Gaia Weekly Meeting
- Date: 2015-09-01
- Meeting connection details: https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G#Meetings
- Host: Ben Francis
- Minutes copied to the wiki by host each week https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gaia/Meeting_Notes
Alternate Meeting Times:
- "TPE/EU" meeting time: Tuesdays 02:00 Pacific
- "EU/US" meeting time: Tuesdays 9:00 Pacific
Announcements & Notices
- dev-gaia and dev-b2g mailing lists are merging into dev-fxos
- You should automatically be subscribed
- IRC channels planned to merge soon too
- Please don't post to the new list until Google Groups archiving is set up
- Do you want to be automatically subscribed?
- mhenretty: no
- sfoster, nhirata, dietrich: yes.
- Conclusion: yes.
- Host needed for a couple of upcoming Gaia meetings, let benfrancis know if you're interested in hosting
- Two smoketest blockers
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1197750 - [Contacts] After updating contacts, the old one and new one both exist, but they are the same
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1198824 - [Dialer] Call volume cannot be adjusted while screen is turned off by proximity sensor
Gaia Architecture Work
- Telemetry library
- This week Bug 1179662 and 1178923 landed.
- Lot of discussions ongoing regarding gzip compression for payload. Consensus seems to be implement within a worker inside of system
- Design near complete for 1171685 to avoid duplicate counting of devices.
- Web app bridge
- Messaging between contexts in a busy app is slow
- Trying to work around with caching
- Service workers
- SMS app conversion (Julien: sorry that I can't make it)
- This week we mainly fixed regressions from past week's landings.
- discussed with bzbarsky and ehsan about why we maybe don't need prerendering -- filed bug 1199674 to add profiles so that they'll be able to look at why we're slow at changing pages.
- otherwise, other work is moving forward: startup profiling with workers, services implementation...
- Music app conversion
- Working on features, performance
- Activities done, removed dependency on Service Worker, test coverage
- Contacts app conversiontam
- Not sure Service Worker ready for Gecko 44 so not planning to use them in 2.5
- Platform team has a plan for pre-rendering, but maybe a year of work
Talking this week: Updates:
djf: no voice update this week, won't be able to make the call
Contract UX work has started
Contract for preliminary engineering work is in progress but has not started yet
There are some unowned commitments for Red Tai that we made long ago, primarily around the Kill Switch feature; managers are looking for developers to help with this. (Hopefully we won't have much more of that)
Talking this week: The team: evelyn, rexlee, johnhu, lchang, tzu-lin, yifan, seanlee; UX: tori; Product: Joe; EPM: Josh Updates:
Media front end
Talking this week: Our team: dhylands, djf, jporter, hkoka, dmarcos, wilsonpage, justindarc, rnicoletti, hub, aosmond; Product: ?; Ux: amlee, tshakespeare, jsavory, hnguyen; EPM: mtreese QA: njpark Updates:
Talking this week: Sprint tracking wiki: Notes: Updates:
Talking this week: timdream, steveck, evenxd, gasolin, snowmantw, rickychien The team: Updates:
Systems front end
Talking this week: The team: cserran, gwagner, qdot, michael h, aus, alexandr, francis, jason, pdol, benfrancis, daleharvey, gmarty, sfoster, naoki, tef, tedders1 Updates:
- Pin the Web on track for feature complete 18th October
- Some design changes, see the wiki for the updated spec https://wiki.mozilla.org/FirefoxOS/Pin_the_Web
- Most features still behind a setting
- User testing planned for third week of September, pilot happening today
- Late Customization - initial implementation underway in bug 1193587
- RTL should start soon!?
- Vaani has a sampler as well as an app that will be landing in dogfood soon.
Dogfood build : bug 1196645 has landed, waiting for green build.