< Firefox | Planning
Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
- Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
- Vidyo Guest URL
- 1 Actions from Last Week
- 2 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- 2.1 Firefox Desktop
- 2.2 Firefox Metro
- 2.3 Firefox Mobile
- 2.4 Services
- 2.5 Add-on SDK
- 3 Feedback Summary
- 4 User Experience (Research and Design)
- 5 Market Insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team
- 6 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- 7 Questions, Comments, FYI
- 8 Actions this week
Actions from Last Week
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- Fifth week beta has gone to build
- Looking good for release - biggest issue(s) are with Win 7 update and D2D, QA is doing testing
- Firefox Metro Iteration #4: March 14, 2013 - March 27, 2013
- Total Iteration Work:
- 3 existing feature changes.
- 7 existing feature defects.
- 8 new features.
- Currently Completed:
- 1 existing feature change.
- 6 existing feature defects.
- 3 new features
- Remaining Work:
- 2 existing feature changes.
- 1 existing feature defects.
- 5 new features.
|848155||Change - Add Colored Bar with Text to Bottom of Topsites Thumbnails||ASSIGNED|
|846365||Change - New window opens in desktop Firefox when closing Metro Firefox||ASSIGNED|
|844954||Defect - Devices that only support DX9 fail to startup in Metro mode||ASSIGNED|
|851388||Story - Add support for caret selection via touch||ASSIGNED|
|831610||Story - Import browsing data from IE and Chrome||ASSIGNED|
|836791||Story - Junior-style back and new tab overlay buttons||ASSIGNED|
|831918||Story - Pin, Unpin, Hide, and Restore a Top Site||ASSIGNED|
|850737||Story - Smoothly scroll the Firefox Start screen||ASSIGNED|
|831609||Defect - Don't open the home page when launching Metro Firefox for protocol activation, search activation, file activation, and secondary tiles.||RESOLVED|
|850398||Defect - popup notification info bar shows again if "Never For This Site" is selected||RESOLVED|
|849342||Defect - Remember passwords preference does not take effect some times||RESOLVED|
|831614||Story - Set up Sync for both Firefoxes in desktop Firefox||RESOLVED|
|849608||Change - Auto close about, settings, and sync flyout panels on snap view||VERIFIED|
|849699||Defect - Cannot Select Email/Password Text Boxes on Twitter||VERIFIED|
|849604||Defect - Settings list is not populated if opened when program starts||VERIFIED|
|849607||Defect - Sharing in start screen AND if page has no title, should indicate nothing to share instead of error||VERIFIED|
|845155||Story - NewUI - Location Permission info app bar||VERIFIED|
|831923||Story - Use the Firefox Start Top Sites tile group in full screen view||VERIFIED|
Iteration Burn Down Chart
- Planning for Q2 and Beyond is Underway
- Thank you Necko team for helping us get this fix ready in time for Beta Uplift: Bug 832942 - Searches to Google.com over SSL cause OOM error page on ARMv6 builds
- We also backed out the mini-app mode button for Samsung tablets until we have more feedback that the feature yields acceptable behavior for users bug 842911
- A fix for was also uplifted bug 827208 - Tabs tray button hit area is too wide
- We shipped Beta 5 to Google Play Last week (version bump due to chem spill): https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Fennec/20/Beta/5
- Beta 6 qualification will be underway once we have a build avail: https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Fennec/20/Beta/6
- Righteous Blog Post by ibarlow talking about Web Content Fonts (shipping in Fx21): https://blog.mozilla.org/ux/2013/03/improved-type-on-firefox-for-android/
- We are evaluating the value of an uplift for bug 815862 - Increase max allowed acceleration for high-res devices (e.g. Nexus 10)
- Two HTML5 features landed: HTML5 <input type="range"> and Web Notifications. We got a bump on html5test.com for the range control, but the notifications are blocked on bad testing code. David Baron has a pull request to fix html5test.
- Blue Tooth Support Landed thanks to a contributor at Plantronics
- We are working on fixing webapps in nightly bug 844895
- Dynamic Toolbar is now enabled by default; we are evaluating to be sure it's good before the merge to Aurora on 04/01
- Check out the nightly Twitter Account for up-to-the-minute status on all of the fabulous: https://twitter.com/FennecNightly/
Release (1.13.2 -> Firefox 19, 20)
Stabilization (1.14 -> Firefox 20, 21)
Development (Firefox 22)
User Experience (Research and Design)
Sorry! No update ready at press time. Will add later.
Market Insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team
Desktop / Platform
- Coming later today
- Google is rumoured to be unifying its communications services. Voice and messaging products like GChat, Google Voice, Talk, might be integrated into a Babber name. The announcement is expected to be made at Google I/O in May.
- Samsung revealed the new Galaxy S4, expected in market in Q2. Most differentiating feature is the capability to sense so - called "air gestures", which are made by hovering the finger above the screen, rather than touching it. Also of interest the eye tracking capability. Other specs include a 5 - inch screen, a faster processor (1.9 GHz quad - core or 1.6 GHz octa - core) in variants of the Qualcomm Snapdragon and the Samsung Exynos series, a bigger camera (13 MP).
- Google removed AdBlock Plus from the Google Play Store. The developer still has the app available on its website and will add it to alternative stores. Existing users can continue to use the service, but will not receive updates from the Android store.
- IM app Cubie shares how they got to be featured in the Google Play Store. "When Google contacted them, they had already satisfied three of Google’s top four criteria: an app that competes globally, a high consistent star rating, favorable user comments, and design criteria. For the final aspect, Cubie had to adapt to Google’s requested design restrictions before being let on the featured section of the Play store." "Before we got on Google Play, our total downloads across iOS and Android were averaging between 15,000 to 20,000 downloads per day. After being featured on Google Play, we were getting over 50,000 downloads per day on Android alone."
- Amazon to start carrier billing partnership with Bango this year, signaling more interest from the company in the phone segment, as carrier connectivity is not as prevalent on tablets. Rumours are around more push for the Amazon Android app store and a possible Amazon phone.
Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- Future of Firefox dev tools revealed
- Mozilla Plans To Improve Firefox Developer Tools With In-Browser Editing, Better Firebug Integration, Network Panel & More
- Mozilla Shows Off Powerful New Developer Tools for Firefox
- Mozilla Foundation unveils dev tools
- Working on a Private Browsing move communication plan
- Engagement team in midst of Q2/Q3 program planning
- Social API multi-provider landing in Firefox 21 - soft launch to test the API