- 12:00pm PDT (19:00 UTC)
- Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
- join irc.mozilla.org #bonecho for backchannel
- Bon Echo RC 3
- Post Mortem
- The Final Push to Firefox 2
- QA Team
- Build/Infrastructure Team
- Product Team
- Extension/Developer Relations Team
- Schedule Checkup
- Any Other Business
Bon Echo RC 3
- shipped on Monday Oct 16th at 3pmish PDT (ahead of schedule again!)
- another smooth release
- triage on all Firefox 2 / Gecko 1.8.1 blockers has been quiet for a week running now
- no changelog published (we heard complaints about a lack of changelog before); do we want to start doing these?
- preed: I have a script that turns bonsai query results into a changeloggish format, I'll see if it needs updating
- schrep: just a buglist would be fine, yeah
The Final Push to Firefox 2
- wiki tracking page has the list of tests for RC3
- no new issues have appeared since RC2, so things are looking pretty good
- pkim: QA's testing the in-product pages right now with us, but that's the last big item
- timr: we also have some end-to-end testing to make sure that the locales are sending the appropriate tracking codes to partners, etc.
- Assuming no respins, we need to move deliverables around on servers, no AUS work needed (RC3 doesn't need to be updated in any way to become Firefox 2). This would take about 1 work day to complete.
- If respins are required, then we need to do the standard process we've been using for each RC, which takes 4-5 work days.
- justin: don't release this or next thursday, let us know as soon as possible. There's one step left to do before our mirror network is ready. I'd also recommend not going between 10am and 2pm, as those are already high-bandwidth times.
- bsmedberg: since we're not pushing updates, what sort of load are we expecting?
- schrep: we don't really know, but it's bigger than our average update size, and the swarm we're expecting is about 5x normal traffic
- pkim: for in-product pages 36 of 39 languages have been translated and are now up on staging server, we're missing Bulgarian, Macedonian and Belarussian.
- wclouser: we're pretty good on the server side as well, garrity's finishing some CSS issues for LTR
- pkim: the mozilla.com updates are being delivered later today
- schrep: can we push the in-product pages before release?
- pkim: yes, and that would make QA easier
- beltzner: we should make sure that our existing redirect-fu doesn't adversely affect previous versions of Firefox?
- schrep: when we push to the live site, we should check this again
- cbeard: we should also set up some regression testing suites to make sure we don't break this in the future when we do our security and stability releases
- pkim: there's some additional plumbing stuff that needs to happen on mozilla.com, pushing all root-level content and moving it to en-US/ to prepare for hosting all localized content on mozilla.com
- wclouser: those redirects and preperatory steps are already on the stage site as well
- mary: press briefings have been happening, a bunch more this week and next week. Lilly's in Japan this week. Wrapping up the reviewers' guide for european journalists next week. Also trying to wrap up the press release very soon. Schrep's going off to Europe next week as well. Should be a total of about 150 journalists contacted.
- 280 Firefox Parties registered, and the party pack is going to be available soon
- shaver: we're also missing comps from nobox about the add-ons related in-product pages (bookmark add-ons, add a dictionary link). This will take both HTML production and redirects.
- axel: we usually do a final sign off from localizers saying that their locales are ready to go, since they have not been able to test in-product pages
- schrep: maybe I'm being dense, but the only thing they need to test is the code that calls the URL, which they have already signed off on. Are there other issues that might result in us pulling locales?
- beltzner: so are we signed off on the code/bits that are in RC3?
- beltzner: I need to hand pkim a list of final release notes as well
- cbeard: we should be following the standard product release checklist in these meetings from here on out
- chofmann to update us on extension developer outreach (still several extensions to be updated), as well as many popular extensions in AMO queue to be reviewed.
- cbeard: we've been doing outreach aggressively, about 700 extensions have been updated. Now we're moving on to 1:1 outreach for the most popular extensions which haven't yet been updated
- shaver: we have a set of 25 recommended extensions that we'll be driving users to, and we're focusing on getting good screenshots and copy produced for that ASAP.
Any other business
- bsmedberg: locale packs will be put on AMO in time for release
- RC 3 Release: Monday, Oct 16th
- All Project Dependencies: Tuesday, Oct 17th
- Release timeline decision: Thursday, Oct 19th
- standard release checklist being tracked and managed
- in product pages online & tested
- mozilla.com pages staged & tested
- release notes staged & tested
- EULA staged and tested
- press release ready to go
- extensions updated & ready for Firefox 2