Firefox:22.214.171.124:Test Plan:OS integration
We need to check OS integration across platforms, even though the security problem was associated with IE and Firefox (http://www.xs-sniper.com/sniperscope/IE-Pwns-Firefox.html). We need to check file handling, launching Fx from other apps, and command line launching from MacOSx and Linux.
Testing Results and Assignments please test the fix on both branch and trunk and report results here:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199pre) Gecko/20070712 BonEcho/188.8.131.52pre
Used test cases included in the bug, and the website with examples, while Firefox was closed and while it was open. When it was open I got errors in the console such as this (this is good):
Error: [Exception... "'Abort' when calling method: [nsICommandLineValidator::validate]" nsresult: "0x80004004 (NS_ERROR_ABORT)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]
If Firefox was closed I would get errors from the OS such as:
IE cannot open the helper application for firefoxurl:test" -console". The protocol specified in this addresss is not valid. Make sure the address is correct, and try again.
I saw similar results when using the shortcuts using the Run option in the Start menu.
Also tested launching these shortcuts from other applications like Outlook Express and Word Pad.
OS integration testing went well on yesterday's branch builds of Thunderbird and Firefox.
I tested with Mail.app, launching from Safari, launching from Firefox, etc. and various permutations such as setting default applications and back.
I too tried the scenarios in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=269305, but I wasn't really expecting them to work at all, given that it's Windows-specific (never hurts to check more).
- Tested Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206pre) Gecko/2007071203 BonEcho/220.127.116.11pre.
- Litmus Windows Vista Test Suite - PASS
- I tried launching Bon Echo from all possible places including web shortcuts, Start box. I tried changing protocols back and forth between IE and Firefox.
- I ran all the scenarios from this attachment - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=269305. Firefox did not launch. In each instance I got some sort of error message, but Firefox was not launched by any of the links.
- I did not see any of the errors that juanb reports on XP.
- I tested on a Vista VM as a standard user.
- Tested on Linux Fedora and Vista/XP and i can confirm the Security Bug as fixed and also no Problems found on extended Linux Testing