Firefox/Projects/Tab Matches in Awesomebar
Sprint lead: limi
Sprinters: bmcbride, limi, ashughes (QA)
- When an awesomebar result matches the URL of an already open tab, it should indicate that and allow the user to switch to that tab instead of duplicating it.
- Aza has some design suggestions
- So does Madhava
- Boriss is interested (& happy to give unsolicited opinions)
- Limi wants to drive this for 3.7, blog post with some suggested changes
Try server builds are available at http://people.mozilla.org/~bmcbride/tabmatches/latest/
See (bug 480350)
Goals / Use Cases
- Reduce the number of unintentionally created duplicate tabs in the users large tab set
- Allow users to create duplicate tabs if they actually intend to have duplicates
- Allow users to search for specific tabs, which should be faster than a browser operation with the all tabs control, and is fully integrated into our central UI for searching, the awesome bar (as oppose to creating another field).
- Promote tab searching over other types of revisitation (for instance placing all of the tab results on top)
- Overly complicate the current design of the awesome bar (through things like the introduction of additional icons, arrows, or moving the focus right/left in addition to up/down)
Limi's follow-up blog post with some suggested changes
- Test Plan
- Status: complete
- Initial round of testing complete
- Development is currently fixing bugs
- I believe QA can call this complete for all intents and purposes.
- I will continue to triage incoming bugs, verify bug fixes, and look for new bugs in day to day usage going forward