Firefox/Projects/Eradicate Startup Dialogs
Startup dialogs significantly impact the amount of time it takes users to get on the Web and retrieve a piece of information or complete a task, which is Firefox's primary purpose.
In many cases start up dialogs represent some form of failing, ranging from a failing of engineering (unable to find or implement a cleaner solution), a failing of design (unable to determine the best approach) or a failing of security (delegating a decision so that we can blame the victim). In all of these cases the dialog itself is simply the manifestation of a larger problem that we need to attack. So perhaps "the eradication of start up dialogs" is an overly negative title, this is really more about "solving a range of complex problems, but entirely behind the scenes."
Currently working on locating all of the dialogs, and finding solutions to eradicate as many of them as possible.
Getting Bugs filed on every dialog.
- Add-on updates
- Add-on installed, at least when incorrect bug 528423
- Add-on may not be compatible
- Updating progress bar
- bug 307181 Install the update with a separate process so the time to switch over on load is insignificant
- Default browser
- "Firefox is already running" dialog
- Master Password
- http Auth
- Choose a client cert (bug 395399? bug 32010?)
- NTLM? bug 318253
- Possible to get a postdata dialog on session restore?
Might not be worth removing (significant problems):
- Locked sqlite file
- Locked profile
Dialogs on exit
- Save and quit
- Downloads in progress that can't be resumed
- Update restart bug 434987
- Project Lead: faaborg
- Help with gathering bugs: jesse
- Extensions related work: mossop
This space intentionally left blank :)
- Zero start up dialogs
- >0 start up dialogs