There are a couple of problems existing in the way we do downloads right now that affect users in various ways:
- there is much code duplication relating to file and path name validation in the browser and external helper app service due to the lack of a simple API for file transfer that coalesces all such code. This results in bloat and multiple sites to consider when addressing security issues.
- performance of the download list is sluggish when the download history is long.
- Could use a different default setting for when to clear the downloads history
- download Manager does not support Torrents or similar distributed downloading systems
- Add a checkbox option in Options dialog/General/download like "Show download dialog while opening a file" to don't display systematically download dialog when you are only opening a file like a JNLP file. This option could be unchecked by default.