeting this week (with closing dance number)
- lawrence/cheng to come back on uptick in perf concerns on FF11 input
- Sent email to release-drivers, there are some issues with telemetry but there's not much we can do about it now.
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
Release (3.6, 10, 10esr)
- No new issues to report w/r/t 3.6.27 and 10.0.2
- Expecting go-to-build for 3.6.28, 10.0.3esr on Friday March 2nd
- Firefox 11 beta 5 will be shipped Friday
- Friday is also our FF11 code freeze date
- Final sign-offs will be held next Wednesday
- bug 711193 - turn on "don't load tabs until selected" by default
- bug 469434 - links in "view source" should have "copy link location" in context menu
- bug 613588 - Replace livemarks with asynchronous load-on-demand livemarks (was: Livemarks cause synchronous I/O during txul)
- bug 699247 - Remove support for executing on Windows 2000
- bug 693510 - drop support for prefixes from border-radius* and box-shadow
- bug 729133 - preconnect http sessions before cache lookup
- bug 522607 - [css3-background] Accept background-position values like "bottom 10px right 10px"
- bug 548375 - Implement background-repeat as a keyword pair as well as just a single keyword
- Work is ongoing for the off main thread compositing branch (OMTC/Maple)
- review process for merge into m-c starting in a week (tentative)
- Syncing passwords and open tabs is still progressing
- (read the wiki update)
- In Progress:
- Android Sync
- Not sure how to file a good android sync bug? http://160.twinql.com/how-to-file-a-good-android-sync-bug
- Sync 2.0 protocol/Persona(BrowserID) auth integration
- will not be backwards compatible or interoperable
- representing significant changes on front & back ends
- Android Sync
- 1.0 launched last Wednesday
- Focus will be on increasing number of third-party libraries on the site
Release (1.5 -> Firefox 10, 11)
- Released 1.5 Last Tuesday!
- Start of Native mobile support: primers here and here!
- Start of l10n support: Docs show you how
- Repacks will be necessary for Firefox 11 compatibility
Stabilization (1.6 -> Firefox 11, 12)
- On track to release on 3 April, 2012
Development (1.7 -> Firefox 12, 13)
- On track to merge to Stabilization on 3 April, 2012
More Add-ons News:
- AMO Review queue hit ZERO a couple weeks ago!
- Basically the same as last week:
- Add: McAfee is causing error messages: Exc in ev handl: 
- Top issues: Foxtab broke with Flash and Skipity issues.
- SMS permission questions and votes on SUMO; this permission was added by accident and is removed in 11.0b4, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=728327
- Issue with Swype adding spaces between letters, maybe related to AUTO SPACING setting in Swype.
- Detailed report on 'desktop mode' feature coming to your inbox with user's expectations compared to other mobile browsers.
UX & User Research
Desktop / Platform
- Google announced that it would award up to $1m in bounties for any exploits in Google Chrome during the upcoming Pwn2Own Contest on March 7-9. Bounties will be $60K for exploits within the Chrome browser itself, $40K for those that exploit Chrome and additional software (eg Windows or a plugin) and $20K for those that manage to hack the browser without actually using any vulnerabilities in Chrome.
- Google Chrome and Gmail are now more tightly integrated; users visiting gmail.com with Chrome will now be asked whether they would like to open all email links with Gmail.
- Similarly, Google Spreadsheets now has a keyboard acceleration feature that currently works only with Chrome.
- Google announced that Chrome would support "Do Not Track" by the end of the year.
- A trackpad patent filing strongly indicates that Google is considering entering the desktop market with Android.
- Brendan Eich started a discussion on firstname.lastname@example.org about full support for 21-bit Unicode.
- In an curious story, Opera's App Store company, Handster, decided to submit Opera's competitor, Dolphin HD, to the Blackberry App Store, without permission. Handster says it was all a misunderstanding.
- The CEO of CrowdStrike, a security firm, announced that his company has found a WebKit vulnerability that allows malware to take full control of Android, Blackberry, and iOS phones running the browser, including controlling the camera and microphone and recording conversations.
- The open source WebOS project announced that in March they would add support for the OpenAL Soft audio API, the OpenG and WebGL graphics libraries, GStreamer, a new Linux kernel, LevelDB and a USB debugging toolkit.
Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- Preparing for next merge on 3/13 (Aurora + Beta too).
- 3.6.13 to 10.02 MU offer now available
- Currently at MWC demoing latest native UI builds (see also http://paulrouget.com/gaia/ ).
- Telefonica signs up for Mozilla's mobile Web OS
- Mozilla Boot to Gecko hands-on (video)
- Mozilla backs Facebook's mobile web standards push
- Track Who’s Tracking You With Mozilla Collusion
- TED 2012: New Browser Add-On Visualizes Who Is Tracking You Online
Questions, Comments, FYI
Actions this week
- Asa to follow up with Comms on announcing end of win2K support. For consumers, it's time to upgrade your OS or move to Opera. For managed deployments, the ESR supports win2K for another 10 months or so.
- Kev to follow up with McAfee on error from Desktop Feedback