Firefox Core Engineering/Get More Data Faster< Firefox Core Engineering
This effort is establish a shorter path between client crashes and actionable data.
Step 1: in progress
Land content crash ping (enables new crash ping types). [end of Q4 2016]completed: 1293656
Determine how to report on unsymbolicated stack in crash pings (we want to identify what we can answer from the data we collect now, without aggregating and without symbolicating). [mid-January 2017]
Scale/load test the new symbolapi.m.o (we want to know if this will serve its current function AND a future function for release users). [mid-January 2017]This has been abandoned in favor of a rewrite led by peterbe.
Determine if we can include frame pointers on release (because it enables future steps). [end of Q4 2016]completed: 1322735
Add support for CFI-based stack-walkingcompleted: 1333126
- Re-engineer the crash handling code in progress: 1323979
- Add support for getting client-side stacks traces Fennec in progress: 1307153
Step 2: in progress
- Implement clustering of crashes on the client-side, based on signatures. [TBD]
- Establish means of identifying top crashers in client-side data via signatures. [TBD]
- Enable correlating between client-side crash clusters and crash-stats-side crash clusters, via client crash id (see 1322611). [TBD]
- Symbolicate crash ping stacks on the client, via https://symbolserver.mozilla.org/symbolicate (see peterbe). [TBD]
- Return signatures to the client, via a signature service. [TBD]