Firefox3/StatusMeetings/2007-09-18

From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox 3 Meeting

Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays - Firefox 3 - 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC
  • Mozilla Building S - <script> conference room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x91 Conf# 217 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 217 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #granparadiso for backchannel

PRD Status Update

Open Action Items

  • dmills to have followed up with robstrong about where localizable string with partner name will be used in UI (needed for INST-005a)
    • action item: thunder to confirm with Baz and Kev
  • mconnor to follow up about landing Microformat API post M8
    • action item: carried over to this week
  • beltzner to publish 20 UX / 5 delight bug list
  • mconnor to publish list of features that can land post M8

Schedule

  • Proposed Schedule
  • M8 signed off by QA, should be released tomorrow
    • post M8 we're frozen for new features, meaning that we'll continue planned implementation work and new UI (beyond polish) will land post M8, under tight driver control; mconnor to publish a list of this set of activities ASAP.
  • Current BMO report for blocking-firefox3+

Work in progress

  • Web-based protocol handling (PH team)
    • feature complete
    • polish and cleanup work ongoing
    • test webcal: handler in progress
    • dmose needs to coordinate with product/partners/docs/l10n folks this week
  • Microformats (mkaply)
    • mkaply still on vacation
    • API needs to be approved and landed
    • action item: mconnor to follow up with mkaply
  • Places (Places team)
  • Download Manager
    • cross-session download stuff (for save to disk) mostly landed by sdwilsh.
  • Storage (sdwilsh)
    • SQLite 3.4.2 landed & backed out. Will not re-attempt due to compiler errors, might retry with 3.4.3 if it comes out in time.
  • Password Manager (dolske)
  • Addons Manager (Rob Strong, Mossop, mwu)
    • gavin working on ui-rewrite
    • new icons will be added to the icon inventory
    • mconnor working on redesign of XPInstall dialog, should be able to take that soon
  • Distribution Reqs (dmills)
  • Security, Privacy, Identity
    • backed out due to performance regression
    • badware blocking page landed (test page here)
    • action item: beltzner to liase with stopbadware.org to get malware site list hooked up
  • Installer
  • Retention (No PRD Category)
  • User Experience
    • now is the time to start ensuring bugs are filed (or beltzner is emailed) on polish issues, wording issues, etc.
  • Theming/Visual Makeover

Security Review

  • Design Review Proposal
  • Suggested order for review
    • Password Manager (done)
    • Offline Apps next!
    • Places
    • Web Content Handlers
    • Microformats
    • RSS
    • Add-Ons
    • Cross-domain XMLHttpRequest
    • Distribution/Customization
    • ContentEditable
    • Private Browsing
    • Malware Protection

Release Notes

QA Status/Topics

  • Draft Fx 3 Test Plan wiki
  • QA has signed off on the M8 builds
  • Work continues on Feature Test Plans linked from the Firefox 3 Test Plan Wiki. Seeking review and comments on the Vista specific test plan
  • Litmus triage team actively Triaging in-litmus? bugs and assigning testcases to litmus for those features.
  • This week's testday will focus on Platform and OS integration.
  • Testing, Verifying, Testing, Documenting, Testing...

Build Topics

  • go given for release 18sep07; waiting until 19sep07 because of FF2007 traffic load.

Localization Topics

Round table

  • Documentation for Firefox 3 is perilously close to "complete" (assuming that everything that needs to be documented is in fact listed on the documentation plan as it should be. If you've been slaving away at something that's not on that list and should be, you should add it now if you want excellent documentation to be available by the time Firefox 3 ships out the door!
    • This week, work begins on cleaning up the existing cycle collector docs and writing new reference documentation for it as well.
    • Next week will be mostly about trying to finish the Places documentation.
    • After that, unless someone comes up with more Big Things to document, Firefox 3 documentation becomes mostly about clean-up work and touching up stuff whose APIs are still in flux.
  • Need better ways to test for performance locally
    • timr: we're working on a try testserver, no firm target on when it will be available
    • try to test against large data sets
    • stuart apparently has a local testing rig
    • mconnor to attend performance

Gecko 1.9 Meeting

Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays - 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC
  • Mozilla Building S - <script> conference room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x91 Conf# 217 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 217 (US)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #granparadiso for backchannel

General Discussion

  • Mike Connor and Beltzner have specific ideas about perf goals to address wrt chrome and front end performance items. Next steps is to come up with specific goals by coordinating with Vlad and others.
  • Memory usage is better than 1.8 with the latest image usage changes by Stuart.
  • Memory leaks still need to be addressed. There's a specific bug on nsITimers (387341) that needs to be fixed. Also, a new leak added due to Sayre's efforts: 396368.
  • Jonas: Requesting approval for a new feature: postMessage. We will accept compelling arguments for this feature until next week and we will discuss it at that time.
  • New version of the App Shell implementation: Jonas suggests running a fuzzer on the new implementation. Conclusion: Go ahead and land.
  • 1.9 Alpha 8. On track for a release this afternoon.

Blockers and Noms

Blockers report:

GFX Update

Layout Update

Content Update

Waldo has an implementation for postMessage. Arguments for taking it at [1] and patch in bug bug 387706

Mac OS X Update

  • discuss new appshell impl, bug 395397
  • group member tasks
    • Josh working on 10.5 support
    • Colin working on native theme rendering blockers
    • Stan working on clipboard and drag'n'drop blockers
    • Steven working on various blockers

Platform/Build Tools Update

Release Notes